4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

cv joint type noise but not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 14:37    Post subject: cv joint type noise but not? Reply with quote

I think I know the answer to this, but I just thought I'd double check with Delica oracle...

Front CV joints (on an L300 - given that the 4WD system is a little different on the L400) shouldn't be spinning at all right, with the front hubs unlocked and in 2WD?

Only reason I am asking is that I am trying to make sense of a strange noise in what I *think* is the O/S front suspension area. Clicking/ticking/very light "crunching" (that sounds worse than it is) when driving, particularly noticable at low speeds (although unsure whether it's just masked by usual road noise at higher speeds), intermittent only, and only when turning left/right. Doesn't seem to be particularly associated with hard lock left or right. I say intermittent, because I first noticed it back in the summer, but it had seemed to go away.
Reason I'm asking about CV joints is that it sounds like what I imagine a bad CV joint would sound like - only that none of the above is in 4WD/hubs locked. In fact, when I do lock the hubs, I haven't been able to replicate it at all.

I've had a good look around the whole suspension on that side, and I can't see anything obvious - apart from a small tear in the steering rack boot, and I'm at a loss how that would cause the noise?
Have given the entire area a good wash as well, no apparent issues with crud in the brakes or anything like that.
Wheel bearing appears tight enough although there is a tiny, and I mean tiny, bit of vertical "play" in the wheel.
Haven't (yet) dismantled the hub to check grease levels etc.

Any thoughts?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 14:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience of this (thankfully), but from what you describe, it sounds like it could be something to do with the hub freewheel mechanism. It may become obvious once you remove the freewheel hub cap. Is there much grease where the shaft enters the back of the knuckle?
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, interestingly, I had wondered the exact same thing myself. I did take the cap off yesterday to check and it looks as it has always looked - as far at the very end of the splined shaft and clip ring I can see, of course.
When it stops raining (probably by mid-May, ha ha ha) I will take the hub off and have a better look. Depending on what I find where I may repack the bearing. It's not super drastic but it does sound like there may be some "grittiness"; hard to tell with all the brakes etc also still in place, though. The discs are very recent, as are the pads.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. Yeah, I had some equipment to pick up in an ex-colliery today, so a good opportunity to give the 4WD system a good workout.

Definitely seems as though the noise is only really apparent when the hubs are not locked - when locked, didn't hear it at all (or perhaps only very quiet "hints" of it). I even drove back home on the road, with the window wound down, keeping the hubs locked but (obviously!) in 2WD.
Somewhat worried now that the drivers side Autohub may be the culprit. I've never been quite sure how they actually work, so hard to pin down exactly whether it could be that.
Will take it off, investigate and report back.

Incidentally - something that has just occurred to me. Does any one know exactly how the "wheel lock" light actually works, i.e. where the sender is and how exactly it "knows" the hubs are locked or not? Clearly it is different to the transfer box being "engaged" (I.E. transfer box sending "drive" to the front axle; a separate indicator light for that would be useful, thinking about it...).
There are also no (as far as I'm aware, anyway) senders/sensors on the hubs themselves.
So it must be to do with the front axle turning? Irrespective of whether that rotation comes from the wheels (overrun) or transmission?
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is useful information in the  PInk Pig downloadable manuals in L300 FAQs, starting in chapter 26 P13, and including a trouble shooting section. The hubs appear to engage through a sliding gear, though I've not worked out yet the operating mechanism.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are connectors on the transfer case for (I think) reversing light and the 4WD lights  - worth a check by disconnecting them in turn to see what they do?

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents Smile
I'll have another look at the manual, perhaps I missed it before.
Also, good point about the connectors on the transfer case. Thing is, though, presumably those would indicate the status of 4WD per se (i.e. drive going to the front axle), as opposed to the hubs being locked or not. The thing I'm puzzled by how the indicator/sensor can really mean "hubs locked" as opposed to "4WD" - given that it's possible to have the former, but not the latter, engaged.

Anyway - not made any progress on the mystery noise yet, other than it is still elusive. Short drive the other day didn't really given ANY cause for concerns (hubs locked or not). Certainly got me stumped, this one...  Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: