Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

uh oh, MOT troubles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kit352

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 13:58    Post subject: uh oh, MOT troubles Reply with quote

Knowing my MOT was going to potentially be an issue i brought my Deli in for a pre inspection and while i wasn't shocked it is causing me to second guess my choice of keeping the Deli.  Some stuff isn't too bad but i think parts may get me on some.  A few things are quite big and may push the Deli into the scrappers.  i don't think i will be able to do most of these myself with my limited time so i will need to pay for someone to do them.

cracked windshield- too long of a crack and needs replacing
Front shock lower bushing worn- Pretty sure this means i need a new shock which really means i need both shocks.
Steering rack gaiter torn- haven't been able to find a split collar repair gaiter so this will need proper sorting.  
rear rollbar bushings worn- may be easy but what are the chances of the old bushings just coming out easily and not having to torch them out?
All brake lines corroded- this is a big one.  
Both rear inner wells needs repair along with the bumpstop point on the rear of the frame.  This is also a big one.
rear brakes low and need new pads.  
Track rods need replacing.

I am considering letting the old girl go and looking for a better example.  I think i will be spending at least a grand on this to keep it going for another year.  I do enjoy this thing though and it just did a 3500mile trip into europe without issue.  It is however a well worn truck.  No ac, paint work is rough, interior is so-so, 160k miles, needs a fuel pump oring badly etc.  

How much work do we think is involved with these repairs?  I am not sure how many i can tackle with limited time and tools but i am open to suggestions.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 13:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your MOT station do repairs as well as testing?

If so ask for a price and say, yes, or no.
kit352

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do repairs but i asked them to stop quoting me once the estimate hit 4k.  I am in an area that is not cheap for labor sadly.  They wanted a grand just to do the brake lines.  Prior car repairs in the area have always resulted in very high rates as well so i would like to do some of the work myself.
mr.b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kit,

If you don't mind travelling about 80 miles S.V.S. in Three Legged Cross near Ringwood are very
knowledgeable about all things Delica. Give them a call on 01202 821222. Wouldn't your insurance cover
your windscreen and if S.V.S. can't do the welding they probably know someone who does. They did a first
class job on our L300 camper in 2013 and it's passed every mot since no problem.
         Their address is 86 Condor Close, Woolsbridge Ind Park, Ringwood Road, Three Legged Cross,
Wimbourne, Dorset. BH21 6SU.

Hope this is of some help,
                                                              Cheers Chris & Chris.
kit352

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the trip if they can do a good job.  Thanks for the tip.  And yes,  the windshield could be done with insurance so that saves me a little money.

I had a look under the truck last night to get a better idea of what i am in for.  Somethings are worse than i thought and others aren't.
The rot is bad but not terrible.  For the most part it's really clean but the inspector had moved things and exposed ones I hadn't seen before.  The inner rear wells behind the Tyres where the flaps bolt to are gone.  The sill caps in from of the rear tyres are gone but they were covered by filler so I didn't notice them.  The front sill cap is gone on one side.  The bump stop on the rear has made a hole in the frame but it doesn't look rusty really.
I can't see any issue with the front shock bushing being worn but its really hard to see as my view is covered.  I don't think I can just buy a new bushing for it but even if i can i don't think i can get the old one pressed out easily enough to be worth it.
The rear sway bar links are okay but are slightly worn, it's the inner D ones that are gone.  Easy fix.
The brake lines are pretty poor around the axles.  I think the main lines running down the chassis are okay as are the rubber bits.  I think i just need several short sections and a bleed.  Of course it looks like it may be a hard fit to get the old ones off cleanly.
The rear brakes are weak on one side. I Can't seem to turn the adjuster via the hole in the back so just that part may be the issue.  Should not be that bad to fix.
Steering gaiter is torn and the tie rod ends need new covers.  While that isn't particularly bad i don't know if it is something i can tackle on my own.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:54    Post subject: Re: uh oh, MOT troubles Reply with quote

kit352 wrote:
rear rollbar bushings worn- may be easy but what are the chances of the old bushings just coming out easily and not having to torch them out?

Assuming you mean the bushes holding them to the Axle, then they never need torching out. They unbolt really easy.

If you mean the drop links; then at the most you would use an angle grinder to cut them off.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do all that myself and have done nearly all apart from welding, i one useless mechanically inept lazy dullard so if I can you can.
Or if you get the parts a mobile mechanic who can weld too may take it on for a lot less than the garages blugger off price.
My rule of thumb is if the engine and chassis is good then it is worth keeping as a lot of first posts start on here with......I just
bought a Delica and have a few problems....
Bazza

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
kit352

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new quote of around a grand to do the welding and brakes and some other small stuff.  I am looking into doing the bushings and stuff myself now.  I think I will be okay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: