Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

"Jap car finder"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Dealers / Motor Traders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahudson

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:52    Post subject: "Jap car finder" Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with this dealer? They have a few delicas on autotrader but I'm not yet sure what to look out for.

I'd post a link but I'm not allowed.

Are there any other recommendations for sources of L400 series 2 vehicles around Leeds/Yorkshire?

Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:39    Post subject: Re: "Jap car finder" Reply with quote

Ahudson wrote:
...... I'm not yet sure what to look out for.

This sticky post in the L400 Technical FAQ forum should help:- Specifications and model info for potential L400 buyers

Note that the Series 2 has an electronic injector pump and Mitsubishi will not allow the diagnostic software to be passed onto countries not authorised to have the vehicle exported to them (i.e. Grey Imports). The Injector pump is almost impossible to sort without the software. Some owners in Australia have been able to use aftermarket, third party, diagnotic programmes, with a MUTT II kit.

Some others, in the UK and elsewhere, that have the same engine in their Shogun/Pajero/Montero's have obtained second hand mechanical pumps, as used in the Series 1 and the Series 1 engine management controller, to replace the Series 2 parts. That is far easier to sort, by most garage mechanics. I had been under the impression that the Series 2 EMC unit was not backwards compatible, for reprogramming. But last year another member, who also has a Pajero, advised that our sister club (POCUK) members had been doing it for a while.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Ahudson

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is the only way to fix the injector pump to rip it out and replace with the older mechanical version? Along with the other necessary bits.

There seem to be a lot of series 2 vehicles listed online so are they all just ticking time bombs?

I don't mind doing some maintenance but don't really want to have to rip the thing apart because I picked the wrong model. I can see how the argument will go if I sat in a layby with my wife and two kids and the aa person turns up and just shrugs cos they've not got the software!

What would make you choose between the L300 and the 400 series 1? Is there a big price difference or differences in reliability or fuel efficiency etc.

Sorry for the noob questions but, well, I'm a noob!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite Banter on here both the L300 and L400 are equally capable vehicles.
Each has its own idiosyncrasies.  
It is simply down to personal choice.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

L300 is slower, and less versatile internally (eg you can't walk through from front seats to back due to the engine "hump") It's 4WD is basic - the L400 automatically transfers some drive to the front  when conditions get slippy - very useful in patchy snow or frost. The L300 has to stop to engage/disengage 4WD. Being less sophisticated, most things on the 300 are simpler to diagnose and fix, and on old vehicles, that can save you a lot of time and head-scratching. They are also more rare and appear to be acquiring 'Classic' status, which may mean higher prices. The newer, "Active Field" L400s have proper traction control, so drive is sent to the wheels with most grip - no need for diff locks.
Ahudson

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay.

I've seen an L400 series 1 1995 Royal exceed on ebay for £3895. This seems a lot cheaper than some others and I wondered what you guys would ask yourselves when trying to decide if its worth it or not. I really need a bit of a guide as to what I should look out for.

Thanks for the replies so far 🙂
Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUST!!!
Especially on suspension mounts and structural chassis.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Dealers / Motor Traders All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: