Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Squeaky belts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 21:57    Post subject: Squeaky belts Reply with quote

Intermittently the engine belts in my V6 3L petrol 2006 Deli squeak. I forgot to ask the garage to look at this when I had it serviced, and on picking it up, when I did ask, the bloke said it can be a pain as adjusting it takes some time. Is this true, or should I have a go at trying to retention the belts?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 21:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

given the lack of response to this, I guess whatever is squeaking is not belts.

It does seem to be only when in full lock, so not sure if it's actually bearing related?
Deker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Jim, just seen this  Embarassed

Sounds like slack belt/s. Some tricks =

Naughty Garage trick, spray WD 40 on the belts. May cause belt slip, don't worry the WD 40 will dry off.

Nice Garage Trick - If you can get to the belt/s apply French Chalk/Talc

French Chalk is an excellent friction enhancer.

Has the opposite effect (friction reducer) when stroking your lovers skin  love3

HTH

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

At full lock, you are putting greater pressure on your steering pump, so that will tend to make your belt squeal, just as the turning resistance of the alternator, trying to charge a depleted battery, can make the belt squeal - a common issue on the diesels, which take a lot of power through the heater plugs and starter motor on first start-up. A small amount of tightening adjustment can make a big difference to squeal. If you have any mechanical know-how, I would say it is worthwhile learning how to do this on your Deli, but warn any audience about the up-coming bad language, like they do on the TV!
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, thank you. A quick inspection (with the help of a bungee to keep full lock on) has helped me identify that the power steering pump is at top left of the engine, facing it. The wheel over which the belt passes actually momentarily stops as the belt squeaks.
I can see the adjuster for the tension on this belt, but not sure how much tension to apply. Just keep going until the squeak stops or is there a guide to the amount of belt play I should have?
Is it possible the pump itself is the issue, or the bearing of the pump wheel?
I mean, if I adjust it until the squeak stops, is it possible I am only addressing a symptom and possibly making an underlying cause worse?
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.

A general guide to belt tension =  If you can push/pull the belt more than 3/8" it may need adjusting.
If the belt is short, then the push/pull distance would be shorter.

Garage/Mechanics trick = Grasp the easiest/nearest belt pulley - try to move/revolve it, if you can, then tighten the belt/s.

Mr D
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine needs a tighten soon, squeals only when gunning it out of a busy rush hour junction on a hill.

It won't be that hard to do, probably similar to the diesel.

When I get the chance, I'll put on my findings. 👍
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your L400 pump adjustment is like my L300's, there is no screw-type adjuster as such, it's a case of loosening the clamp bolt/nut, and levering the pump a little while you re-tighten the clamp. Important not to undo the clamp too far, or the pump will move, slacken the belt, and you won't know where you started from, so leave some friction on the clamp.
I'd also advise against continuing to pull the steering wheel against full lock, it can't go any further, and you are at risk of blowing a seal. I'm not sure if there is an over-pressure release valve in the steering system, someone else may know - maybe that is what belt slip is for!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: