Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

sun roof overhaul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 16:47    Post subject: sun roof overhaul Reply with quote

hi
my sunroof opened up only once after i bought the car. wouldn't close and got stuck in tilt position.
motor turning and switches working, to slide up and close it needed literally a hand but then stuck in tilt. motor turning and noise from gears like overriding or grinding

have now followed Lewis' brilliant step by step guide

found that quite some screws were loose or not there at all

the one mounting plate holding the right worm gear in place just fell out when i took out the motor

the gear i changed upside down. not sure if it is worn. looks same up and down side
the teeth are rather flat, not sure how it's supposed to look like

now my challenge finding some screws that will fit
and then put back in place what I've undone...

i will upload pics now

any advice how the mechanism for tilt can be reset or released to close manually!?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 16:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

peter_rookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://app.photobucket.com/u/peterpacceo/p/19e428f3-0381-4eb0-85e4-f1e4e7ef1670

https://app.photobucket.com/u/peterpacceo/a/a291c547-f643-44bf-a360-fae097f42026/p/bc78cf66-548e-4c93-adc3-20aa3b1313d5
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

and as I don't have the right screws at home I ordered some online and hope to continue later next week.

as there wasn't much to do I took a closer look at the roof itself. all clean, on the body but the frame of the sunroof has some rust spots. took my multitool with a wirebrush and cleaned them up, always amazed how versatile this little tool is.
then put two layers of ruststop/converter on and finally soaked the rim between frame and rubber with fluid film.

in theory good to go but still bit puzzled how the alignment of the roof will go once it ll be back together.

found that i can slide the left part of the mechanism back and forth but the right one not.
may there be something broken? as said before right one would pull down when roof is detached, left one not.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are the brackets

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2g5o1n7tmik24o3/IMG-20210313-WA0025.jpeg?dl=0

here the gear
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4dxqqe88zvstsq/IMG_20210313_161350.jpg?dl=0

di you think it's done?
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi All,

well the question if the gear is done or not can be answered easily....compare with the new one which I have now found. total loss I would say
almost 10 Euro for this small bit seems quite much but what choice do you have?

if anyone in search of it please see:

Pajero Sunroof Cog
or
this one the lowest price but shipping to me is 21 GBP!  Pajero Sunroof Cog

Pajero Sunroof Cog

(Url ebay links shortened to aid page formatting. Admin)
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have now read through the sunroof thread again and found more pics of the cog, now i am a bit confused.

shall it have sharp teeth as the one on the current shopping links or flattened ones?

appreciate your help
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see the one I built, it has blunt teeth on the cog compared to the sharp teeth on the links you posted.

Rich
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, this is what got me confused.
do you by any chance still know what the diameter or depth of the profile should be?
mine is about 13.1mm or 33/64" and pretty even pattern. think it was probably turned already as a lot parts came off or were loose up there. motor hang on just one loose screw.
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the CAD model I drafted, the cog outer diameter is 13.2mm. The diameter at the bottom of the teeth is 11.19mm.

15 teeth with a slight helix and an internal spline fitting again with 15 teeth.

Thickness 3.6mm with a raised profile around the centre spline taking it up to 4.0mm in the centre.

Rich
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Rich,
well then I am still in the tolerance I would think with 13,1. good to know, thanks , I will put it back together and try that way.
since the internals were so messed up with loose components and parts falling out I suspect this is why it would have turned over.
anyways the gear strings/worm drive (sorry donīt know how thatīs called) seem to be quite clogged from that old grease. probably not possible to take them out without removing the entire roof assembly?
Iīll give it a try on the weekend, hope I can get the mechanism somehow into sync as itīs stuck in tilt.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got it going!

as said there were a few parts pretty loose in the roof assembly, motor etc., all fell apart when I opened.

I have now managed to put it back together and to work and did not need to replace the gear at all. measures seemed still okay compared to the ones Rich has built.

when motor is out, loosen up the two plates holding the worm gear lines in place, just slightly loosen the four Philips screws. now take a flat screw driver and push the worm gears until both side brackets are in closed position, hard to overdo it. remember, one of my brackets would not return to closed position and got stuck there, roof would not close. altough it all looked old and clogged worm drives moved freely and easily.
when all in closed position, plug in motor and switches but not installing it yet. push closed position and wait for the drive to stop. do it again if you want to be sure, again, there is no overdoing it. this requires ignition on.

now tighten bolts on the two plates holding the worm drive, then put the motor back in and fix it there, easy fit. try now switching open/close and see the brackets moving to open and close in full sync, if the gear is okay now all should be good. try couple of times to make sure itīs not pure luck, listen to the motor and gear whirring softly you donīt want strange noises.

while sunroof is not yet put in place have a look at the draining pipes and make sure they are not clogged. you might use pressurized air gun for that. mine looked neat.
once you are happy with the back and forth movement to be in sync you can put in the window, buddy lending a hand comes in handy. unfortunately all shims just fell off when I removed the window, was not taking care of their original position so had to find out anew. no biggie.
aligned the sun roof on the edges and fixed with bolts.
now try out how it opens and closes, mine worked super fine, happy as a clown and good to finish up with the reverse installation of all parts as described in Lewisī thread. helped a big deal!

thanks heaps.
YOZA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up.

But do you really need a sunroof in Vienna ?

Very Happy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exceedingly useful for letting the hot air rise and pass through the opening.  Very Happy

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, global warming includes the continent as well and itīs not just traffic or digestive systems of cattle   :-)

actually I do need to get the AC working as well, summers are getting hotter every year and benefitting from the central location itīs not too far to even warmer regions on the Balkans or Italy :-)

but that will be a different challenge, no idea what it takes, AC belt is disconnected so not even know if the compressor still works.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first and hopefully only thing you need to do is refit the belt and ensure it is adjust correctly.

See this oh to do it post, with photos:-  http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49537

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Lewis!
!
my friend just bought a L400, local version with 2.5td with 99HP, 4D56 I think?
this seems contagious as covid
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the 4D56 2.5TD L400's sold in the EU are only 2WD.

Look at his wheels and count the wheel nuts.

Five = 2WD
Six  = 4WD

ルイス
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are right, it's a 4WD version, decent 140tkm, 1999
7K Euro...!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: