2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

cutting wheel arch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxerbloke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 20:34    Post subject: cutting wheel arch Reply with quote

As you can see my 31" tyres get really close to wheel arch, all is fine until i am on a downwards slope, i have cut away seams and some other bits, question is can i cut off that area with the bolt ??  

no idea why my van has so much trouble with 31's. seen other vans not lifted with them on and no mods and all is fine, seen delis with 33's . but mine seems to struggle. anyone care to bung up pics of cut away arches?  would be good to see for reference: Cool

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 20:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, could the offset of your wheels be causing the rubbing? I fitted two different makes of tyre to the front and back wheels of my L300 nominally the same size. I had a squarer profile which rubbed at certain angles, so I had to fit them on the back. The less aggressive, more round-shouldered A/Ts fitted on the front without rubbing.
boxerbloke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have paj mk2 wheels fitted, pretty common among Deli options. i do have 30 mm spacers fitted but i had the problem before this. it just seems to be my Deli?  it has always sat high even before i lifted it and changed wheels etc. i guess the sensible thing would be to go down to 30's. but i am not that sensible  Laughing
boxerbloke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add the pic is when the Deli is on full lock. there is more clearance with wheels straight.
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you turn the wheels, that 30mm starts to add to the radius of turn from the centre of the ball joints. If the wheels turn by 30 deg, they have probably moved by 10mm further towards the wheelarch than they would without spacers. Small, but possibly critical difference.
boxerbloke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andyman, I know I've created my own problems  Laughing but lots of people bung on different wheels,spacers etc without the headaches I seem to have, god knows how anyone manages to fit 33's Shocked
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two options for this.

1. Flatten the seam. Remove mudflap steel bolts, then trim plastic areas that will interfere with the movement of the tyre fitted.

2. Flatten the seam and steel bolts. Then let the tyre remove whatever it rubs against.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good way to get highly polished, BLINGY wheel-arches! Very Happy
boxerbloke
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis,
I've already bashed over the seams and cut away things that come close to the tyres, that bolt on the lower seam I might cut off as looks like it's spot welded too.
All is good until the van is on a slope, would like to make sure that no matter what the wheel doesn't foul. I know the obvious solution is to go down to 30's but I don't want to do that.😂

Love to see pics of what others have done to accommodate bigger tyres
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All is good until the van is on a slope ,"
Does this suggest that your wishbone bushes are a bit too flexible? Or is the transfer of weight to the front pressing down the suspension a critical centimetre or 2? Or both? Would winding the torsion bars up a little bit help? (if you haven't done that already).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: