4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Removing main A/C condenser & fan - up or down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 22:25    Post subject: Removing main A/C condenser & fan - up or down? Reply with quote

I've been making slow progress with what has turned out fairly major work to the front of Selma - photos to follow on t'other thread.

Anyway, while I've got much of the front apart, I've taken the opportunity to finally go ahead with removing the (rest of) the A/C system.
I'd already removed the rear evaporator and the little "side condenser" in front of the N/S step, but all the rest (pipework, main
condenser, evaporator, compressor) was still in place.

This evening I've managed to take out pretty much all the above, except the main condenser and fan in front of the main engine radiator.

I've been having a look back at a bunch of very useful old posts on here on A/C removal, but I can't find any info on a handy way to remove
the main condenser and the fan. Does the main engine rad have to come out to do this? That would be a pain in a**e, but I can't see that
I'd have enough room to get it out from above, otherwise? Down and to the front would be much easier, if it was not for the gear linkage cables...
so presumably I'd need to detach those to go that way? Or am I just overcomplicating this? Is there less "in the way" in that direction in
automatics?

Any tips greatly appreciated!  Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 22:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just looked at my auto - there are four pipes obstructing the inlet opening underneath, so I reckon it will be easier to remove the driver's seat floor and handbrake "bridge" and fan shroud, then pull it out through the cab. My aircon fan is seized, so please don't scrap yours - I'll happily pay you for it.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Thanks - aye yes I think I will be taking it out from above, and it will almost certainly involve taking the main rad out.
Needs must I suppose - it can do with a flush anyway, last time the coolant was done was with the timing belt, when I first got the van!  Smile

Re. the fan. Aah of course I noticed you mentioned that elsewhere. Consider it kept safe (it's pretty ugly/rusty mind, and I have no idea whether it works or not).

J
Deker

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Andyman.

I have Aircon fans (two of em) from an L400.

If they/one of them is use to you, your'e welcome.

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deker. Am I right in thinking that the twin fan arrangement on the L400 is suspended from the plastic shrouding that fits to the front of the condensor/rad?
If so, it might be a bit tricky to fit onto the L300's condensor rad.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Upwards is the only way to go unless you really want to take the gear linkage cables out of the way.

It's amazing how much room there is down there when you finally take everything out...!
I really should have done this when doing the alternator belts, it would have saved an awful lot of skin on my knuckles. And swearing...

A worry amount of the "red disease" had started growing above the N/S chassis leg... and given the amount of room I couldn't help myself and had to crack out the rust converter!

andyman

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most L400 owners would give their right arm for a chassis as solid as that!
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Most L400 owners would give their right arm for a chassis as solid as that!

Fair point well made...  Laughing
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
I've just looked at my auto - there are four pipes obstructing the inlet opening underneath, so I reckon it will be easier to remove the driver's seat floor and handbrake "bridge" and fan shroud, then pull it out through the cab. My aircon fan is seized, so please don't scrap yours - I'll happily pay you for it.

I've got a spare front main Aircon fan. I need to check it works, been in the shed for years. Yours if you want it.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy - This one?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/axWCPeAfoydoPoABA

Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
andyman

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one Roger. I have the kind offer of Jejeone's, too. There is no urgency on my part, but I'll happily pay for the fan and cover the cost of carriage if you want it out of the way. (The same applies to you Jeroen). Otherwise, I'm hoping to travel north (possibly to Scotland) during the summer, and as far as Stratford for OA in September, which is currently expecting to take place, so direct handover may be possible. I think mine must have got waterlogged wading through the floods around Ullswater during Storm Desmond.
From recent information I discovered, it would appear I crossed Pooley Bridge less than 30minutes before it collapsed and was washed away. The permanent stainless steel replacement is in place and due to be open by June.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Well if Stratford goes ahead I'll bring it with me if you've not already got Jerone's one.
I've got a whole system here in a crate that I've been using for spares over the years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: