4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

2.5 diesel. 2 wheel drive.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy2shades

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 19:02    Post subject: 2.5 diesel. 2 wheel drive. Reply with quote

Hi there

I'm considering buying a 1998 2.5TD 2 wheel drive Delica.
They seem pretty rare and I'm struggling to find information on them.
Can anybody shed some light on the MPG I can expect to get?
I'm expecting it to be better on fuel than the 2.8l, but I can't find the stats.
Also is there anything majorly negative about that model?
Are parts difficult to get?
I'm planning to turn it into a camper, so it'll be doing a lot of miles.

All help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 19:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disadvantage - First, is to compare the power. You will need to drive both the 2.5 and 2.8.
IMO, the 2.8 is the best option
No 4 WD on a muddy campsite  Sad  And many times I have used, and needed the 4 WD on tarmac roads.

Advantage = lower body, easier to enter & exit the car.
If the engine is similar to the L 300, it is simpler to maintain. (allegedly  Question )

For a camper vehicle, High Roof is definitely the best option.
I do not know if this is available with the 2 WD car. Lewis will know  Wink

Also note: The 4 WD have 6 stud wheels, lots of options & spares available.
The 2 WD have 5 stud wheels. I don't know about the options.

Fuel usage. One does not buy a Delica for economical MPG.
One buys a Delica for its uniqueness. and usability. A true MPV. Especially the 4 WD version.

Note = The 7 seater has some advantages over the 8 seat version.

That's my bit. No doubt others will be along, to agree/disagree  Confused

Mr D
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

4D56Turbo engine has timing belts which should be changed every 50,000 miles /80,000km or 5years. As with all Mitsubishi diesels, maintenance of the cooling system is very important, as the water channels in both radiator and block are narrow, so prone to furring up and will cause overheating if coolant is not changed regularly and kept clean. Plastic expansion tanks on older models  become brittle and crack - check this and pipe connections when viewing. The 4D56 in the L400 2WD benefits from an intercooler, so pruduces more power than in the L300 where there isn't room for one. This factor combined with lower weight and more aerodynamic shape should enable it to achieve better MPG than either the L300 or 400 4WD versions which typically achieve between 24-29mpg in good order, perhaps nearer 33-35. It should also cruise at higher speeds than the L300 (my L300 maintains 60 - 65 on motorways, returning around 27mpg on such a run.) Crystallite roof is a high roof. Auto boxes (3speed + overdrive tend to be very reliable if the fluid is changed every 25k miles) High milage 5speed manuals can get whiney in top. It will probably be wise to check thoroughly for rust in the chassis in the wheelarch areas, as this is a problem in many older L400s, even when the bodywork looks good. Hope this helps.
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS small oil leaks from the cam cover gasket are common and may disguise more serious leaks or look like something more serious, but in themselves, are little more than a messy annoyance - just check how much oil it is using. Mine has leaked since I bought it 9years ago, but has never used more than a pint between oil changes (5,000 miles) - now on 105,000miles/170,000km.
Tommy2shades

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy and Mr D.

Very good of you to share your knowledge at the weekend.

Mr D, I understand what you mean.. the mpg shouldn't be a deciding factor, but Andys mpg input is a big bonus.

It is a crystallite high roof, and the blinds to it are working.

It's only done 130,000 km/ 80,000 miles, but there's no evidence of cambelt being changed and the seller hasn't had it long. So if they haven't been changed it's 30,000 miles overdue.
There is an oil leek on mot advisories and the o/s rear coil spring is corroded, Track rod end ball joints have play and both rear suspension arm pins or bushes are worn.. none seriously.
It has been welded as the N/S front body or chassis failed mot two yrs ago with excessive corrosion within a foot of the body mountings, wheel arch. It's just passed mot two months ago, so hopefully no welding needed at present?
There's a leak in expansion tank, so will need to be immediately replaced and the power steering belt is noisy when cold.
I'm wondering if any of the above should ring and alarm bells? Or just standard maintenance?
Could it have gone 30,000 miles over a due cambelt change?

Sorry, Loads of questions 🙄

It is an auto box and a 7 seater.. So it's winning on those points...
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The faults you describe are fairly typical for a vehicle of this age which has not been thoroughly maintained - check the colour of the auto fluid - should be a nice, clear pink/red, not dark red, and definitely not going brown. Auto changes should be smooth but definite, not wavering, try using all the gearshift positions at suitable speeds, and once warm, try putting it into O/D at around 45 -50mph - it should respond instantly, but smoothly. These are one of the nicest auto-boxes I have experienced. It is possible that the timing belts have never been changed - it is not a big job to remove the top belt cover to inspect them. Way back, I bought a Peugeot diesel with over 100k on it - it ran beautifully. At 110k, I discovered that the belt should have been changed at 80k I bought the belt, to replace it that weekend. It didn't make it - belt snapped on way home!. If you can't establish  if they have been changed, factor in at least £200 for a garage to do this. If it has been welded 2 years ago, expect more welding to be needed elsewhere at MoT time or plan for it when you don't need the car. Don't pay over the odds for it, although these are fairly rare, there are plenty of equally competent, less difficult for spares, 2WD MPVs to choose from, on the other hand, the 4WD Delicas have very few rivals. Hyundai made a clone of this vehicle called the Starex, imported into Europe, so parts may be compatible/available through that route as well.
Tommy2shades

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy

I really appreciate your time and help.

I'm viewing it tomorrow and will bear everything you've said in mind.
I've been quoted £300 for the belt changes and plan to change the expansion tank myself.

I'm a bit concerned about the power steering noise issue and hope it's relatively inexpensive to fix.
Any idea how expensive it could be at worst?

He said he'll let it go for £1500, but it's going to need £500 spent on it immediately, making it a bit more expensive than I was hoping to pay.

To be honest I'd prefer a 2.8 4x4, but the mpg over a few thousand miles is a genuine deciding factor..
if the mpg was the same I'd go for the 4x4.

I've wanted a Delica for years and finally close.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy2shades wrote:

To be honest I'd prefer a 2.8 4x4, but the mpg over a few thousand miles is a genuine deciding factor..

Fuel economy is neglible.

Getting stuck on a beach, wet camping field, icy road or in a snowy lane and needing a tow truck will wipe out far more than any savings you would make.

Additionally a 2WD has only a single piston front brake, whilst the 4WD has twin pistons. Many 2WD owners are either fitting twin pistons, or swapping to 4WD.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy2shades wrote:

I've wanted a Delica for years and finally close.

After the Coniston meet, drove home, only used less than 3/4 tank of fuel.
I haven't topped up yet, but I reckon that should be around 29 MPG  Smile  

Many more 2.8   4*4 Delica's available.
As Lewis sez. Get one that's in good tune, it should equal the 2.5 for fuel usage.

Mr D
Tommy2shades

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lewis and Mr D

That's some serious food for thought and really good to know.

If the difference is negligible, I'd rather sleep on top of a hill than in a car park
At the bottom of it.

All input has been a huge help. Seriously, thank you for your time and sharing your knowledge.
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just from your description of it, I think his starting price is optimistic at least. Have a look on FaceBook Delica mart to see what is available on there. I haven't looked recently, but I reckon you'd get a 4WD 2.8 Delica in similar or better condition than that for similar money. But go and have a look at it anyway, I may be underestimating it. But be prepared to walk away. It's hard not buy these heart over head, and it is apparently fairly low mileage, and its good points may mitigate against the bad. If you're not sure about what you see, tell them you need to get more answers on here - we'll do our best. Check for any leaks from the steering rack and pipes, if it shrieks at full lock, that is most likely to be the steering pump belt - should be tighter, - is it worn and stretched?
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-read your post "power steering belt is noisy when cold". It could be the alternator belts. Mine need changing, they have run out of adjustment and squeal when the engine is cold and the glow plugs are working due to added resistance from the alternator (at least shows its working!) They stop squealing after a minute or so, when the glow plugs click off, or if coasting when cold.
Tommy2shades

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy

The owner tells me the pas is only squeaking when cold and the plugs are good, so maybe it is the alternator belts.
Are they easy enough to adjust or replace?
Any idea on a worst case scenario price to get the alternator belts changed?
Also, would a 2.8 Delica expansion tank fit a 2.5l?

Sorry for the constant bombardment of questions...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vehicle is identical. Only the engine, exhaust and inlet manifolds, mountings, etc, in the bay and related engine electrics are different.

The cooling systems and other ancilliaries are the same.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Tommy2shades

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis

Good to know not all of the parts are model specific.

I'm awaiting acces to the Delica mart Fb page.
Looking forward to taking a look at what's out there:)
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the event you haven't already seen it, take a look at this post:- Specifications and model info for potential L400 buyers

HTH

ルイス
Tommy2shades

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lewis

I hadn't seen it.

Very useful and much appreciated
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the alternator, steering pump and adjuster are the same as on a L300, access is fiddly, you need long, thin hands and arms, and good 3/8" drive socket set or ratchet spanners, with fine ratchets. There is a locking bolt at the front, which has to be loosened to allow the adjuster bolt to adjust. My belts have stretched beyond adjustment. They may be twin or single, - if twin, buy two of the same make and batch, as they can't be adjusted individually, although a tighter one will wear and stretch until they are both equally loose, at which point  they'll squeal! You may have to remove guards from underneath and other parts above to get good access. If it's the steering belt, one of the fixing bolts has a slotted hole through the mounting bracket for adjustment - hard to see.
Tommy2shades

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy

I've decided to walk away from it.
It's a beautiful vehicle, but will instantly be swallowing a substantial amount of money for the problems that I've been made aware of.. And I imagine there'll be a a few more that I'm not aware of.

If it was a 4x4 I'd jump at it, so the search continues lol
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted on your search, and good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: