2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Engine preferences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 18:47    Post subject: Engine preferences Reply with quote

A few questions about different engines.

For the past 12 years I have been driving a Super Exceed 1995, and am familiar with the 4M40 engine (2.8L diesel turbo). I am looking to get a newer model, and am checking the Japanese Auction sites.

The 6G72 (3.0L V6 petrol) seems more common with later L400's. Does anyone with direct experience want to express their preference and explain why?

I also see a few listed with a 2ZR-FE engine, which I think is manufactured by Toyota. Does anyone know if this was fitted as original equipment, or a replacement, what c.c. it is, and whether it has advantages?

If I go for the D5 (2007 onwards), it's the 4B12 (2.4L petrol). What are opinions about this one?

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 18:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of it being used in any of the later Deli's, as a n OEM item.

The ZR engines did not come out until 2007.

The 2ZR-FE specs are:-
Engine Type : In-Line 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve
Bore × Stroke = 80.5 mm × 88.3 mm (3.17 in × 3.48 in)
Compression Ratio : 10.0:1
Weight : 97 kg (214 lb), without fuel
15.2 km/L (43 mpg‑imp; 36 mpg‑US) fuel consumption (10-15 Australia & New Zealand test cycle)

Applications

Toyota Allion (ZRT260/265) 2007-2009
   Toyota Premio (ZRT260/265) 2007-2009
   Toyota Corolla (ZRE142/152)
   Toyota Corolla (ZRE172) (132 hp (98 kW) for all markets except 138 hp (103 kW) Corolla Altis for Asia-Pacific market)
   Toyota Corolla Axio/Fielder (NZE141) (Japan only)
   Toyota Corolla Axio/Fielder (NZE161) (Japan only)
   Toyota Corolla Hatchback (ZRE182/ZRE182R)
   Toyota Auris (ZRE152/154)
   Toyota Yaris (ZSP90) (Europe only)
   Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe (ZRE142) (North America only)
   Toyota Yaris GRMN with supercharger (205 hp (153 kW))
   Scion xD (ZSP110)
   Lotus Elise Model Year >= 2012 with Magnuson R900 supercharger (217 bhp (162 kW))
   Junpai D60

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned 4m40 and now own the v6.

I've never seriously offroaded but reckon the diesel would be better for down right torque as it feels strong and instills confidence. I'd be A lot happier towing in the diesel as it just plods on regardless. I've not towed with the v6, but just get the feeling it wouldn't be as strong. ( someone will correct me here Surprised)

The petrol is much more responsive and zippier and I love the drive and the sound and haven't looked back since I've owned it.

Saying that the diesels not exactly slow and I've surprised people off the lights. ( I'm no boy racer)

Both great. Depends on your thing.

The petrol being generally newer imports probably haven't had their time to develop the high mileage issues yet on here?

Haven't a clue on the d5.. 😩
JimmyG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to post a reply, but the system won't allow me to.....unless I'm doing something stupid. I have only posted a few times over the years.
JimmyG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Green Grouch.....I am happy to hear your feedback. I do long distance driving across Europe (if that isn't a dirty word). Fuel consumption is an issue for me, but from what I read the V6 returns much the same as the 4M40. Is this your experience?

It says on the Wikepedia page that Mitsubishi stopped offering diesel Delicas until 2013, when they introduced a new/clean 2.2L 4-cylinder turbo diesel engine (4N14).

I too had read what is on Wikepedia about the 2ZR-FE, thank you Lewis. I've seen it listed in the Auctions a few times on Fourth Generation Facelift Delicas, and also D5's. So, I guess that it might be favoured by some in Japan as a replacement unit.

The D5 strikes me as "better-than-nothing" for a continuation/evolution of the Delica, although it has moved on from the L300/L400 concept which I've always described as an upgraded Pajero in many respects.
JimmyG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was including a Link to the Mitusbishi Sales blurb about the the D5 on its release 2007 for anyone who might be seriously interested to read the full spec. The Forum may have not accepted the link, or perhaps D5 is flagged as a dirty word. cheers
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference the fuel consumption, I think the petrol is a few quid worse for me each week. I haven't worked out the exact mpg properly as I have 18 inch wheels, which will make a difference. It makes my speedo read slow by approx 5mph when doing 30mph and nearly 10mph difference when driving around 70mph.

I must make the time to calculate the real actual mileage and mpg one day.

Also mine is lpg, which it is always run on unless starting from cold.

I ran the diesel on a vegetable oil mix, which is another factor
flowerpower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I towed a large 2.8 ton trailer fully loaded and i mean fully loaded and the van fully loaded from Ibiza to UK 2 months ago and to be honest only struggled a bit going up hills.
But here comes the crunch the fuel cost was HORRENDOUS!! hope you are sat down  £530 Crying or Very sad
b3lha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 2000's, they brought in low emission zones in Japan and effectively banned diesel cars from cities. So all the newer JDM cars are petrol.

I like the V6 petrol. It is fairly simple and reliable. It has plenty of torque and it's quieter than the diesel. But it does drink a lot of fuel. I get 15 to 20 mpg.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

flowerpower wrote:
I towed a large 2.8 ton trailer fully loaded and I mean fully loaded and the van fully loaded from Ibiza to UK 2 months ago and to be honest only struggled a bit going up hills.
But here comes the crunch the fuel cost was HORRENDOUS!! hope you are sat down  £530 Crying or Very sad

That is around the same price I got on my annual trips down to Alicante, via Dover/Dunkerque, each year, with my 2.8 Diesel.
As I didn't do any towing it tends to indicate that towing something, with the Deli, does not have much of an impact on the Petrol Vs Diesel consumption.  Very Happy

There is also the added cost of Petrol costing more than Diesel in both France and Spain.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

For UK use also consider what may happen over the next few years if diesel is taxed or regulated off the road especially in city low emissions zones.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: