4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Ignition barrel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deli dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 14:05    Post subject: Ignition barrel Reply with quote

It is becoming increasingly difficult to get my key in the ignition so i had a new key cut which has eased the situation but only slightly. My mechanic has said it is important to get a new barrel and key before it breaks up and can’t get the key out,
have called my usual parts supplier (Milner) who told me to go to my local Mitsubishi main dealer but despite being very helpful couldn’t help me. If there is anybody out there who can point me in the right direction i would be most grateful
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 14:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it is the switch that causes sticking - May not be your case.

In the past, I have removed the barrel pins so that anything could turn the barrel.
That is what I will/would do if my Ig. barrel messed up.

That job - Best done "On the Bench" NOT in the car.

The hardest bit, is removing the Ignition switch, due to security bolts with the snap off heads -
But it can be done. I've done it several times. On cars, TXII taxi.

And a motorcycle I owned, where access to the security bolts was extremely difficult.
Previous owner/s had tried, and failed.
Reason for removal was due to a broken ignition wire in the switch, making intermittent connection.

Otherwise, get an ignition switch from a breaker - But you will have two keys  Sad

HTH

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to buy the ignition and all four door lock barrels from the vehicle, assumimg the breaker retained the keys for them.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second what Lewis says, as the ideal, and perhaps longer term, and longer to find, - solution. Plenty of running scrappers around, probably with keys and locks available.
Deker's solution would allow you to keep using your vehicle in the short term, without the worry of snapping your key, BUT leaves the vehicle more vulnerable to theft, unless you fit a hidden disabling switch, which I would connect into the fuel shut off solenoid wire. That way, any thief will find that the ignition switches on, as do dashboard lights, the vehicle will crank over, but not start. The would-be thief is less likely to go looking for a hidden switch, or vandalise your vehicle because you have obviously disabled it; he is more likely to think its a bad starter, and he has already spent too long cranking it over and over.
Deli dog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 15:05    Post subject: Ignition barrel Reply with quote

Thanks lads most helpful I’ll phone around and see what option I can get hold of. The old girls been great but would probably come into the bracket of ‘running scrapper’now as it’s been used daily and covered over 340,000 miles although you’d never
believe it, still very smooth with a great box and no leaks. Been so reliable reluctant to give up on it yet but i suppose I’ll have to bow to ‘progress’and start looking at the D:5's, which seem to lack the character of the L300 and 400 but can be made to look more like a 4x4 with a bit of work. Any owners out there with an opinion and supplier maybe to get me started? Once again thanks for the advice most grateful.
sir naggedalot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 15:09    Post subject: Graphtec Reply with quote

Lots of different types of lube but only one should be used on the inner workings of locks.
If you use powdered graphite then you'll keep your locks working flawlessly.
It's a case of if and when the drivers door locks starts to stick its time to shorten your graphite lubing regime.
Any form wet lube will result in jamed internals that even graphite will have trouble solving.
sir naggedalot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also wherever possible, try to get the new key cut from code and not the key as otherwise your copying the worn parts of them also.
The code is usually a letter then five numbers and on the original key on the blade down the side.
a top tip is to get the lockie to stamp the code onto the top of the new key!
You might be able to find the code in other locations on locks ect but I'm unsure about the Delica
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 13:07    Post subject: Re: Ignition barrel Reply with quote

Deli dog wrote:
.....Been so reliable reluctant to give up on it yet but I suppose I’ll have to bow to ‘progress’and start looking at the D:5's, which seem to lack the character of the L300 and 400 but can be made to look more like a 4x4.....

I suspect you will be dissappointed.

It is better to have a 4x4 that works as a 4x4, than something that looks like one, without the ability to perform.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: