Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Water Pump bypass pipe install

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 22:58    Post subject: Water Pump bypass pipe install Reply with quote

Has anyone changed the water pump by pass pipe on an L300 ?
I’ve installed a new atrr pump on put everything back on. Engine ticks over nicely. There was a very slow drip coming from the pipe. slightly moved it and the whole pipe just came out. clearly it hadn't pushed on as I thought it had when tightening up the water pump to the block.

Seems like an absolutely ridiculous design to just have a push fit for something so integral... I have a new ‘O’ ring, pipe and water pump so three new parts and they are proving hard to push together.  Anyway any ideas as I've been pushing with all my might under there, used half a can of silicone on it, used a G clamp to try and push it in. I’ve now got it bolted on fully to the two mounting positions on the engine block, so surely it should be fully in the WP. But the rubber O ring is still protruding out slightly causing a leak.

I’m so confused how if it’s fully bolted on it’s still not in? and how it is even meant to push in. The water pump is after market so i’m thinking it could be not machined absolutely correct? i'm stumped!

Any one done this job? Any help hugely appreciated as this is the final job then I have my lovely van back...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 22:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't yet had to tackle this job, but perhaps the diagrams and other info in the L300 FAQs - Downloadable workshop manuals will help. The PDF on "Cooling", pages 30/85 onwards may provide some useful info. It doesn't look like any part of the O ring should be visible once the pump is installed.
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy thanks for the response. Yeh I had a look in the FAQ and nothing online that I can find. How do I upload pictures on here? I can show people the issue I'm facing.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put pictures in your post see this ‘how to do it’ post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12958

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy. Thanks for for the link.

This is how far I can get it in and its fully screwed in at the back and therefore can't go any further into the pump. yet you can still see the ‘O’ ring slightly... Very confused.

Mancdelica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lewis** for the post on how to do it.
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to look at my engine tomorrow to see if I can orientate myself to your pics! I assumed from the manual diagrams that  the ‘O’ ring would be completely invisible, firmly seated, pushed right into the pump, once bolted up.
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much that's good of you.  Yes exactly. Even the ridge behind the ‘O’ ring should be covered inside the waaterpump from the diagrams. I mean there must be some slight flex in the pipe but surely once it’s bolted on around the block, the set length of the pipe should mean it’s firmly in place. I can’t wrap my head around it. plus in terms of pushing it on before fastening the bolts, there is no room to do so really.

Thanks again. would be great to get a picture of yours and see how it’s meant to sit.
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can get some decent pics without dismantling anything. Then I'll see if I can learn how to post pics on here! When it comes to IT, I'm a complete dumbass!. Or start a post on MDOCUK FB, I can post pics on there.
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh don't worry if you can't though. The picture upload was easy enough following that earlier post from lewis. I used the same 'cube upload' and it was easy enough. I'm not the best with computers to be honest.

you might struggle to see from the underside but it is possible. If you stick your head under and look up on the side of the alternator you can see the pipe going into the waterpump. I can see the ‘O’ ring on mine. Those pictures were from the top though with the seat and handbrake plate removed etc so you won't see much from there.

But yeh any clarification or idea how yours might have been fitted would be awesome thanks.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got one in the shed, an old water pump with that pipe still installed, so I'll take some pictures this evening for you.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kgddNXTAqso9dj9u7

The pump is very old, probably factory from (I think) a '93 L300 and the pipe didn't take too much wiggling and only a little hand force to pull it out. No tools needed.
Note the seal on there is tapered so the slimmer end of the seal goes in first. The hole in the casting is smooth, so there is no lip to get the seal over, but there is an inner lip to stop it going into the thermostat.

It may be the pipe needs fitting off the vehicle so your can wiggling it around further and get more purchase on it.

Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy thats great of you to take the time to do that. I now know how it should look. Mines a 91' L300 diesel  and exactly that set up.

also seeing yours off your van like that shows it must be possible to push it on before fitting them both. Although I can't picture it at all as even when I had all the pulleys, crank pulley, PS pump etc out of the way the exhaust manifold is very much in the way to simply slide it down past the block. ill have another head scratch down by the van this weekend and see if I can get anywhere...

thanks again.
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Andy can you clarify what you meant about being tapered? the seal as in the ‘O’ Ring? as mine came cylindrical the whole way round. I think that might have just happened over the years in your pump from being in there for so long. The one that came out of mine was literally flat. Sorry if thats’s not what you meant though?
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the rubber ‘O’ ring seems to be tapered - thinner towards the open end of the pipe as it were if you zoom in you can maybe see. But as you said that could just be 28 years of wear.

It is a tight fit, the sort of thing you'd want to wiggle around to fit in.
Can you check if the pipe goes in all the way home without the ‘O’ ring just to check the casting hole depth is correct?

On my one the ‘O’ ring is just lower than the edge of the casting so fully in the hole.

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS it's Roger, not Andy.  Laughing

Mancdelica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god I'm so sorry Roger. That twice in this same post I've done that. I'm super tired getting in from work and forgetting who replied to what. My apologies.

Yeh good idea with the test fit. Two brand new machined parts and a perfectly new ‘O’ ring clearly aren't going to be easy to fit but at least I can work out if it’s a dodgy after market waterpump or not.

I'll be under it this weekend and see how far I get. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, ROGER! Very Happy  thanks for taking those pics, no way I could get get in there to take anything useful without some dismantling, but at a glance, those pics explain how the pipe is supposed to fit, if I ever have to take my pump out.
Mancdelica - Hopefully we'll be able to meet up with leak-free Delicas in a few weeks time!
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ROGER....  Very Happy I don't suppose you could do me a huge favour and take a picture of your full water pipe you have off your van, from the same angle in this picture. I have taken it off quite sure I've bent it upwards. Would like to confirm as I can’t find any pictures online of it other than on Amayana and its hard to see from those drawings.

I fixed the pipe then bolted the waterpump on, pushing it over the pipe. From what I've since learnt it’s the other way round I should have done it. And it being not aligned is the reason for my struggles I'm guessing?

And yes ANDY  that would be fab to meet a fellow Delica and its owner when the weather/restrictions allow. hopefully mine will be all leak free by then...

okay I think I almost got everyones names right this time........Phew...
Mancdelica

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple more I just took. hard to convey in a picture. No worries if you can’t i’m quite sure it’s bent and was originally flat. It’s just been so long.... Time for a vice and two bits of wood this weekend...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: