Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

It never bl***y ends!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 14:51    Post subject: It never bl***y ends! Reply with quote

Sad
After yesterday's 13-hour+ monsoon in Central Scotland, today I found the inside of the van sodden and dripping.
That's all that effort a while ago trying to sort a lot of rust and holes in the roof, it looks like previous repairs (bodges?) have started to give up again.

There is an actual drip coming from the central light console in the rear, conveniently right above where my pillow is on the bed - and we are due to go away on a weekend camping trip this Friday!  Crying or Very sad

Looks like I'll be stripping all the roof liner. Again.  Evil or Very Mad We are still going camping though, even if it means sleeping under a tarp.

Although I'm now really concerned where this water is coming from. Monsoon it may be, but it's more than a weeping seal somewhere, I suspect.  Confused

Woe is me!  Rolling Eyes
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 14:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeroen; reading back through your previous Adventures in Rusty Roof Land, and Mouseflakes' last remark about leaks around the Crystallite windows, unless you have found any of your previous panel bonding has developed cracks, I suspect this is where you should start looking. My recent rear wheelarch/outrigger welding is not the best, or continuous, so after grinding down the welds, I have applied copious smearings of black rubber gutter mastic. Of course, I can't get into the box sections to see how effective this is, but if you an get the joins dry (hairdryer?) it might prevent you being waterboarded by Selma. Call in if you are coming past this way, and I'll put my brain into gear for a solution. Two sheeps heads are better than one!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a leaky seal around a roof window, then it is probably in a corner.

Wynn's Black Gasket maker is ideal for repairing them and it is a pressurised container with a stiff nozzle and simple hand pressure control.

It will fully fill any gaps and even seal if under water.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Tue Aug 11, 2020 13:53; edited 1 time in total
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - no idea how to help, only one warning:-
When at the Isle of Wight Festival a few years ago a seam went on the pop-top canvas in the night and the rain was leaking on the co-driver. She woke me up from my cider infused coma for me to apparently offer her a saucepan to catch the drips then rolled over back to sleep. I was re-awoken and, to keep it family friendly, 'asked for a better solution'. Lesson - saucepans hurt  drunken  drunken

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkPig wrote:
I was re-awoken and, to keep it family friendly, 'asked for a better solution'. Lesson - saucepans hurt  drunken  drunken

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Thanks gents.
Andy, yeah, I suspect it must be the roof window seals, it's the only area above that light cluster area that I can reasonable imagine water coming in, but hey, this van appears to have special black magic that appears to make water defy the laws of gravity!  Shocked
I wouldn't be surprised that I will have to basically use mastic along all of the roof window seals. Needs must.
I am definitely going to have another look above the roof liner though. It'll be a job, but I guess it's a good excuse to finally fix that one Crystalite blind motor.

I've now painted most of the van in Raptor liner - except the roof, basically. Current plan is to strip the whole roof again, sort out where the panel bond has started to lift (before you ask - definitely not the cause of the current leak - this is much further forward), probably actually welding this time, stick several coats of epoxy primer and a couple of raptor liner on, and hope for the best.  Twisted Evil

Also - Andy - would definitely have popped in (could have brought along that radiator fan!) but we're heading north and west this time (Arran). Should be heading to Alston before long, so will arrange to meet up then.

Thanks again for all the commiserations (which really what this post was fishing for, obvs...  Laughing ).
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping you get Der Leaker waterproof so you can enjoy Arran. No rush with the A/C fan. Although I've got the fan moving with a bit of brute force and WD40, I'm not convinced it'll work. I'll need to get the system refilled with gas to find out. So I'll be pleased to have it, whatever the result.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping trip survived without drips.  Cool To be fair, very little rain, in fact pretty much the best possible weather we could wish for in the Hebrides - sunny and warm most of the time, with a pleasant breeze to keep (most of) the midges at bay.

Will post some pictures elsewhere.

Anyway, thinking about the leaks problem. I wonder whether adding a good bead of sealant in the joint between the roof windows and the roof would work?
Or would that just be asking for more problems down the line?
Definitely will be treating recurring rust on the roof itself (and paint as detailed before), but just wondering whether I'd be able to get away without having to remove the internal roof liner AGAIN.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:

Wynn's Black Gasket maker is ideal for repairing them and it is a pressurised container with a stiff nozzle and simple hand pressure control.

It will fully fill any gaps and even seal if under water.

HTH

Lewis, sorry, meant to say - I had seen this, just never used the Wynn's stuff you suggest. I assume this is mostly for filling gaps as opposed to PU sealant type stuff, like TIgerseal?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a full usage gasket maker, not just a gap filler.

https://www.wynns.uk.com/product/black-gasket-maker/

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmh. That may work. Maybe I will fill the edge between the roof window seals and the actual roof with this. At least that should rule out any leaks coming through there.
Not as if it needs to look "nice" up there.  Laughing
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the website... "this product is not for replacing head gaskets". No shit!  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if they call the product "Gasket Maker", without conditions or exclusions, you know someone will use it for a head gasket, then sue them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: