2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Alternator belts - replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delicalwb95

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 18:37    Post subject: Alternator belts - replacement Reply with quote

hi everyone
                i am looking to replace the two drive belts on my 1995 lwb L400.  the alternator belt and the a/c compressor belt have had a look and can see how to loosen off the alternator.and there by release the belts from round the pulley.but whats the best way to remove them from around the crasnk pulley?.obviously cutting them off is the simplest option.but how do you get the new belts onto the crank pulley and then the alternator pulley.

many thanks

ian
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 18:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this DIY post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49537

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス

Last edited by Lewis on Sun Jun 09, 2019 14:01; edited 4 times in total
delicalwb95

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 18:08    Post subject: fan belt replacement Reply with quote

thank you for the pics and the information in your reply.will let you know how i get on.

thanks

ian
Mclarkie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great explanation, and the photos make it excellent.

But i'm stuck.
I can't get the OEM belts over the alternator pulley. Closest I can get is still a few cm away.
Is there a trick to that part?
The belts I took off are clearly longer in distance all stretch or slightly different belts?
Deker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mclarkie.

I assume you have removed the Air filter, and large air hose that goes to the Turbo.
If not, then do so - it gives much easier access for this "simple"  Rolling Eyes  job.

You do have the lower main Alternator nut/bolt loose  Question  So that the alternator moves freely.
While you are doing this job, remove the main bolt, apply grease to it, and re-insert.
Can save a "Load O Grief" in the future.

Have you got the Alternator really close to the block  Question

Not shown in Lewis's picture, is the bolt that holds the adjusting bracket (the one with the slot) to the engine block,
this also has to be slackened.

HTH

Mr D
mark3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without wanting to p1ss anyone off on here i have changed/removed these belts literally 100s of times and have never bothered taking off anything else, have never even considered it as there is just no need  Shocked

The alternator securing bolt is visible and easily accessible with a ratchet and normal size 12mm socket or spanner, then if you pull the bottom hose over to the right (as you look down) you will see the tensioning bolt which is also quite easy to get to, the pivot bolt won't need undoing as the alternator will move okay because one of its 2 fixings are bushed  Very Happy

Feed the belts through the fan blades to remove them then & do the same with the new pair to get them onto the pulleys, obviously after removing the air con belt first  Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have loosened the top tensioner bolt and slackened the adjuster bolt the alternator should rotate towards the engine block in an arc, thus slackening the two belts. If it doesn’t due to the bottom sleeved pivot bolt being seized simply put some force on the two belts mid point between the alternator and the fan pulley with a block of wood, this will free the unit and allow belt removable.

I have done this 237 times and it worked every time.

PS I have once used a scaff bar wedged against the chassis leg and alternator case for leverage, this cracked the alternator casing so I don’t do that anymore. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: