4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Exhaust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 17:44    Post subject: Exhaust Reply with quote

Has anyone recently bought a new rear section for the V6 petrol (6G72)?

I am wondering if it needs to have the small rear box, or whether it can go straight through from the main muffler on a single length of pipe (like the diesel)?

I urgently need to replace the rear section for Mot, hangers (pressed sheet steel) behind the rear bumper rusted out. The original item connects to a flange back from the main muffler and over the rear axle into a small silencer box and tail pipe (all one piece). Milners don't offer exhausts for the petrol model. I've not had experience using a Mitsubishi main dealer. Obviously I'm concerned about price, and delivery time. I've read here that Ross at Harrats was the go-to guy for Parts. Is he still there? Has anyone had dealings with Batchelors, York and Ripon?

I've seen some posts that recommend going for a full purpose made stainless system (and of course the hangers are nice steel bar), but I'm not ready for this at the moment (front sections look in surprisingly good condition).

I'm caught in a bit of a Catch 22, because it isn't yet registered (just imported), so no number plates and not legal to drive around for quotes. I cannot apply for first registration with DVLA until it has an MoT, and I know it will fail MoT.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 17:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

fintious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed to replace the flexi section a few months ago and had to have one made as nobody stocks them. Mitsi dealer could get one sent in from Japan, on special order,r which was about a six week wait.
I assume a back box would be similarly difficult to find?
JimmyG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local Mitsubishi main dealer haven't supplied parts for the Delica. They looked it up and the rear section would be almost £350 with a 30-40 day delivery time (probably shipping from Japan). Obviously a no no. So, I'll have to get something made up for me. If anyone has recommendations Yorkshire, it would be good to know.
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your pipe good to a point behind the axle? If so, and the main silencer/expansion box is good, then almost any piece of pipe that fits should do the job; all you'll need is a clamp and some way of hanging it. You may even be able to find a suitable back box with pipe, if you take the diameter you are fitting to along to your local exhaust centre. You may even find that equivalent V6 engined Shogun/Pajero yeilds compatible parts. If there is only a short piece of good exhaust behind the front box, you may be able to source a short bent piece to give a side exit exhaust. As it's a grey import, it is unlikely to fail any examination, as long as it is not too noisy, doesn't leak, and is secure. Testers won't have a manufacturer's spec against which to check it.
JimmyG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system looks good and solid as far as the joint behind the main muffler. The original fixture is a bolt going into a captive nut on the flange, which I'd quite like to keep, although the thread is rusted solid. The pipe over the axle clearly needs to be replaced, and it has a number of bends....so not a straight(ha!)forward fix. I've been told that the small silencer box just behind the bumper isn't essential. So, a single length of pipe (probably stainless) made to fit would be ideal......not sure that I want a side exit (although I enjoyed Lewis's humorous comments in one of the Posts I read). My Mot garage are helpful and accommodating, but I'll have to cobble together a repair for the broken hanger which has detached from the pipe itself. If all else fails (ha!), I agree that a short side pipe might do. For a sensible job with full length replacement pipe the fabricators must have the vehicle, and I cannot drive it without First Registration, which requires the Mot (my Catch 22).
Thanks for the ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: