Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L400 PD6W 2006 petrol engine E10 fuel compatibility

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

fintious wrote:
I’ve emailed mitsi uk for clarification and will post back if I get an answer

I would be interested to hear the answer, but I feel it will be, we do not have any specifications for that vehicle, as it is not a UK import!

I can't see why emailing mitsi Japan would do any harm though if that fails.?

With the Internet now, and Google translators, it should be doable. 👍
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 19:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

fintious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an email back from Chloe at Mitsi Uk who has confirmed that 3.0 v6 is compatible with E10 fuel….
richjp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fintious - good to know, thanks for passing that on.
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

fintious wrote:
Just had an email back from Chloe at Mitsi Uk who has confirmed that 3.0 v6 is completeatible with E10 fuel….

I'll eat my words!
richjp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

And E10 will possibly still eat the fuel filter  Laughing
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wishing to be pedantic, but I also wondered whether the engine will be fine, but other components not!
fintious

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked her to double check re GDI engines and she replied that she had again checked with the technical department who confirm that the engine will be fine on E10 so I’m confident now👍
JimmyG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question of fuel compatibility has been worrying me too, as I have only recently switched to a petrol Delica (after many years with a diesel model). So, if we can place our trust in "Chloe at Mitsi UK", all is well.

Mitsubishi have a name for over-engineering their vehicles, which is one of the reasons they have a good reputation. My instinct is to trust that the 6G72 engine can probably tolerate quite a range of fuel. Having said this, for long term engine health and economy it is better to have definitive advice from the manufacturer.

I am currently in Greece, where most of the filling stations don't seem to have any idea whether they are stocking E5 or E10. My best guess would be that I am getting the (potentially) troublesome E10. There isn't always any choice of Premium Unleaded, which here is only a little more expensive than Regular, and I'm not sure what I would be paying for (slightly higher octane rating?). I am a bit cautious about claims that we will be able to find either option in UK or Europe, but will keep studying fuel pumps for any information on display. I wonder whether they will start marketing a fuel additive specifically for older engines which need E5 or equivalent? I plan to look into this.

Good luck one and all.
JimmyG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue still niggles me. Any recent updates or fresh opinions?

The 6G72 engine is described as GDI, and I have read that Mitsubishi were proud of its clean technology when introduced.
With the roll-out of E10 petrol, public information is advising not to use E10 in a GDI engine, as already mentioned in this thread.

It is great that a member has approached Mitsubishi for advice. What do we do about the conflicting recommendations?
Who do we trust?

Of course, a gas conversion might go some way to solving any potential problems, if one has the spare cash to invest.
b3lha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think the Delica has the GDI version of the engine. I think it's just regular MPFI. It's a very old tech engine, even when the cars were new.

I'm not too worried about using E10 fuel. I put it in my Subaru when I went on holiday to Germany and the engine seems to run better on it.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you missed reading my post on page 1!
Lewis wrote:

The 6G72 used in the Delica is a 24 Valve SOHC GDI  (The DOHC variant is twin turbo)

GDI = direct injection of fuel otherwise it is a Naturally aspirated one, using a Carburetter.
A GDI  engine uses a leaner (thinner) fuel mixture.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I also contacted Mitsi UK through the online chat, and after giving my vehicle VIN they confirmed it IS compatible with the E10 fuel
JimmyG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this.

Maybe the general published notes about E10 non-compatible engines are too general. Mitsubishi should know.

I agree with Lewis that the 24V SOHC 6G72 is listed as GDI, but I didn't think to ask my engine guy for his wisdom. I've been filling with Super Grades (97/98/100) while out of the country because I was worried, and I wanted to see if it made any difference to mpg. It is mighty expensive. I will start saving up to have a gas conversion, and make a point of asking the technicians exactly what fuel injection system I have.

It is helpful that Members are alert and asking questions, even if we sometimes offer conflicting opinions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: