Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

What suspension for a Heavily Laden van? suggestions please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raffaele
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 0:41    Post subject: What suspension for a Heavily Laden van? suggestions please. Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I realize this topic has been around the track quite a few times, I´ve read many threads and to be honest, the more I read the more undecided I am.
All the mods to suspension, be it Shocks or Springs, or both, all sound amazing. I mean this is coming from someone who's "new" van hasn't ever seen a new shock or spring. Yep, shes a tad boaty. However, each situation is different and the threads that I read that were closer to my needs were posts from the early noughties.
Hence me feeling the need to ask for some (up to date) advice.

I have a 1996 L400 PD5W NON ECS version, of original height. (probably a little shorter due to spring sag)
Front - double wishbone and torsion bar with original mitsubishi shock
Rear - original mitsu spring and shock

My main worry is the rear. I checked under her skirt and the springs seemed a little compressed, the first two coils had hardly any space between them and she was totally empty.
What I need is carrying capacity. I will be traveling quite a bit and with a LOT of tools, basically a workshop of portable'ish' tools. Plus a caravan, she's a lightweight, under 750kg but an extra weight nonetheless. The main issue is the tools.
I don´t really need the extra lift as I´m not going extreme off roading but I am going RURAL, very RURAL.

How do you think I should upgrade my suspension?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 0:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want the extra lift -

The method I would choose, would be "spring assisters" Of the inserted rubber type.

Many choices out there, choice is yours - - -

Andyj on here supplies springs - Sorry, I don't know if they are just heavy duty, or extra length.
I've never taken too much notice 'cos my Delica is O. K.

No doubt someone who has experience with a Delica will advise.

HTH

Mr D
flowerpower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I tow a large trailer and a fully loaded with my van from UK to Ibiza and back and I use coil SumoSprings, totally recommend them they make such a difference no rear sag and when you load or tow the rear they push back so you don’t get any body roll or bouncing.  Here’s a link think it will work I’ll dig out the invoice so you get the right ones, they come from the US and they are great help me find the right fit for my long wheel van
https://www.supersprings.com/product-category/coil-sumosprings/
flowerpower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to mention got some new rear springs from Milner off road slightly longer so back sits better

https://www.milneroffroad.com/mitsubishi-Delica-4-door-2.8-diesel-from-1994-to-2004-pe8w/product/rear-shock-absorber-coil-springs-sscr-su/suspension-coil-spring-rear-pair-obk-20-stronger-003359/003359
Raffaele
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deker and flowerpower

Deker - I've searched out andyj on another thread but haven't heard back. is he still producing springs?

flowerpower - didn't the import duties make the purchase 'hurt' a little? last time i bought something from the US i got slapped with a huge bill on the door. maybe it's just Portugal?

Thats +2 for the assisters, i'm gonna check for some local options.

You guys are recommending the assisters on top of new springs, right? Milners or andyj.
assisters on old springs wouldn't do much right?

Oh, one more ?, how about airbags, do they do the same thing or are they just the gadget version of the rubber things?

Thanks again for the recommendations
keep 'em coming guys...pleeeeeez!
flowerpower

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Raffaele, okay i checked and these are the Coil Sumo springs you need, I will try and find the invoice but I don't think I payed any import duty in the UK!.
https://www.supersprings.com/shop/css-1145/
Raffaele
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you flowerpower
i'm currently going through lists of offroad suppliers in Portugal to see if I can source any over here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: