4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Chinese Diesel Heater

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 13:39    Post subject: Chinese Diesel Heater Reply with quote

I have decided to remove my Webasto water heater as it takes too long to give heat and draws too much from the battery. The Webasto is mounted under the air filter in the engine bay but I think it will be to hard to put an air heater there to keep it dry and to run the ducting into the cabin, so I am looking at mounting it in the tiny space I have left behind the drivers seat.
I'm guessing someone has already done this, so rather than reinventing the wheel, how have you set it up to get the combustion air in and exhaust out whilst keeping it watertight for those things you may go swimming?
Cheer Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 13:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

ArthurArthur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I have installed in the spot you said, behind driver`s seat.
I had to extend air intake to go lower then the floor level, next to the wall. There is a confined space too narrow for air filter.
Exhaust goes above car exhaust but below metal plates. I`m planning to extent with an extra pipe to have a fumes exit at the far rear. I have the heater 80 mm above the floor to keep fuel hose and air intake hose inside the cab. Besides, the floor is not flat.
If you already installed, where do you have a fuel tank please?
Andy W

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Arthur, I haven't installed mine yet but have a Webasto water heater I installed a few years ago which I will replace with the air heater.  With the Webasto, I set it up to draw directly from the main fuel tank so that didn't have to worry about topping up a small fuel tank regularly and the concerns of where to put it or spillages when topping it up.
Andy
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my L300, I've fitted a 2kw one under the floor between o/s torsion bar and gearbox. Its position is well sheltered from even the severest road spray, although I don't do deep wading (no snorkel!) The exhaust comes out under the sill. Only the warm air pipe, fuel pipe and wires go inside, just behind the engine hump. The tank is fitted inside, next to the sliding door, so I can fill it easily. The leisure battery is in front of the o/s rear wheel arch, but behind the driver's seat is another good place.
Andy W

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

So have you fitted it into a protective box of some sorts or is it open to the elements?
Andy
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's open to the elements, but with those big wrap-around mud flaps, it doesn't catch splashes. By contrast, the heater's exhaust terminates half way along under the sill, and catches all sorts of crud, but as it's st. steel, it doesn't matter. I know folks with other types of van fit splash guards or boxes. So far so good! Both the cabin air inlet and burner inlet pipe face backwards.
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started down the track of fitting it underneath but thought it would be too exposed so then thought in the engine bay under the air filter in the place of the Webasto that is currently there but decided running the ducting would be too hard so settled on behind the drivers seat.  That's the last place I wanted it but felt that was the best option but you've got me thinking again!
You can buy stainless boxes to mount the heaters under a VW camper, so I will have a look at those and see if they would be a good idea.
Andy
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see rather than an install kit they are now offering a portable metal box with everything inside it. Has anyone tried these? I sometimes want heat in a tent (well missus does!), or in the van and as far as I can see it would be possible to make this demountable to each and possibly run warm air pipes to both by having it sited externally.
This thing is less than £80 as a self contained unit so is beginning to look very interesting.

I did consider going down the internal install to the van, but it looked pretty involved.
The portable unit has a smaller fuel tank above the heater within the case.
See this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284268711582
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a whole FB forum dedicated to them, if not two. A 5kw unit with the multiple vents seems like a versatile option, after that, all you need is some lengths of suitable flexi-hose and a good leisure battery, and possibly a 100W solar panel to maintain enough power for ignition in the battery.
jim_lewis1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

not an FBer unfortunately. But if the general consensus is these are not dangerous in operation I will seriously consider getting one soon. They've certainly taken the fight to Webasto and Eberspacher which used to be the goto option as far as I know.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon I will stick to my Parabolic Gas heater, giving Instant heat, which I usually only need on for a few minutes to get the van warmed up in a morning.
It will take me years to use £80 worth of gas.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using three heaters in various places and never really had a problem with any of them; I have a 2kw unit in the van and that is definitely more than enough.  5kw I think it's way too big and you may have problems regulating the temperature, we've never been cold with 2kw and it is less than 5mins that the van is warm.
Andy
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree, for just heating the van, but if you are also going to heat a tent or drive-away awning, especially at easter or end of season, the multi-outlet 5kw will keep all campers warm and comfy. You can't use gas burners for long in an enclosed space, they create CO2 and water vapour, whereas these heaters keep the inlet and exhaust outside the warm air heated space.
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, but controlling a big heater in a very small space is a big ask.
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t bother I have a good sleeping bag and a quality double quilt to go over the top.
Lovely and snug on a night and when I get up in the morning get dressed and do breakfast.
Probably to do with my military service and mountaineering, don’t get heaters in a dugout trench or on a mountain!!

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
richjp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
I reckon I will stick to my Parabolic Gas heater, giving Instant heat, which I usually only need on for a few minutes to get the van warmed up in a morning.
It will take me years to use £80 worth of gas.

Do you have a link for that parabolic heater Lewis? I am after something similar.....
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had mine for quite a while.

This is the modern version:-  Parabolic heater

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
richjp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - yours looks like it goes on the camping gas big bottles though no?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

That photo is mine on a 907 (2.75Kg) bottle. It’s the same bottle I had on six years ago.
They fit any of that type of thread, though adapters can be bought for other bottles.

At one time I used a single pan burner on the same bottle, but now have alternative cooking facilities.

ルイス
richjp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the linked one has the smaller thread for the little portable (backpacking) bottles.

Yeah I've been looking for one of those single pan burners that will fit a 4.5kg calor gas bottle for ages..........I love the height to cook on outside. Just can't find one but maybe with an adaptor....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: