Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Number Plate sizes??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anti Hero
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 21:15    Post subject: Number Plate sizes?? Reply with quote

Hi all, can anyone tell me what size a pair of number plates wold be, both front and rear. I have just bought the reg number and want to get my plates made up. There are none on it at the moment so I have nothing to measure it by. All help much appreciated.  Smile

Thanks all.

Pete  Cool
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 21:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete.

This is an interesting question - For, there are some exclusions (See Reg. plate in my Avatar)

Look up the DVLA site for Reg. plate sizes. Find the part about "Grey" import vehicles - may be year related  Question

My Front Reg. plate is smaller than what most vehicles have, and is quite legal.
BUT - The rear plate is of the standard legal size.

The colours have to conform to modern standards, with reflective background/s.
Front = Black characters on White. For the Rear = Black on Yellow.

My Car. Front plate measures 340 mm * 100 mm. It fits in the place allocated by the car manufacturer.

Other cars Front plate = 520 mm * 110 mm  (Same as the rear plate)

NOTE. Some plates may be "taller" by way of having the plate vendors logo (i.e. vehicle supplier) on the lower part.

Some years back, it was relatively easy to spot a Coppers In Disguise car, due to not having a plate suppliers name on it.
That has now changed, after a certain year, all Reg. plates must have the plate suppliers name on them  Sad

HTH

Mr D
Anti Hero
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Derek. My front plate seems to be a square one instead of oblong. I will do what you suggest regarding the DVLA  Smile.

Cheers mate.

Pete'  Cool
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download this:- UK.Gov Pdf of the current Number plate regultions

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most L300s have a square front plate fitted in the manufacturers original position.
Might not be the same for an L400.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the square plates fitted on my L400 as it's an import, no issues with MOT/legality as they are the original size for the vehicle.

Rich
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine were originally square, but they got broken, whilst offroading, so I swapped to the long plate and fittd it up out of the way; as per the middle photo in my sig pic below.

NB: From what I can gather the plates displaying the EU symbol with the GB symbol below will be illegal after Brexit.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
Mine were originally square, but they got broken, whilst offroading, so I swapped to the long plate and fittd it up out of the way; as per the middle photo in my sig pic below.

NB: From what I can gather the plates displaying the EU symbol with the GB symbol below will be illegal after Brexit.

FFS! Will a piece of carefully applied electrical tape of the right colour be sufficient to pass its MOT/ not get pulled by plod, or are you just winding me up, Lewis.?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue Background, with the Yellow stars and the country code, indicates the Car comes from a member state of the EU. After Brexit Great Britain will no longer be a member state. You will be required to have a GB sticker on the car.  I'm not sure how long drivers will be able to get away with keeping the EU symbol on their plates, but I bet it won't be long before the EU attempts to extract cash from drivers with them on, laiming they are falsely claiming to be from an EU country.

In 2017 the EU did pass legislation about it; and it usually takes about two years for EU edicts to filter down into local laws.
I imaging the French and Spanish Police, with their systems of 'roadside fines', with cash payments, will be quick to jump on it.

See this Express newpaper article from 2017:-
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/786435/BREXIT-BOMBSHELL-EU-demands-UK-number-plate-RECALLED-2019

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe everything you read in the Express, Lewis. It's as Brexit biased as the Guardian is Remain!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Express is irrelevent.  It is just one news media amongst many.

It's the fact the legislation was passed that is what matters; and they spotted it.

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll simply obscure the EU symbol and  stick a Halfords oval GB sticker on  the car - IF the European Parliamiament pass this as law. Our number plates don't look like any other EU number plate anyway, so we are hardly likely to be done for false pretences. And if every EU country has to conform to EXACTLY the same style of registration plate, there'll be an awful lot of unhappy EU car drivers having to buy new plates!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I retained mine, when I got EU ones for going over the channel.  Very Happy

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even remember if any of mine have euro symbols on them, - they are all old! (Not black-and-white old, though).
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front one should be.  Very Happy

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked. The only one of my family's six cars outside to wear the EU stars is the derelict MG, which also includes the UK Union flag. All the others, including daughter's 2011 Polo, have no indication of country, front or rear, except my Rover, which has just the UK union flag on its plates. Well it would, wouldn't it?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the BBC has caught up with my Revalation  Very Happy : - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49558563

ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot cheaper than buying new number plates, like the Express claimed. Not a problem. Fake news!
Anti Hero
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSMonkey wrote:
I have the square plates fitted on my L400 as it's an import, no issues with MOT/legality as they are the original size for the vehicle.
ich

So, what is the actual size of your front number plate Rich'?? In millimeters. My Deli' has the small square number plate bit to fix to but, I don't have an existing number plate with which to measure from. Also, could you please tell me the actual size in millimeters of your oblong rear one?? Many thanks in advance mate.   Smile  .

Thank you to everyone else who replied!

Pete'  Cool
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll measure them this afternoon and post back
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: