Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

DIY roof rack planning & roof mounted spare tyre?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 22:30    Post subject: DIY roof rack planning & roof mounted spare tyre? Reply with quote

Does anyone here carry their spare tyre on the roof? I'm thinking obvs L300 but any experience with L400 would be useful to here to.

I've been planning to make my own roof rack / platform for a while and have been collecting bits of steel in preparation for this.
Now I've got a few bits I'm starting to mull over designs, and I've been wondering whether I should consider making some space for the spare up there.

Two reasons I'm thinking this; (1) it would be an easier solution for when I finally get my bigger wheels which won't easily fit in the "cradle" underneath,
and (2) it would free up space underneath for a potential grey water tank (or other such things).
I'm thinking set ups such as this (not my photos or my vehicle!):

However, I don't really have any experience with carrying such weight on the roof. As said, plenty of online info seems to suggests it is theoretically fine,
but is it wise/safe/etc? Does it affect handling much?

Am I overthinking this?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 22:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of making it top heavy, which raises the centre of balance and makes it more liable to tipping over when offroad.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
YOZA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put one on a roof crate, it was an epic to get on and off even with the ladder. Confused

I struggled doing a change outside my house, so i thought how difficult woud it be to have to do it on a motorway hard shoulder, dark, freezing and in the rain, no thanks.....so I put a huge sub woofer in it and mounted it in the boot. Idea

I would estimate that my wheel and tyre must weigh 35kgs, so undoing it from a roof crate whilst balanced on one leg via a boot ladder is a workout. Then you have to get it down to the ground, you can’t just drop it as it would bounce all over the place, in my case probably against my truck.

Multi story car parks and fee paying barriers are the easiest way to get it off. Shocked
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed (just) to get my 265/70/15 spare into the cradle, and by making simple 2"/50mm strap extensions to the front hangers on the cradle, it continues to sit snugly under the van, and releases on the same bolt and rear hanger. I had to change it by the side of the A66 when a rear tyre blew after a day of laning. Even hanging the flat tyre back up in the cradle made me sweat! No way would I want it on the roof. I have a 7ft long steel roof rack (flat, no sides) on 3, long-leg roof bars. I've only ever carried ladders on it, and I only need bars for that. Could be persuaded to part with it. Can send pics to an e-mail address.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts all.
The points about the pain (ahem) of moving it up and down there are very fair, I had been thinking about that, too.
I guess it just depends on how much I want the "cradle" space underneath for something else, to which the answer is "not urgently".
Perhaps the only real solution is to just give it a go and see how much I hate having it up there.

andyman wrote:
I have a 7ft long steel roof rack (flat, no sides) on 3, long-leg roof bars. I've only ever carried ladders on it, and I only need bars for that. Could be persuaded to part with it. Can send pics to an e-mail address.

Thanks Andy - I certainly wouldn't mind seeing photos! Smile However, truth be told, part of the enjoyment for me would be making it from scratch.Is yours steel or aluminium?
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM your e-mail, and I'll send some pics. It is a welded steel fabrication - would make a good base for a roof tent.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the heavy one we lifted off Gregg's L400 at Coniston?

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that one (I think it was Steve/Illapullito). The difficulty was not so much the weight, more trying to get it off with the bars attached while all standing on tip-toe, and trying not to damage the top of Steve's LWB high roof with the feet. I have re-designed  it so that you fit the roof bars first, then slide it up and on from the side, (I can do this single-handed, and I'm not as fit as I was.) Than it clamps to the bars with some adjustable wing-nut clamps I made.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Steve's bars were rusty-rotten at the ends, I had a pair of Thule short leg bars I bought at a boot sale - much stronger/thicker steel. Third bar was made from the middle bits of Steve's bars, with a welded, wrap-around splint. Then I fitted Steve's legs. Well, the ones that came with his bars! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: