4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Have I killed my master cylinder? :(

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 19:03    Post subject: Have I killed my master cylinder? :( Reply with quote

Drat... have I buggered my master cylinder?

While I was just doing discs and pads on the front end of Selma, I had a momentary loss of concentration (or momentary attack of stupidity).

As I had one side put back together, I wanted to check pad-to-disc contact, and pumped the brake pedal a few times. Nothing very much happened, so pumped a few more times (DOH!).

Only then I remembered that I had not yet put the caliper back on the other side, so on that side the piston had well and truly ejected itself from the caliper!  Shocked    Embarassed
I got a clamp on the hose on the other side as quick as I could, but quite a lot of fluid had of course come out.

I will of course need to put everything back together (I have only just stopped swearing at myself and put the piston back in the caliper), and bleed the brakes at the very least,
but I remember reading that significant loss of fluid can destroy the master cylinder. Is that right, and if so, will this be obvious immediately?
I did not have the engine running when I pressed the pedal, not sure if that makes things any less bad.
Also read that I may need to bleed the clutch, as well - where do I do this?
The manual also mentions a bleeding point at the "G sensing proportioning valve" or "blend proportioning valve" - is this where the clutch bleeding point is as well?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 19:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't think you'll have a problem as long as the piston didn't hit a unused bit of the master cylinder and scuff the seals.
Get it all back together and bleed it through and then see how it feels.
The clutch is the same as the brakes to bleed, nipple on the slave cylinder on the side of the gearbox but you may find it easier to use a pressure bleed kit, or even bleed the clutch backwards - ie force the fluid back up from the clutch bleed nipple (used to have to do this on Peugeot 504/505s).
The G sensor thing I thing is the load balancer in the middle of the back axle.

Shame you're so far away - I'd pop.round and help!

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 21:12    Post subject: Re: Have I killed my master cylinder? :( Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:
Drat... have I buggered my master cylinder?

A) ejected itself from the caliper!  Shocked    Embarassed

B) but I remember reading that significant loss of fluid can destroy the master cylinder. Is that right, and if so, will this be obvious immediately?

C) Also read that I may need to bleed the clutch, as well - where do I do this?
C 1) The manual also mentions a bleeding point at the "G sensing proportioning valve" or "blend proportioning valve" -

C 2) is this where the clutch bleeding point is as well?

A) Before you replace the piston, carefully remove the "rubber" ring from the caliper, and clean the groove it sits in.

B) Just about most times that might happen, if the cylinder was left empty. So you should okay

C) I don't know about the fluid reservoir for L300.

C 1) I've never had to do that on my L400 (which has a similar device)
C 2) Roger has described that.

HTH

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably, it uses the same reservoir (end of dash) to feed both M/Cs. If you pumped it dry on the brakes, as long as you didn't press the clutch, you shouldn't have pulled any air into the clutch system. Did you not replace the brake M/C at some point? If it is fairly recent, there won't be a ridge in it, and even then, on a worn cylinder, it doesn't have a sharp edge, or anything to cause damage, except any rust flakes which may have settled at the bottom end.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks v much gents - I really appreciate the input!  Smile
I will try not to panic yet until I've had a chance to bleed it and see.

PinkPig wrote:

The G sensor thing I thing is the load balancer in the middle of the back axle.

Ah... I see. So it's definitely not what I think it was - there something with a bleed nipple and brake lines in/out on the N/S of the gearbox (not the slave cylinder - it's on its own,
just by the fuel pipe running from the filler to the tank. Will take some photos when I get the chance.

PinkPig wrote:

Shame you're so far away - I'd pop.round and help!

Thanks that is much appreciated - may be an opportunity to meet in the future regardless.

Deker wrote:

A) Before you replace the piston, carefully remove the "rubber" ring from the caliper, and clean the groove it sits in.

Thanks, Deker - done (took the caliper off  & all!). Not too worried about that bit as I rebuilt both calipers a while ago, so all still looks okay there.

andyman wrote:

If you pumped it dry on the brakes, as long as you didn't press the clutch, you shouldn't have pulled any air into the clutch system. Did you not replace the brake M/C at some point?
If it is fairly recent, there won't be a ridge in it, and even then, on a worn cylinder, it doesn't have a sharp edge, or anything to cause damage, except any rust flakes which may have settled at the bottom end.

Thanks Andy! Smile No, I never replaced the M/C, it's still what was on there when I got it, and its started to leak at that. So now thinking (probably overthinking) I should use this as an opportunity to replace or rebuild!
To be honest, I probably don't quite understand what the main cause for potential damage due to the cylinder being 'dry' of fluid - the ideas of there being damage or flakes I can understand.
If so, I *think* there is still a litttle bit left in the resevoir, so may be I'll be okay.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the "proportioning valve" I mentioned above, it's no. 4 on the diagram I here I meant:

It seems to indicate its somewhere in the center of the vehicle, though, and in the diagram here:
https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/mitsubishi/Delica-star-wagon-9344/p35w-19993/hsnpt2-624847/brake-line-7919460#/il-189248264-4774619-4774619
Its no. 55876. Again this seems to be in the middle...

So is this different to whatever should be on the back axle?
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mine is also on the N/S, next to the tank. There is not a bleed nipple on the N/S rear brake.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the clutch system there is this extra cylinder.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/seGt7drPxXnht1pc9
Bottom is the clutch slave, above and at an angle is the second cylinder.

It is some sort of limiter / partial non return valve thing that smooths the clutch release and prevents snatching. I think. And I think it is only on the winter pack versions (twin battery, LSD etc)

If you didn't loose all the brake fluid then the clutch should self bleed if there is only a bit of air
at the top. Just tap the resovior to bubble any air up.

I'll have to check again where my balancer is. Sure it was on the axle, but mine is an oldy 88, some things are different.

Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the manual
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45972

On this page
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5gZM35EyHKukT6pb9

It has the G in the middle and the P near the rear for 4WD.
I'll have P please Bob...

jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkPig wrote:
In the manual
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45972

On this page
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5gZM35EyHKukT6pb9

It has the G in the middle and the P near the rear for 4WD.
I'll have P please Bob...

Aha! And I will have a G please Bob! I had not looked at those diagrams closely - thanks for pointing those out!
I will have to double check later, but I am pretty sure I don't have the "gubbins" on the rear axle that's drawn for the "4WD - load sensing proportioning valve".
It also appears that for that set up, there is just what looks like a bracket with some line joins at the center of the vehicle. Mine has that an extra valve-looking
thing there, so I'm pretty sure I have the "G sensing proportioning" version.
There sure is a bleed nipple on there, but I may stay away from that one for the time being, and just bleed at the brakes themselves, and see how I go.
From the feedback so far, I'll also leave the clutch alone for now, unless there is a noticeable issue.

(As for the two cylinders on/at the gearbox, I'm pretty sure I have both, too - I'll check later for reference)

Still considering dealing with the weepy master cylinder.
andyman, do I remember correctly that you rebuilt your master cylinder? If so, was this easy enough and where did you get the kit from?
I have the part number (MB928395) and there seem to be a couple of very affordable options in aftermarket, whereas for the genuine Mitsi rebuild kit I may
as well just get an entire new cylinder!  scratch
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a new master cylinder from a company on Germany. I think it was about £80-90 ish.
Left hand drive one fits fine on the right hand drive, just need to spin the inlet pipes around on the top 180° to point the other way.

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:35    Post subject: Re: Have I killed my master cylinder? :( Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:
.....Drat... have I buggered my master cylinder?

While I was just doing discs and pads on the front end of Selma, I had a momentary loss of concentration (or momentary attack of stupidity).

As I had one side put back together, I wanted to check pad-to-disc contact, and pumped the brake pedal a few times. Nothing very much happened, so pumped a few more times (DOH!).

Only then I remembered that I had not yet put the caliper back on the other side, so on that side the piston had well and truly ejected itself from the caliper!  Shocked    Embarassed
I got a clamp on the hose on the other side as quick as I could, but quite a lot of fluid had of course come out.

Not a problem. It's just as if you took pout the pistons to put new ones back in.
As the caliper was the lowest pressure point then the rear proportioning valve owuld not be affected due to hydraulic oil goin gdirect to the open caliper.

Clean up the piston.
Clean up the cylinder.
Replace piston.
replace caliper.
bleed as normal.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkPig wrote:
I got a new master cylinder from a company on Germany. I think it was about £80-90 ish.
Left hand drive one fits fine on the right hand drive, just need to spin the inlet pipes around on the top 180° to point the other way.

Cool thanks dude. Smile
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:44    Post subject: Re: Have I killed my master cylinder? :( Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
jejoenje wrote:
.....Drat... have I buggered my master cylinder?

Not a problem. It's just as if you took pout the pistons to put new ones back in.
As the caliper was the lowest pressure point then the rear proportioning valve owuld not be affected due to hydraulic oil goin gdirect to the open caliper.

Clean up the piston.
Clean up the cylinder.
Replace piston.
replace caliper.
bleed as normal.

HTH

thumbright Fingers crossed!
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some links and part nos here, but the write up did seems to have expired.

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45619

I'll see if I can find the invoice.

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Says it is out of stock, but was brembo stock number M54001

https://m.onlinecarparts.co.uk/brembo-1660423.html

(Ignore the image!)

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it does list these alternatives further down the page:
https://m.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oenumber/mb277425.html

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

And these alternatives. One is actually in stock!

https://m.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oenumber/mb407061.html

Anyway, gives you at few part nos to Google :-)

andyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I bought a seal kit for mine for a few £s, after buying a scrappy one (cheap), only to find it was dirty and scored inside. Can't understand  how it didn't leak worse than mine! It was a while back, and I don't have any paperwork now. But my brakes have been perfect ever since. It's a shame I didn't fit the seals BEFORE I wrote off a stationary RAV4 at a junction!
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you PinkPig for the links - I shall have a peruse.

andyman wrote:
Yes, I bought a seal kit for mine for a few £s, after buying a scrappy one (cheap), only to find it was dirty and scored inside. Can't understand
 how it didn't leak worse than mine! It was a while back, and I don't have any paperwork now. But my brakes have been perfect ever since. It's a shame I didn't fit the
seals BEFORE I wrote off a stationary RAV4 at a junction!

Yikes I remember that story (shudder!).
So it was the scrappy cylinder that you rebuilt, not one that was in yours before? Was it an OEM seal kit, or aftermarket?

The news tonight is that all the brakes are now bled (I even managed to get the bleeder screw on the O/S rear undone after liberal application of penetrating oil!).
I did end up bleeding at the "G sensing valve" too, as discussed above. Very little air from there, as the last point to be done, but at least this means the bleeding has been done "by the book".

As predicted by you wise folk, it appears the brakes are essentially as they were, perhaps with a tiny bit more "wheezing" from the cylinder/booster area.
Will know soon enough whether this is all acceptable, as she's booked in for her MOT on Friday  Laughing
Want to try to go ahead with the test just to get it over with, but may still do the cylinder fairly soon anyway.

Thanks again all for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: