Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Delica L300 Power Steering Hose Return Tube Corrosion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfwagon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:40    Post subject: Delica L300 Power Steering Hose Return Tube Corrosion Reply with quote

Delica L300 Power Steering Hose Return Tube Corrosion

My much loved Delica L300 has lots of corrosion on the under side - its almost at the point of no return.

The Power Steering Metal Return Hoses have now corroded through along with the driver side Oil Cooling Radiator Unit. Its now off the road.

Most of the bolts and connectors are completely seized and its going to be very difficult to get them off and replace them.

I've taken the Delica to our local garage, who have worked on it in the past; they say that they can't help.

I don't have the skills or equipment to do it myself - So what should I do?

1) Sell the wagon as is and let someone take it on as a project
2) Try and find the parts and a garage who are put to a challenge

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

I do have some photos but as I'm a newbie the system doesn't allow me to post them...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, surfwagon. You can pretty much do without that radiator, unless you're doing a lot of twisty driving in mediterranean+ heat. When mine burst, I simply connected the 2 rubber hoses with a length of 8 or 10mm microbore central heating pipe, until I found a suitable rad off an Isuzu Trooper at a scrappers. Not a perfect fit, but is held in place with wire and brackets! When the steering pipe started leaking, right at the joint which is bracketed to the bottom of the chassis, I managed to fix it with a suitably sized plumbers compression fitting. I could have used 2 fittings and a length of pipe, but rust was limited to close proximity to the bracket, so I simply re-bent the pipe loop at the front to make up the difference - only an inch or 2. NB plumbers pipe is not rated to the max pressures of your steering pump, so try not to be turning the wheels while static, especially when against a kerb or other resistance. Or get a good piece of steel pipe from a scrapper.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 14:36    Post subject: Re: Delica L300 Power Steering Hose Return Tube Corrosion Reply with quote

surfwagon wrote:
I do have some photos but as I'm a newbie the system doesn't allow me to post them...

Having joined the club five years ago, in 2013, your definitely not a Newbie  :D ; you just haven't posted enough times to allow posted external links to show.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
surfwagon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a part number for the  Power Steering Pipes or a diagram of the parts?!
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pipes are shown in L300 FAQs section of this forum, Section 37, pages 42&43 of Pink Pig's downloadable manual. No part numbers on there but Lewis may be able to find them.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently repaired my power steering line in the same place (Thanks Andyman for the tips)

I first cut the pipe either side of the chassis rail
Cleaned the ends of the pipes with wire wool, then cleaned again with power steering fluid and a cloth
Used two 8mm compression fittings - you may want to double check the pipe size as mine is an old 88 pre-face lift
https://www.screwfix.com/p/straight-coupling-8mm-x-8mm/20317?tc=CA7&ds_kid=92700020969714541&ds_rl=1248151&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&gclid=CjwKCAjwzoDXBRBbEiwAGZRIeBkKmP29Kaz0bFJQWgnA1VXskZ2t0n-l_8GoNbXvF0EuodtIvlCe-BoCcIMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMny3uGg1doCFUw4GwodOtQByQ

and then used a short length of 8mm steel tube like this
https://www.metals4u.co.uk/mild-steel/c6/tube/c2239/tube/c56/8mm-dia-x-1mm-hydraulic/p9134

Probably took 2 hours, but mostly because it was freezing mid-winter so more tea breaks than work!
Reckon somewhere that does brake line repairs could do it in under an hour.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
surfwagon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I've been trying to find the parts so making the tubes looks like a good option.
surfwagon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take a look at my profile there is a website link to some photos of the problem
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely looking van. I am thinking you might need repairs to both pipes while you are on. That bracket/joint appears to be the cause of the rot, trapping salty road muck, and wrapping a corrosive poultice around the pipes.
surfwagon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great up top. But not so great from underneath Razz
ciaran15

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya surfwagon did you manage to get this leak on your power steering  fixed I have the exact same leak on mine just noticed it yesterday. Did you find out the part number of these pipes or did you just go with a diy fix... Any help on how you fixed it would be appreciated. Was supposed to take the wagon away this weekend but didn't want to go anywhere until I sorted that leak out
surfwagon

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've managed to find a local mechanic who fixes farm vehicles who removed the tubes. We had some new flexible tubes made up by South Coast Hydraulics for £50 each - reusing the end connectors

The mechanic is now fitting the new tubes.

If you check out my profile link you can see what the new tubes look like. Now all we need to do is replace the old gearbox oil cooler unit, replace the fan belts, fix the handbrake, fix a few rust spots and find the leak in the front cabin.

Once all that is done we should be good to go!!
ciaran15

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow super job surfwagon. The new power steering pipes look the job. I Might have to try something like this with sorry looking pipes. Hopefully you get the rest of the work sorted soon and you are back on the road. Keep the pics coming👍👍
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good fix - might have to do the same to mine at some point.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
andyman

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where there's a will, there's a way! Never thought of using flexi hydraulic pipes, but why not? Rot proof, and ultimately more reliable than cheapo steel!
andyman

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where there's a will, there's a way! Never thought of using flexi hydraulic pipes, but why not? Rot proof, and ultimately more reliable than cheapo steel!
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfwagon, any chance you could post those photos of your power steering flexi-pipe fix back on here or somewhere else?
Would be super useful to see - I need some more permanent fix to mine at some point, but unfortunately the link to your website above no longer seems to work... Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: