Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

spare wheel housing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 13:59    Post subject: spare wheel housing Reply with quote

Easiest way to do battle with this?

Any tips anyone?

For my twopenneth I've just used the hydraulic pump to raise the cradle loaded with wheel (as I've got a tow bar fitted that cuts across in front of the cradle next to the bumper so its really hard to reach and lift .

I also used the hydraulic jack to lift the car to roll the wheel under, rather than mess about with dragging and sliding it, does anyone else do this?

Oh, and where are the rear jack points!!!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 13:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lift the carpet in the boot and use the wheel brace to undo the bolt near to the tailgate shut latch, this releases the spare wheel and cradle.
YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=378236
annek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOZA wrote:
Lift the carpet in the boot and use the wheel brace to undo the bolt near to the tailgate shut latch, this releases the spare wheel and cradle.

Ta Yoza.  I'd managed that much, I was talking about getting the wheel  back into position, rolling it under the car and trying to hoist it up behind an after-market tow bar, whilst rehooking the hook to hold it up.

It's so difficult to manoeuvre and lift under the car, so I used the jack to lift the car to get the wheel under then the jack to lift the wheel cage into position.

..jack points?

(erroneous code corrected. Admin)
YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jacking points are shown in the link.

I have found that if the bolt and hook are fully extended it is easy to slide the spare onto the cradle and then lift the wheel and cradle onto the hook, then wind it up on the locking bolt until it stops turning.

If you had a nightmare then your tyre may be wider than standard, but you did okay using the bottle jack, showing some initiative.

Always copperslip or grease the threaded bolt for next time as they rust up a seize.

Surely there must be a man around who could have helped you out, postman, window cleaner, or a passing random.....
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x4 wheels are heavy, and these cradles don't do anything to help you lift them back onto the hook. On such a high-spec vehicle, I am surprised Mitsubishi didn't fit some counterweight springs or gas struts to make life a bit easier. Re jacking points, L300s have sturdy jacking pillars welded to the chassis ahead of the rear axle and behind the front wheels. Does the 400 not have something similar?
annek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passing random! 😂

There are men yes, but I can't just expect said men to drop their tasks to help me with mine, hence using the jack.

First time I've tried it, and it worked well, especially jacking the Deli back end to get the wheel under easily!

Ta for the link, sorry I missed that.
annek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Andyman.  Its quite surprising that the cage and hook affair is so basic, compared to the rest.

There are clear jack points at the front, but no the back is not clear, although I did use the correct ones thankfully.

I think perhaps the tyre was quite well inflated, which made it a bit tight for getting the bolt tightened.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
...... I am surprised Mitsubishi didn't fit some counterweight springs or gas struts to make life a bit easier.

If springs and struts were used there is always a chance they may have seized up when you need to get the spare out of the cradle. With the design that is there you can always take the rear hinge pins out, as well as the front hook and then just slide it from under the Deli.

The less there is to go wrong, the less there is to fix.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
annek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
gas struts to make life a bit easier.

Well yes, the ones on the rear door lift work brilliantly, that would be awesome on the wheel cage to lift it.

Does anyone have a wheel cage that isn't rusted as hell?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOZA wrote:

Why lift the carpet ?  scratch

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
YOZA wrote:

Why lift the carpet ?  scratch

I needed to lift a flap of carpet to access the cradle release bolt, but I don't need to anymore as I keep my spare in the the back where the rear folding seats used to be.
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the tyre out/lowering the cradle, you have gravity on your side. My spare, like my wheels, is oversized, and I have had to modify the cradle to make the tyre fit (very tight), so I too have to use the jack to get it back on the hook, and reduce the pressure to around 23PSI  Luckily, I've only once had to change it in an emergency, and was only seven miles from home. The flat tyre just went in the boot, but then I had to wind the hook up tight and hope the cradle didn't jump off.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust you to be different.  Very Happy

My carpet stops  at the edge of the floor, leaving the bolt head easy to get at.

ルイス
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is the entry level model, we’re as mine is the best one. Very Happy
annek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you keep your spare where seats used to be, and your carpet goes under the door?

Tsk, we have the better, best, bestest  Very Happy  ha!

My spare isn't too big for the cage.  If anything it doesn't reach the edges quite, but I think it does need to be under-inflated, and yes, I worried about the empty cage jumping off the hook too  Confused  Confused

I've lost count of the punctures, I must have spent thousands on new tyres.

Last tyre was stabbed.  We have special precious people living round here.
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can never jump off the hook even with no sparewheel in the cradle as the bolt hits the cradle and squeezes it against the hook.

And yes my spare is in the boot - the wheel is 10” wide and my tyres are 31x10.5x15 so better off in the boot, I have fixed my subwoofer into the wheel void and it fits perfect.
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub-woofer in the wheel void? That should shake out any rust!
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

annek wrote:
I was talking about getting the wheel  back into position, rolling it under the car and trying to hoist it up behind an after-market tow bar, whilst rehooking the hook to hold it up.

It's so difficult to manoeuvre and lift under the car, so I used the jack to lift the car to get the wheel under then the jack to lift the wheel cage into position.

Had the same problem recently (also with tow bar in the way)

My solution, tie a length of cord/rope round the LEFT side of the cage (I tied on the Right side, rope got in the way  Sad )
Then lift the cage and wheel using the rope, tie off rope somewhere  Question  I used the bottom of the gas strut.

On my car the wheel cage snags a little on the tow bar, use a large screwdriver, tyre lever, whatever to lift it -
Adjust & re-tie the rope.

As a result of the not so good design, (as annek noted) I have been thinking of reworking the Spare Wheel lifting mechanism.
It would mean drilling a hole in the floor and the carpet.

Anyone interested  Question  I'll work on it - - - After MOT tomorrow.

It won't be cheap tho. I would use Stainless Steel on most (if not all) parts)

Mr D
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annek:

Whilst I think on...  There is a mod for the cage that may make it a bit easier for you to get the wheel into it.

See:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48495

ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: