4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Times for new shoes (aka yet another tyre thread)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 23:25    Post subject: Times for new shoes (aka yet another tyre thread) Reply with quote

Hi everyone, long time no see!

It's time to get some new tyres! I was hoping to be able to find some nice new rims (wider, nicer offset etc) but it appears the money tree is not going to bear sufficient fruits for this.

So, I am "stuck" with the L300 stock wheels for now (6J R15) on which I currently have Cooper Discoverer 215/80/15's.

Now, I'm pretty sure from reading on here and elsewhere that 235/75/R15's fit these rims fine, correct? The "tyre shop" down the road was surprisingly unhelpful with this.  Rolling Eyes
I note that this size is a lot more easily available than the current size (more choice).

On the choice, does anyone have any experience with, and/or can recommend/advise against with any of these:

General Grabber AT3
Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
I would love to go for BFG T/A KO2's but those are quite a bit more expensive than the cheapest options for the above.

Both of these are listed as better wet grip than the newer Cooper Discoverer AT3's, which is pretty much the only thing I didn't like about my current Coopers.
On the whole, good wet/snow grip is top of my list, with decent offroad performance also a must (although I'm not interested in completely sacrificing performance on road.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

J
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 23:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

235/75/15 s is almost the same as the OEM spec for the rim size.

I've used the Geolanders in the past and was really happy with them. They were also what Mitsi used for factory supply.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran 235/75x15 on the stock rims for years, they fit fine and as you say there's more choice at better prices.

Used Coopers (at2 I think) then general grabbers, also at2, which were better all round but I think slightly noisier. Was a while back and they're all at3 models prob different.
Now running 16 rims with more road bias tyres because that's 95% of my driving.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both. Smile

Lewis wrote:
They were also what Mitsi used for factory supply.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. They get generally pretty good reviews, too.

PinkPig, I hear what you're saying, I too do mostly road driving but I do also use it up/down various tracks fairly regularly.
What 16 inch rims do you have? I assume they are 7J's? I'm still really keen on slightly wider, but particularly smaller offset (i.e. further out), rims.
There's a few for sale on eB at the moment that I really, really love the look of, but they don't come with decent tyres on - understandable for the price, but it's really new tyres  that I need, and rims I "want"!
Also, for things like this I suspect I would actually need a proper lift rather than just turned up torsion bars - and I don't think I can be bothered!
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Hankook Dynapro AT/M s 235/75/15 on the rear of mine, good tread and keeps the speedo fairly accurate.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also ran Falken Land-Air ATs looking at some old photos.

These are the current wheels. L200 Warrior which have a slightly wider offset (exactly level with the body, so no extra arches required)
Mine has a 2inch lift and rubs very slightly on full lock reversing. Steps and mudflaps removed.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vN6ZpcgYWxr4NyPb7

Tyres I chose explained here:-
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50132&highlight=tyres

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
grib

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ko2 on mine and there great. Only used them once on snow as it never snows here. But was surprised how good they are . they gripped really well. I had road tyres on before and I can say that there's not much difference in sound. And they do look cool
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest wheel option upgrade is to buy some Pajero / Shogun mk2 alloy rims

It's A Shame That Stupidity Isn't Painful..

One dent at a time...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the advice, everyone! Smile
I suspect I will go for a set of the Yokohama's on the rims I've got for now, and when I get some spare funds together (read: some time in the next decade), I will revisit the idea of some different rims.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: