4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Diesel Injection Pump repair

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:
Just came across this, which may be useful to know about if you need to get the pulley off the pump, for some reason:
https://~.com/index.php?threads/ip-front-seal-fuel-leak-and-makeshift-sprocket-puller.2776/

Whoever wrote this article is being extremely overcautious, in reality these pumps aren't that delicate.

I've removed 2.5 drive sprockets many times by knocking a wedge in between the pump sprocket and engine body many times and it really don't take a lot of effort to get the sprocket to pop off, same with the 2.8 drive gear, once the pump is off the vehicle that is, it's literally a five second job.

Using a puller on the other hand is hugely effort consuming (obviously not on a 2.5 as you Can't get a puller on unless the engine is removed) I have tried many times with a puller and it takes a lot of tightening to the point where you think there will be mechanical failure and some rather heavy hitting too, really not good for a pump internals  Shocked

Big screwdriver inserted in the right place, few taps from a hammer and pop, it's off in no time at all with not a lot of effort required  Very Happy
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, useful info Mark.  thumbright

In your view, having done a few of them, can the top seals be done with the pump in place? Just for future reference...
mark3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the top casing seal and the throttle spindle seal can be done with it in situ, that said i never had any luck doing them, two attempts and on both occasions the pump lost all throttle response and for the life of me i couldn't see why, on both occasions i replaced the pump at my cost and needless to say didn't attempt it again lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m in the same boat! Recently brought a 1994 L300 2.5TD after a week noticed a few drips on the ground after driving around. looked around from below at the fuel pump deffo leaking from two places the middle bolt between the four injector pipes and one of the side plates that has two bolts in it. I have a repair seal kit that I purchased, I’m handy but not handy enough to mess with the pump. I’m guessing the 'O' rings cannot be changed with removing the pump? Also changing those seals will it then need retiming or resetting? Thanks 👍
ClockworkOwl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 20:55    Post subject: L300 pumps do fail! Reply with quote

My Pump failed on my L300.
 It was obviously having 'air' issues and I'd replaced all the fuel delivery pipes, some returns, and finally an expensive replacement filter holder / primer.
 Eventually it just started peeing diesel all over the front of the engine, belts and all... Embarassed

I had to take the pump off and get it rebuilt, DTM in Bristol were great, and it was £460 for a complete rebuild and calibration on a live test bench.
 Obviously getting the pump off isn't too involved, but resetting the timing is fiddly, and you'll need a dial gauge.
 I bought one but it's another £110 or so.
 If you've not replaced the timing belts recently it's a good time to as well!

Best of luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: