Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

3L V6 6G72 Cam belt replacement issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 15:39    Post subject: 3L V6 6G72 Cam belt replacement issue Reply with quote

Hi guys. I (stupidly) entrusted my Delica to a local garage (not Mitsi) for cam belt, pulleys, water pump etc replacement, it's been a good 50K since they were last changed I think. They seem to have made a right royal f*k up of it, should have taken four hours tops and they've now had it for a week. They trapped the cam sensor wire when reassembling, obviously it stalled when it shorted out, then they flattened the battery trying to get it started. They repaired the damaged wiring and managed to get it started again.

Currently they are unable to tension the belt properly. I provided a new hydraulic tensioner and new pulleys including the eccentric tensioner pulley. Their observation is that the belt sags when the engine is stopped. As far as I can tell, there should be no possibility of it sagging or slackening at all if it has been tensioned properly in the first place. Never having attempted it myself, my guess is that they haven't tensioned the 'non tensioner' side (i.e. the right hand side, before the crank) - in other words the belt is one tooth out on this side when they are attempting to tension the back of the belt (after the crank). I expect the timing marks will be very slightly out if they were to check them carefully. Seems like I'm going to have to get involved.

Anybody any suggestions please?? I should have done this job myself, not pleasant but I reckon I could certainly have done it within two days without access to a ramp!

Cheers

H!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 15:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RobH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! Finally got the Delica back, it has a coolant leak from the top of the engine and the radiator has had the expansion tank connector GLUED back on!! They've clearly broken it off whilst installing or removing. The expansion tank was overfilled to the top!

I guess I'll have to put a new rad in there or won't be able to go anywhere without being nervous of the inevitable burst rad and further potential damage. It appears that the Petrol V6 L400 uses the same rad as the 2.8TD, can any one confirm this please?

Cheers
H
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it back, just be calm and ask for the money for a new rad, as they broke it.

Tell them as a gesture of good will you are going to fit it yourself.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree with Yoza.

The garage is legally responsible for damaging the radiator and responsible for paying for the repair.
If they get funny then remind them of the Small Claims court, which will order them to pay for the repair and your court costs.
If they fail to do as the court orders then they are in deep dodo, as it is classed as a breach of a court order, which is a criminal offence.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
RobH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both for your input. The latest update; wouldn't start last night, missing and backfiring, a piece of exhaust fell off with a clang (just a shroud), finally got it started, ran badly and sounded crap, obviously wasn't fit to drive but I needed to get it 6 miles home so I could work on it myself. Engine stalled a couple of miles in and wouldn't start, AA called out, 1 hr wait so persevered and restarted when it had cooled a bit. Managed to nurse it all the way home with one more stop en route, no power, coolant boiling over. It now sits on my drive waiting for me to get to work on it. I reckon they fudged the tensioning of the belt rather than get it right, tensioner has gradually lost pressure and it's now slipped to be a tooth or 2 out with a slack belt - no longer driving the water pump properly.

The really annoying thing is that I didn't attempt the job myself because I didn't want to damage my fragile back again and thought I'd leave it to someone who knew what they were doing, I've never done a Mitsi belt before, only Nissan. Turns out they know fk all and I'm having to redo the whole thing again myself. I just hope no permanent damage has been done... I also don't have a'good' configuration to work from, can't see how it was correctly put together by Mitsi, taking photos during dismantling is relatively pointless because the garage pulled it apart and put it back together wrong!!

Cheers
H
mark3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be a good and permanent repair for your radiator  Very Happy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Radiator-Overflow-Stub-Pipe-M8-X-1-25-Thread/151014225863

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...worth a thought if I the diesel rad won't fit...
flowerpower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be carefully these Mitsubishi engines are interference engines if belt brakes can cause catastrophic damage ☹️
RobH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel Rad doesn't fit, lower hose connection is on the wrong side (I think). The garage repair seems to have used a stub pipe held secure with epoxy, I guess I'll have to rely on this for now..
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the rads were the same but have just looked on the tigweld4u site and yes, they are different.

By pointing that out you may have saved me a future mistake.

Thanks  thumbright
gypsy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar comedy of errors with my new one. I bought a new import from Algys and got them (or should I say their agents) to change the belts before I drove it home. It drove home fine, but two days later just would not start. I had an auto electrician look at it, he seemed to think it was an ECU fault, £600 ater it was still not starting so I took it to Mitsi and for £300 they found that the belt was not installed correctly or had slipped a couple of teeth. They sorted that out but in the desperation the auto electrician had wound in the sir bypass screw on the injector body, another garage visit to get the cold start sorted and the throttle body set up correctly, all in all it cost me about £1500 to get sorted a badly fitted timing belt.
So the moral of this story is choose your garage wisely when dealing with timing belts. They are a serviceable item but with this V6 engine they are a blow to work on and the garage needs to know what they are doing.
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Top garage for belt replacement and /or pretty much anything Delica is svs In Verwood.

Experienced with these engines and very professional and personal service.

If it's not close then factor in as a holiday visit  Question   Very Happy director2 Idea
PacmanL400

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit nearer for you is Steve Bell Motors in Newton le Willows in the last three years they have always sorted mine as they know their way around them having been importers in the past.
fintious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read and has really made me think about taking mine to my local garage. Can anyone recommend a good garage in Sheffield or Chesterfield that are good with 3.0 Deli’s?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: