4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

European parts / post-bexit trade deal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Parts suppliers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:04    Post subject: European parts / post-bexit trade deal Reply with quote

(non-political post - just a practical problem)

Hello.

Has anyone had experience of getting parts (or anything) from Europe now we in the UK have our brexit trade deal with its supplier VAT obligations, unfathomable customs charges and courier admin fees?

Just looking at some repair panels here https://l300company.pl/ and wondering what the sting in the tail may be?
I understand anything over £135 in value will incur import taxes so trying to work out if lots of smaller orders below £135 with lots of individual shipping charges works out better than one big order?

I've heard some small traders have just just given up with the UK as the paperwork is too much hassle.

Maybe after lockdown the cheapest option would be a holiday in Poland and get all the welding done there ;-)

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!
Just an update. So panel that is £74 (which I thought was okay) and pre-brexit packing and shipping of £22 (a little steep, but big part coming from Poland so okay) now has p&p + tax/duty of £68.
Makes total £142 delivered.
Hmmm. Should have ordered last year!

So just finding out if I order lots of items if the shipping is more economical, or just loads more tax and duty.

Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a big sheet of steel, and a big tin of filler. So far I have been able to batter the few bits I have cut, into near enough the right shape, weld it, grind it and use remarkably little filler. Well now I have retired, I have the time to mess about! I don't expect to see a Brexit dividend any time soon, but importing those parts by the truckload might be worth the paperwork and import duties. I notice e-mail phishers are trying to convince me to pay extra import/carriage charges before my goods are released for final delivery. I haven't clicked the "Pay now" link, and everything I have ordered has arrived anyway.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only people who should contact you with regard to collecting import tax and vat is the carrier that will be delivering to your house.

You should, previous to any request for payment, already have an email from the supplier advising who the items have been shipped with and their estimated date for delivery.

For those of you using windows mail the actual address that an email has been sent from, as opposed to whom they claim to be, will be shown on the email after their name.

For those of you with an iPad click on the blue lettering of the senders name and the sending address will show, which will allow you to check if it is a scam or not.

If still unsure then call the delivery agent by phone, to check the shipment, using their website phone number, not the one shown on any email.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis.

The supplier has got in touch and offered a full refund before shipping (I've so far only paid the original amount). They haven't given the other details about the carrier or breakdown of costs so I'll go back and ask.

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression they are a small outfit trying to make sense of the new rules

jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience of doing anything like this yet.
All I know is that the last round of Christmas presents from/to family took nearly two months to arrive.

As for the specific outfit you're talking about PinkPig - I've seen stuff advertised from them. Definitely did sound like a one-man-band sort of setup.
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis said:"The only people who should contact you with regard to collecting import tax and vat is the carrier that will be delivering to your house." In this case, they are purporting to be Royal Mail. Obviously, if something doesn't arrive, I won't be contacting them through the link in in their e-mail! I've also had Lloyds Bank, who I don't even bank with! There's an awful lot of conmen out there (and conwomen!) And that's without the phone calls!.
peter_rookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately need to double that, lot of cons

same challenge goes for shipments from UK to EU now.
paying VAT twice plus handling fees is limiting purchases.
paid a total of £25 on VAT and duties for a 30 EUR item lately, need to be more cautious
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that eBay have now created an extra field for 'Europe and the UK', obviously as they can no longer class the UK stuff in with Europe.

I also limit my searches to Free P+P, having noted an increase in sellers from America, who often have postage prices that are four or more times larger than the actual item costs.

See this ripoff merchant wanting £14 for a broken (Parts use) lithium charger, with an extra £40 for postage.  Shocked

I've noted that Amazon is also well used for Cons. I keep getting emails to my Miitary website, saying they have just debited me for renewal of my Prime account, with a link to click for any problems.
The only problem there is theirs and that is down to there not being an Amazon account, never mind a Prime account registered to it.  Laughing

Those sort of emails are matched by the amount of spoofing reports I send to Amazon about them.

NB: If you do get phishing emails or scams sent to you, then just forward them straight to  report@phishing@gov.uk  then delete them from your email system. You will almost instantly gett a thank you message from  phishing.gov which is the national cyber crime centre. They use the reports and the IP Addresses they came from to build up a picture of the servers being used in the scams. The more info they get the better, which allows them to co-ordinate with the other countries and shut down a whole chain of servers, rather than odd ones.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have reported a few to phishing@gov.uk. and a couple to actionfraud, although they are really for when you have actually been defrauded. I got a phone call today, asking me whether I was suffering from spoof calls, and wanted call blocking? The  caller then started asking for personal details. I said that this sounded like a spoof call, and I was going to put the phone down. She beat me to it!
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well good news.

The body panels have arrived from https://l300company.pl/2-strona-glowna in Poland.

Took a bit of time as he was getting the sill pieces made so waited until it could come in one package.
I got 1.3m of large sill panels (in two 65cm lengths to fit in a smaller package)  and a driver's side rear wheel arch panel.

Took its time to arrive (via most of europe according to UPS tracking) but I got no additional tax/import/customs charges. P&P/Shipping was £68.05 Shocked all in - hence getting him to slice the sill panel so I didn't have to pay for two packages. Last year that would have been about £22  Mad

No idea if that works out cheaper than getting stuff from East Asia, but it is definitely cheaper than paying a fabricator to faff around with the curvey bits - can just chop everything out and do some nice straight welds.

Next then is welding and painting. Knowing me, another few months...

andyman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, and nice to know they are a reliable supplier. I'm dreading the day I have to remove my plastic sill covers and find what lurks beneath!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you’ll do that well before July 5th.  Laughing

ルイス
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Europe opens again I'm very tempted to go on a road trip and just buy a load of panels while they are available.

andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis said "Hopefully you’ll do that well before July 5th." No, on a L300, sills are cosmetic trim - the chassis/frame is very strong and sound, and will hold all the important bits together! Unlike a L400, where you need strength in the sills for when the frame rots away! Very Happy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the point!  Laughing

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. If I did start before the meet, I might not want to turn up with a frayed- looking vehicle. What the eye don't see . . .!
PPS. I hope we both get there on July 2nd! Shocked
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting there is one thing - getting home 'after doing jobs' is another.  Laughing

ルイス
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sills are still MOT fail on L300 if rust too near suspension as mine was last time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Parts suppliers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: