Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Adjustable Shocks Not Adjusting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy W

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 20:27    Post subject: Adjustable Shocks Not Adjusting Reply with quote

Hi, I've just replaced my rear springs and all four adjustable shocks as they were stuffed. When I last played around with them a few years ago they were adjusting from sport to non-sport and back with no problems - I could hear the actuators working. This time though, the actuators are not working - I checked them visually and they are not moving, however the dash board lights are indicating sport or non-sport when I press the ECS button.
The sensor for the 4WD & diff lock is playing up and is indicating that the diff is locked but I can't see that interfering with the shocks though.
Has anyone any thoughts on where to look first?

Cheers, Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 20:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Dash indicator is lighting up as SPORT or switching off then it means they are working.
Though you should be able to hear the actuator moving, when you first turn on the ignition, as it does it's self diagnosis  (NB: by that I mean someone sat next to the wheels, not from the driving position.

You cannot physically see the actuators moving, as all moving parts are internal in the actuator and shock absorber.

NB: only Mitsubishi OEM units work with the ECS system.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lewis, the shocks are oem ones so are compatible and I tested the two of the actuators before fitting them to the shocks and was able to see no movement so am struggling with where to start. Do you know where the control unit is located so I can check the wiring out as a starting point?
Cheers, Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy W wrote:
.... Do you know where the control unit is located so I can check the wiring out as a starting point?

I've been looking for that since 2006, with no luck so far.  Confused

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not filling me with confidence!  Sad
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you have checked the ECS fuse is okay?

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Crying or Very sad! -- I have assumed that if the dash light is coming on, it has power, I guess I should confirm this me thinks.
Andy W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning,
I never got very far with trying to get this sorted, to be honest I haven't revisited it till today.  I spotted on the Internet that there is a "Variable Suspension Control Unit - MB921937" for sale, so presumably I have one fitted somewhere however it is not something I have come across.
I spent an hour this morning looking at every page of the Mitsi Electrical Wiring Workshop Manual looking for any mention of suspension to try to find any fuses, relays or reference to the control unit and there was nothing.
Does anyone know where the control unit is located or which fuses and relays are used as I am totally flumuxed by this.

Cheers, Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be behind the panel to the right of the Accelerator pedal.

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a few hours on this as well yesterday and have walked away with not much more understanding than before!

The controller has 22 wires on the plug, there are no logical colour groups of wires which might indicate outputs to each corner of the vehicle, the bigger wires don't have a voltage, and some of the smaller ones do!

The switch to control the suspension on the dash board is a four pin, non latching, switch with 5v on one pin and nothing on the others in either position, it also has an LED fitted to it which I've not noticed before.

I couldn't trace where the wires wires went once they went into the loom so all in all I'm still in the dark!

The thing that seems odd to me though is the 5v output from the controller to the switch, whilst 5v is a healthy electronics voltage it doesn't ring true to me for a vehicle where everything is 12v, so I have purchased a replacement controller from that famous auction site for 30 quid.

Once that arrives, maybe I'll have adjustable suspension again, or it mean's I wasted a lot of money on new Mitsi adjustable shocks!

Andy
Pierre
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

I'm about to start sorting (hopefully) the wiring on my LWB fitted with ECS, have a spare set of shocks just in case the existing ones are duff.

Currently, the fog light switch turns on all the sidelights so will there be similar problems with the ECS switch turning on the wipers, heater or hazards?

Please keep posting, your input could be very welcome!

Regards to all.

Delica Super Exceed LWB PF8W
Suzuki Grand Vitara V6
Sunbeam Tiger 289
Benelli 750 SEI
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Day time running lights (AKA: Foglights) are intentionally wired to switch on the side lights; so you don't forget to turn them off when you get out of the vehicle, i.e. via the warning buzzer wired into the side and headlight system.

The ECS is a separate system.
NB: If any of the shock absorbers are duff then the ECS system stop working, i.e. does not electronically adjust to the terrain your on.

Now for the big word for ANDY W:-

B  I  N  G  O

Just sat idly looking through L400 circuit sheets and suddenly spotted what has been sat, unnoticed, in front of my eyes, for years. Smile

The ECS uses the same fuse as the ABS - SuperSelect gears and Overdrive:-

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you spot that, I spent ages going through the electrical drawings looking for mention of anything to do with the adjustable suspension and never found a thing - what sad lives we live!

However, the new controller arrived yesterday, fitted it and now have adjustable shocks again.

Good to know a bit more detail though Lewis, cheers,

Andy
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Specs.  Very Happy

ルイス
Andy W

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to try that too!
Pierre
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis,

Later yesterday, after much poking of and tracing of behind wires, I concluded the fog light switch also turned on the sidelights. What I haven't yet followed through is the adjacent A/B switch wiring when my LWB is devoid of fog/running lights!

Info on the ECS is most gratefully received.

Kind regards.

Suzuki Grand Vitara V6
Sunbeam Tiger 289
Benelli 750 SEI
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned that issue at the top of my post above, with the circuit diagrams on.

As for the A/B issue you only get that switch when both the inner and outer pairs of front DRL's have been fitted. They are a grade option, so the original owner would have had them factory fitted.

That switch's function is explained on the Warning lights post here:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45994 in the Right of Steering Wheel section

ルイス
Pierre
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more investigation behind the dash and discovered the wires from the A/B switch had been cut short. No sign of any continuation wiring.

Now removed the A/B switch to verify wire colour coding. So more investigation required, hopefully something somewhere will match up.

ECS functionality testing to follow soon - I hope.

Regards to all.

Suzuki Grand Vitara V6
Sunbeam Tiger 289
Benelli 750 SEI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: