4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Is it knackered?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexcoist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 21:53    Post subject: Is it knackered? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have had my L400 about six months now and apart from a couple small issues, it has been great, until yesterday evening.

I drove from Edinburgh to Wales and back, about 10 miles from getting back home, there were some serious load grinding/scraping noises for around a minute before a bit of a bang. After that, the diff lock light begun flashing orange continually and I have a quieter, but still very noticeable, grinding noise.

The drive was to pick up a puppy so it is possible that the amount of stuff in the front footwell has possibly nudged the diff lock on but I doubt it.

It still seems to be able to select 2WD and 4WD but the grinding noise is worrying.

Does anyone have a good guess at whats gone wrong and broken here?  I haven't moved it yet, is it a bad idea to drive it?

Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 21:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

alexcoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so no response yet but I have done some reading into this and the cheapest / easiest option to get the van moving again seems to be to just buy a second hand diff and fit that as they can be picked up for around £100 delivered.

The question I now have is whether I need to buy a front or rear diff assembly? I am pretty deaf so it's hard for me to trace a noise by ear, but it seems that the crunching was louder in turns which would lead me to believe that it would be the front diff. Does that make sense?

If anyone thinks they can help diagnose then please chip in as I really need this thing back on the road ASAP and can not afford multiple trips to a garage.

Thank you!
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the simpler items first -

Wheel Bearing/s - - - In 2WD - Place trolley jack under Lower Wishbone, as close as possible to the road wheel.
Grasp the wheel firmly in the Vertical position, As hard as you can rock the wheel back & forth.
If there is "Play" or slackness, then rotate the wheel, listen for noise/s.

Do this test for both front wheels - then the rear wheels.

CVJ/s Same as above. Whilst you have each wheel jacked up, Grasp the Drive Shaft, try to lift up/down - Left/Right.
The drive shafts should move a little Horizontally.

Please let us know the results of the tests.

HTH

Mr D
alexcoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deker,

Thanks so much for the pointers. I tried what you said and found it a bit unsteady with my current, somewhat under powered, jack setup. Paid the local garage £20 to get it up on the ramp today and have a good nosey for 20 mins and it appears you were correct in that it isn't the diff.

The guys at the garage suggested finding a new front left hub and swingarm. I think I have found an appropriate hub on ebay and am now trying to source the swingarm. Shall report back.
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing arm? I guess they mean wishbone, without seeing it I couldn't guess but I've not fitted a wishbone for a hub fault

It's A Shame That Stupidity Isn't Painful..

One dent at a time...
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said bearing first try Milners 4x4 for them they do a kit and do the hub upright bearing too why you are at it.
Bazza

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: