4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Having problems replacing universal joints - help please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevebill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:17    Post subject: Having problems replacing universal joints - help please! Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Working on an 1996 L300 4WD diesel and replacing the 2WD uni joints.
Could i have a answer to this -
When removing the propshaft, about a litre of oil came out. Where did that oil drain from, and how the chuff do i re fill?
The joints are done, its time to re-install.
Confusion reigns today.....
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

stevebill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:10    Post subject: Transfer case oil Reply with quote

Sorry- i need to amend my post.
The oil came out of the transfer case, and it's the front 4WD propshaft thats just gone back on.
The point, though, is to find the filler on the transfer box - there has to be one!
Aaargh!
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 24mm nut on the transfer case adjacent to the speedo cable connection. It is easier to remove the speedo cable to access the filler nut. Just fill it until overflow. Standard gearbox oil.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
stevebill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:20    Post subject: Transfer case fill Reply with quote

Thanks PINKPIG- much appreciated. Done that one, so on we go.
Next: the gearbox. I can see a drain plug but no filler. Trawling through posts doesn't clarify. Where's it located?
Draining & replacing the gearbox oul is stage 1 of finding a solution to a very stiff gearchange.
This car has potential, and will be worth it.
1996 L300 4WD 2.4 with sliding door both sides.
Located in Taiwan, where they are very common.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's different between a manual/auto gearbox, but on a manual, I think the fill plug is on the lefthand side of the box, conveniently located just behind where the shift linkage goes into the box.
You'll need an extension of sorts to undo it, and the plug on mine was very, very tight.
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an auto box, you fill it slowly through the gearbox dip stick tube. I have a small funnel which fits nicely into the wide top end of the tube.
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
If it's an auto box, you fill it slowly through the gearbox dip stick tube.

I think Steve said Transfer box  Exclamation

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevebil wrote :"Next: the gearbox. I can see a drain plug but no filler. Trawling through posts doesn't clarify. Where's it located?"
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

When looking directly at the drain hole, you will find the fill hole to the right, on the back of the casing, inline with the propshaft.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
When looking directly at the drain hole, you will find the fill hole to the right, on the back of the casing, inline with the propshaft.  Wink

Surely that depends on the direction you're looking from...???  Laughing   Wink

Anyway - if you're still at a loss, have a look at the relevant diagrams in the workshop manuals linked to here courtesey of PinkPig.
Chapter 22 page 5 for manual transmission, 23-6 for auto, assuming you are indeed talking about the drain plugs for the gearbox as opposed to the transfer cases (which I think you said you were).
If you are after the  transfer case drains, the same areas of the manuals have pointers for those, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: