4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Headgasket replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 15:16    Post subject: Headgasket replacement Reply with quote

Hi folks.

Currently undertaking a headgasket replacement using the the 4M40 engine manual under the rocker cover and cylinder head assembly removal and installation heading. I've essentially unbolted all it's told me on the head cylinder assembly in that section however its not separating. Tried levering the assembly off with the back end of a hammer but no movement.

I'm beginning to think i might require to remove more such as the inlet manifold to get the assembly to separate or perhaps use a better tool such as a crowbar to pry it apart?

(have pictures but not high enough rank to post yet)

feedback much appreciated!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 15:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mark3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2x 12mm headed bolts right at the front inside the timing chest (as well as the 18 main head bolts) plus you can lift it off with both manifolds still attached (the easiest way to do it) but you need to remove the three fixings holding exhaust manifold to turbo (turbo stays on the vehicle) 1x 14mm headed bolt and 2x 14mm nuts with lock nuts, if you only undone one nut per stud thats probably your problem, there are still two nuts holding the manifold to the exhaust manifold.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I suggest that once you have the head off that you check very carefully that the head is not cracked, if possible get it pressure tested as sometimes the crack may be between a water gallery and an inlet or exhaust port as I found in my case, cracked heads are a common issue when the engine has overheated previously.
slowood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys thanks for posting.

haven't had the time to properly check until now. I've done the diagram in the 4M4 Engine manual rocker cover section to a T; all 18 plus the two you mentioned at the front mark.
however in the same manual the three fixings on the exhaust manifold appears to be for the shogun? The layout is different on a Delica.

I’m not able to post any pictures yet but hopefully on the next post

P.s While i'm here could anyone recommend me to any mechanic who is in business who knows their way around 4m40 engine? (I’m in Bedfordshire).
mark3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you mention three fixings on the exhaust i assume manifold to turbo (nothing else i can think of uses three)

1x 14mm headed bolt that goes down through the manifold and screws into a threaded hole in the turbo's triangular flange, the two others are 14mm nuts on two studs from the manifold. BUT they have lock nuts on them so there is 2x nuts on each stud, this caught me out first time too, i was wondering why it wouldn't budge lol
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowood wrote:
Hi guys thanks for posting.

haven't had the time to properly check until now. I've done the diagram in the 4M4 Engine manual rocker cover section to a T; all 18 plus the two you mentioned at the front mark.
however in the same manual the three fixings on the exhaust manifold appears to be for the shogun? The layout is different on a Delica.

I’m not able to post any pictures yet but hopefully on the next post

P.s While I'm here could anyone recommend me to any mechanic who is in business who knows their way around 4m40 engine? (I’m in Bedfordshire).

You can try Rowland from Mitziheads, he's actually down near Poole I think but will travel, he knows the 4M40 extremely well and has done a couple of jobs for me and others on here as well 07427 493996 was the last number I had for him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: