Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Two site Dales/North Pennine meet anyone?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Club events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:50    Post subject: Two site Dales/North Pennine meet anyone? Reply with quote

Notwithstanding the Welsh borders (Dingestow) meet, which WILL happen, WON'T it Deker: does anyone fancy a Northern meet as well? I have no specific dates in mind, but the two sites I have in mind are https://www.ushagap.co.uk/ which having stayed at previously, I can recommend, the second is http://www.alanholme.co.uk/ near Appleby in Westmorland, which has the benefit of a pub that does food within 200 metres.

The owner of Alan Holme site, who I have spoken to previously, on a reccy visit, phoned me yesterday to say that they will be open from July 4th, but due to Covid advice, they are charging a straight £20 for each pitch/ to enable family separation, and regardless of what rig you have or how many (including dogs) you have in your vehicle/family group. I suspect all campsites are going to be formally organised into pitches because of Covid, so we won't be able to simply "circle the wagons" as we have done at other meets.

Both areas offer a huge variety of scenic drives both on roads and tracks, and hopefully a wide range of newly re-opened attractions all keen to please and encourage you to spend your money.
I am deliberately avoiding the Central Lakes (Coniston) area this year, as I suspect they will be frustratingly busy, but the area around Ullswater is well within reach, and generally a bit quieter.
So  hands up if interested, and suggested dates please.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the Alan Holmes website.

Surely that £20 is for the Motorhomes ?  I don't think a single person in a tent will fancy forking out £20 a night, when a huge motorhome with a family in it, plus an awning pays the same.

It still advertises a single person tent as £10 and a two person one is £15.

I also noted that you have to book in advance:-

"First night stay to be paid as a deposit.

Remainder to be paid on arrival by cash or cheque"

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the £20 per pitch is because they will have a reduced number of pitches available due to the separation.

I have been in lockdown for a long while and would be willing to pay this for a couple of nights just to get out and about for a bit.

Just depends on when.

I am booked with HDRCGB at Dent 7th-9th August.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 0:00    Post subject: Re: Two site Dales/North Pennine meet anyone? Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
https://www.ushagap.co.uk/ which having stayed at previously, I can recommend,

the second is http://www.alanholme.co.uk/ near Appleby in Westmorland,
which has the benefit of a pub that does food within 200 metres.

I wish you would speak English Andy. That meter stuff is foreign, I am NOT foreign - -
Unless Southerners are foreign "Up Norf"   Rolling Eyes

Main point = Usha Gap - How close is nearest cooked food  Question

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27    Post subject: Re: Two site Dales/North Pennine meet anyone? Reply with quote

Deker wrote:
andyman wrote:
https://www.ushagap.co.uk/ which having stayed at previously, I can recommend,

the second is http://www.alanholme.co.uk/ near Appleby in Westmorland,
which has the benefit of a pub that does food within 200 metres.

I wish you would speak English Andy. That meter stuff is foreign, I am NOT foreign - -
Unless Southerners are foreign "Up Norf"   Rolling Eyes

Main point = Usha Gap - How close is nearest cooked food  Question

Mr D

Derek Meters are for indicating things, like gas and electricity usage.

Andy said 'Metres', of which one is about 39½".  Wink

Nearest cooked food is arms length, if you take the makings and your own cooking gear.  Very Happy

If not then it's a short drive or a long stumble:-

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:03; edited 1 time in total
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Deker, 200m = 1 furlong.
I estimate the pub in Muker is the nearest hostelry (apart from possibly the back of my Delica) whence cooked vittals might be purchased and is nobbut a cockstride hence.
(Or about 4 furlongs or half a mile). Time you learned to cook!
There is a simple principle that the distance between hostelries increases with quantity of intervening rural scenerey!
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alanholme looks favourite as the pub/food is closest.
Have to get dates sorted as we have to book in advance.

Flying Brick Supporter.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy & everyone,

I would love to come, but I think given the current situation I will probably pass, for the time being... perhaps something further in the autumn?

J
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to get this trip organised before the English school holiday period, perhaps even as early as next week, so Jeroen, you may not even be allowed out of Scotland by then, sadly. Usha Gap say they are not taking groups - I need to find out what that means, but on usuual meet numbers, it is unlikely we would exceed the English limit of 6 people from different households, - unless I have misunderstood the rules. But I might also try for a Northumberland meet later in the season.
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
I was hoping to get this trip organised before the English school holiday period, perhaps even as early as next week.

Surely they have been on holiday since March!!!

Not sure about next week though as there seems to be a second spike beginning!!

Flying Brick Supporter.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
... But I might also try for a Northumberland meet later in the season.

Time to get your garden gate widened; Andy.  Rolling Eyes

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - part of the reason I'm thinking as early as next week  is to beat the next wave. Unfortunately, Usha Gap's policy is no more than two family units/households in a group, and if they discover members of a group have booked separately to get around this, they will ask you to leave. Just checking out other potential sites in N Yorks dales as three nights at Long Marton might seem expensive to some at £60 all in, although it's fine by me.

Lewis, - my existing gateways are navigable as long as you don't have extended arches or a LWB and I have been giving the idea some thought, of a meet in my field with access to barn and my tools/welding gear if people want to fix anything while here, but wife and kids are petrified by strangers from cities - my son has seen so much dangerous behaviour on his food parcel deliveries in Newcastle. Still, camping is a relatively safe activity, out in the fresh air, plus I'm going to take my own spray bottle of disinfectant and wipes, and clean anything communal before and after I touch it!
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site in Wensleydale looks like it would make a good alternative to Usha Gap, and also has a pub next door! Hopefully the new, additional toilet block is now in operation! I will make enquiries today.

https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/England/North_East/North_Yorkshire/Leyburn/street-head-caravan-park/
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking - Street Head has a "Only families and couples" policy, so no singles, especially in groups!?! Also weather up here looks iffy for the next two weeks. Keep watching this space. Wales doesn't look like opening up camp sites any time soon, either.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
This site in Wensleydale looks like it would make a good alternative to Usha Gap, and also has a pub next door! Hopefully the new, additional toilet block is now in operation! I will make enquiries today.

https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/England/North_East/North_Yorkshire/Leyburn/street-head-caravan-park/

No it wouldn't!

Their site rules state:- "The site caters for families (immediate members) and couples only - bookings from all other forms of groups are not accepted."

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis - 'swat I said, diddle I? Confused
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durn it. I missed the second post.  Sad

ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Wales doesn't look like opening up camp sites any time soon, either.

I believe the Welsh authorities will confirm, or not,  by July 13.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE. Unable to find a suitable site in N. Yorkshire to take us, I am asking all interested parties for a camping/touring/ perhaps an easy lane or two meet for midweek at  http://www.alanholme.co.uk/ near Appleby (Cumbria) to let me know ASAP. Preferred is Tues, Weds, possibly Thursday of next week, that's 21,22,23 July. If I get one "YES", I'll book my pitch, at £20 a night, and ask you to do the same. I spoke to Jo at the site yesterday, she said weekend places are going fast, there is more space midweek, but  school holidays officially start this weekend, so BE QUICK. As said above, it's a nice, well maintained and friendly site, close to a pub with good food. Let me know,  or if these dates aren't good let me know, too, with preferred dates.
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS I can't promise lovely weather, forecast is mainly dull, very occasional light rain and sunny intervals. Excellent scenery. For Deker, I will try to include trees! I know we have them up here, somewhere, - it's not all Wuthering Heights! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Club events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: