4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

towing a car!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:25    Post subject: towing a car! Reply with quote

Has anyone towed a car before?  what contraption have you used to hook up a car, or was it a flat bed trailer type arrangement?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want to do  Question

Tow a car that is stuck in whatever, for that use a tow rope. Apparently, no longer legal for road use, shame  Sad

Tow a car for long distance, use a Towing A frame -
Often used by Motor homers, towing a small car for local journeys, when they reach their destination.

Also used by motor rescue operators, AA, RAC etc, taking cars to wherever  Question

A single tow bar can be used, but does require a driver in the towed car for steering.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you just wanting to tow the car once, or regularly tow it, eg to rallies/shows?
If you want to tow a car without a driver, you'll need an A-bar to ensure the car follows the tow vehicle without wandering, and you'll have to allow for the un-braked weight of the car pushing you when braking/slowing down.
You are allowed to use an A-bar on the motorway, it is illegal  to tow on a rope on a motorway, and  indeed, towing on a rope is stressful and dangerous, and requires two drivers experienced at towing and being towed.
The towed car's engine generally needs to be kept running as otherwise  it will have no power steering or brakes, so be  hard work to drive.
annek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, and sorry for missing these answers, thanks for posting your thoughts.

It was to tow a car a distance, not an emergency tow-rope type situation, which I have done a few times now!  and helped others start their cars at the end of festivals.

but no, this is to do what you see motorhomers doing when they trail a small car along behind them off on their hols.

Been looking around for the suggested A frames, does this mean getting work done to the towed vehicles?  As recovery vehicles towing a break down don't do this do they?  and they don't always use a trailer.
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi annek.

You ask “does this mean getting work done to the towed vehicles?"  - Possibly.

A)  If towed vehicle is automatic, or electric, a drive shaft or prop shaft may need to be removed.
This applies if there is no mechanical Neutral gear position option.

With modern Auto transmission, a drive shaft, or prop shaft must be disconnected.

B) Where this may be a problem, then a “Towing Dolly” is required – The driving axle/wheels being located/placed on the “Dolly”

Do bear in mind, that towing most cars will show the towed mileage on the Odometer.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my old MGF may at some time have been a motor-homer's car as it has hefty brackets welded on to the front subframe so it can be towed with an A- bar.
annek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo!... that sounds heavy duty, something I've not yet come across, by the way, 'MGF'?  Didn't know what that was.

Are you saying all vehicles connected to an A-frame would need some form of additional welded brackets to accommodate?
annek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deker wrote:
Hi annek.

You ask “does this mean getting work done to the towed vehicles?"  - Possibly.

A)  If towed vehicle is automatic, or electric, a drive shaft or prop shaft may need to be removed.
This applies if there is no mechanical Neutral gear position option.

With modern Auto transmission, a drive shaft, or prop shaft must be disconnected.

B) Where this may be a problem, then a “Towing Dolly” is required – The driving axle/wheels being located/placed on the “Dolly”

Do bear in mind, that towing most cars will show the towed mileage on the Odometer.

Mr D

so, based on this, if a vehicle is either manual or has a neutral gear position nothing major needs disconnecting?  

...and, yes, I had thought that about the rear wheels turning potentially clocking up [undriven] mileage on the towed vehicle.

What I have gleaned so far is that possibly brakes and lights need connecting to the towing vehicle when using an a-frame, but you don't think so?
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

oooo!... that sounds heavy duty, something I've not yet come across, by the way, 'MGF'?  Didn't know what that was.

Are you saying all vehicles connected to an A-frame would need some form of additional welded brackets to accommodate?

MGF, small mid-engined sports car produced by MG Motors.

Normally on an A frame the front wheels are secured to the A frame by straps. Otherwise how would RAC/AA recover vehicles.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

annek wrote:

A. so, based on this, if a vehicle is either manual or has a neutral gear position nothing major needs disconnecting?  

B. What I have gleaned so far is that possibly brakes and lights need connecting to the towing vehicle when using an a-frame, but you don't think so?

A. Automatic will need drive mechanism to be disconnected.

B. The brakes do not need be connected, under a certain weight (which would normally be greater than a ?Regular? sized car)
Such type of system is referred to as "Fifth Wheel" Used for for heavy trailers.

A lighting board MUST be fitted on towed vehicle, and MUST show towing vehicle Number plate.
The Trailer/lighting board MUST also display Red triangles.

Note: I used MUST in capitals to show Road Traffic Act. Also shown in the Highway Code.

Mr D
annek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fostlongstrider wrote:
Quote:

MGF, small mid-engined sports car produced by MG Motors.

Normally on an A frame the front wheels are secured to the A frame by straps. Otherwise how would RAC/AA recover vehicles.

Ah, I think I know the MG, diddy sports car, I don't know why I was thinking it was an MGT, for some reason.

so all four wheels remain on the road then is what I'm getting from that...and yes, thats what I was thinking that they are just taken away by the recovery vehicle this way, or are the front wheels put into two wheel holding structures so the front is off the ground, or maybe both exist, but I could have dreamt that up!
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front wheels are off the road in a support A frame.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall that several years back, when V8 rick (RIP) was still with us, he came, in his own Deli, to collect mine which had a blown transmission. He had a rigid towing unit that fastened to my front axle/ steering, allowing him to tow it, with the wheels still on the ground. All he did was disconnect the rear end of the propshaft and bungee tied it up to the exhaust pipe, put it in neutral, with a towing electrics board on the back end. then took it back to the farm workshop he worked in, with me in his passenger seat.  He loaned me a car to use, on his insurance. Then three days later I drove back to his house and collected mine back.  All for a very reasonable price that no local garage could match. 😀👍

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back, I got towed home in my Renault five miles by a local garage, when the clutch cable had snapped, - using a single, rigid bar, attached to the towing eye - all I had to do was steer. Completely irrelevant for your (Annek) towing intentions. Rescue services might A-bar a vehicle over short distances as per the strapping method described by Fostlongstrider, but if you intended to regularly do long distances, you would need purpose made brackets and shackles, I would suggest. If you didn't want them welded, they could be securely bolted, I guess. Perhaps you'd get better info on a motorhoming forum?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered I took a photo of V8 rick's towing gear.

It fastened onto the ARB, making towing easy:-

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was it attached to the steering?

Flying Brick Supporter.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves me right (it was back in 2013  Rolling Eyes ) there were chains from the bar fixed to the track rod ends, by a clamp, holding the wheels straight ahead.

ルイス
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

So didn’t actually steer the towed vehicle.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, he towed it.  I didn’t say anything about steering it. It definitely stayed in a straight line behind his Deli whilst he towed it.

It’s possible that he locked off the steering wheel someway, after he put it in neutral, before he closed the door, but by then I was sat in his vehicle, so only saw what is shown in the photo.

ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. Folks - - Might be some heavy reading here. So, I'll keep it brief.

A towed vehicle will follow the towing vehicle - - Where a two point fixing is made to the towed vehicle.
The front (steering) wheels will turn in accordance with the forces exerted by the towing vehicle.

A single bar, will not allow towed vehicle or trailer to follow the towing vehicle accurately.
Same as a Tow Rope.

Think of a trailer (Like a caravan, not D plate type artic) single articulating point at towing vehicle - and A frame as part of trailer.

Mr D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: