4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

TPS

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy W

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 17:05    Post subject: TPS Reply with quote

Hi,

I set up my TPS earlier in the year and just got it set at maximum adjustment which made a massive improvement to gear changes.  The only problem I get is driving at 70 it goes through period of changing down a gear and then back again, after a few minutes it settles down again and then after a while when the throttle position changes again the whole process starts again.
I am thinking it is a worn TPS having done 160000k's now so am looking to replace it.  Looking on the internet there are dozens which look correct but don't necessarily say Delica: has anyone bought one recently and if so where from?

Thanks, Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 17:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it there's no chance you have a dodgy temp sensor/connection or low coolant, telling the gearbox ECU that the engine isn't warm enough to allow O/D to be engaged?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a large number in white printed on top of the TPS, just get one that is the same.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible Andy, traveled up from Brighton to Northumberland for Christmas, everything was fine but the next day it wouldn't start and eventually did with clouds of white smoke. The smoke reduces when it's warm, but still far too much: it's been smoking a little for a few weeks which bothered me but now it looks to me like the head gasket or cracked head.
Thanks Lewis, I'll have a look when I am working in that area!
Cheers
Andy
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the TPS, I am trying to find a replacement sensor, don't want to go second hand with this but I can't find one anywhere.  I've searched the internet, tried the usual Milners, Pajero Shop & Japanese 4x4Parts, all with no success.
Has anyone any idea where I can get one from apart from Mitsubishi?

Cheers, Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare one.   Smile

But it's attached to a spare injector pump. Very Happy

Try this company, who do pump repair kits and OEM branded parts:- https://injectionpumps.co.uk/

I also spotted this image on the internet, which indicate Zexel may do one to fit.
The cable in the image is shorter than the L400 one, but the rest of it is the same.

https://cubeupload.com/I'm/Lewis/L400TPS.jpg

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've just spoken to Mitsubishi in Brighton and they say they don't do one, I have to buy the whole pump!

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just stripped the one off my spare pump, which came of a later model 2.8TD Deli, and it has 424 on the top.

Underneath there is a Zexel brand stamp. That confirms Zexel make them.

The one on my Deli has nothing on it - Before you ask, no I am not going to remove it to look underneath.  Smile

Disregard my comment in the last post, about the cable length, as both are short cables, almost 17cm long.

It works in the same way as the gearbox speed sensor. I.E. containing a connecting pin spinning a disc, creating an electrical signal that is sent to the control unit.

I cannot see anyway for one of these to develop a fault, as they are sealed units.

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lewis, yes mine has 424 on it as well; apparently they can get a bit noisy like an old crackly volume knob - there are a few posts here or on the Aussie site.  I've now had two diesel crowds tell me these things are obsolete which is worrying.

My symptoms are driving at 70, the gearbox will drop down a gear or something two and then back up again and I have to take my foot off the accelerator for a few seconds and then gently accelerate again for it to stop; this is also happening at around 40 as well but not as noticeable.

Could it be something else, I've seen a gearbox speed sensor somewhere or other today, could it be that?

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gearbox sensor is huge and would not fit in the TPS housing.

If you look at the back end of your gearbox, on the passenger side, it's the item sticking out at 90 degrees behind the transfer casing.

Here's a piccy of one:-

L400 speed sensor

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they're not the same, but I don't know what the speed sensor is for, do you know what it is there for, (apart from sensing the speed😂) anything to do with gear changes?

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is what tells your dashboard display how fast you are going.  Rolling Eyes

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nothing to do with gear changes?
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try switching to HOLD on the AT switch. Helps when Speed sensor fails.

Mr D
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, thanks Mr D👍
Andy W

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Switching the AT switch made no difference, though I did change the speed sensor anyway as I had a spare.

I'm struggling to find a TPS, the only one I can find is from our go friend in Wigan! I think I'm going to have to purchase it from him which hurts!

What components govern which gear is selected when in drive? I'm thinking it is the TPS, the speed sensor(maybe), the kick down cable and the control unit; if that's all there is, then it must be one of those at fault or incorrectly set up I guess, or am I missing something?

Cheers, Andy
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea that the L400 box was so different from the L300's, which is totally hydraulic, apart from the manually switched solenoid valve on O/D. I don't think it has a TPS, gearchanges in D are controlled by the fluid pressure (which is a function of torque and engine speed) and the mechanical kickdown cable. And it works, very reliably. Sorry this isn't any help, unless your problem is hydraulics related, which I am sure you will already have looked at.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deker wrote:
Try switching to HOLD on the AT switch. Helps when Speed sensor fails.

Mr D

That is the wrong use of the Hold selection.

Hold Mode: - Hold showing on dash (usually off) - is for use when moving off, from stationary, on snow or slippery road surfaces. When the gear selector is placed in 'D' position, the vehicle is forced to take off in 2nd gear rather than 1st, to make starting easier, then go into normal mode.  

This saves having to have the gear selector in '2' then move into 'D' after you get going.  It also restricts the maximum revs of the engine to 3000rpm (approx).  

Note:  The Delica Manual states:- "low revs, when under high load will generate more heat in the gearbox.  You can flip the A/T switch to any mode whilst driving without taking the vehicle out of gear.

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been wading through the electrical drawings looking for inspiration and can't find any reference to the auto transmission control unit, am I not looking properly or is it not in the manual?

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transmission ECU is located under the floor level computer cover, below the centre session of the dashboard. The relay is located behind the glove box.

If you look at the workshop manual showing the electrical looms, it is marked up as item C18.

NB: Workshop manual location are mentioned in the L400 Tech Faqs section.

ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: