Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Lift Pump woes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Farrington

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 13:24    Post subject: Lift Pump woes? Reply with quote

After breaking into the fuel system or running out of fuel, we are instructed to use the lift-pump on the filter housing to prime the system.

You CAN just keep cranking until eventually the beast sputters into life, but we tend to try manual priming first.

Pumping furiously for hours and getting no sign of diesel from the tank? Heard rumors that 'all' you have to do is pump until the lift-pump goes 'hard'?

There is an answer!! Smile

* Paying special attention to the location of fragile and easily broken coolant bleed hose connectors (radiator & expansion tank)* remove turbo intercooler and batteries so you can easily access the fuel filter.

Disconnect  fuel hoses from filter body and plug .

Disconnect the water sensor connector wires at the bottom of the filter

Remove the two awkwardly placed bolts that mount the filter and housing to the engine bay. Remove whole unit in one.

Place upright in vice and unscrew housing from top of filter - hopefully the filter is full of clean diesel, which is why we fastened it upright, to avoid spillage. You didn't? Oh, well you can clean up the diesel slick later, and hopefully the wife will appreciate the scent where you splashed it over boots and trousers.

Turn over the housing and you will see a small oval stainless-steel flap, secured with a limiter bar and a small phillips screw. This is the cause of your pain!

This flap 'should' seal flat against the housing and act as a one-way valve, permitting the pump to operate. It needs to be removed, cleaned and re-positioned so that it lies flat against the surface of the housing. Reassemble, having used a drop of diesel to act as a seal between flap and housing.

Take the opportunity to change the washer under the bleed bolt adjacent to the inlet connector - it is yet another opportunity for air to enter the system.

Attach a clear hose to the inlet connector, drop one end into a can of diesel and pump a couple times. You will hopefully see the fuel being pumped up the clear hose. If not, attach the hose to the other 'inlet' connector - the one next to the bleed bolt and try again.

Hopefully, you can now remount the filter ( to aid re-assembly, the fat hose from the tank should be attached to the connector adjacent to the bleed bolt. I will let you work out where the other goes for yourself!) and stand, slack jawed with amazement when fuel will arrives from the tank, within twenty pumps or less!

I trialed this by then using my clear hose to connect lift pump to main fuel tank - and another piece of  clear hose from the outlet to a 5L can to catch diesel. Pump fuel until all air is visibly evacuated from the hoses and leave for ten minutes......any sign of fuel draining back to the tank will indicate an air leak between output connector on the lift pump and fuel tank. Corroded pick-up pipes are a common cause and dropping the tank to inspect is the next stage of your fault-finding.

Silly little thing, that hopefully will assist in getting your Deli running smoothly once more!

Ian Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 13:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain. Crying or Very sad

I don't bother with the pumping, even after replacing the lift pump unit, I simply use a length of washer bottle hose attached to a 150ml syringe and pump the fuel into the bleed bolt hole until the filter is full.

Then simply replace the bleed bolt and start the truck. Idea
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember an earlier post about the little flap:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11872   Smile

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: