4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

No Brakes - Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EL300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 16:45    Post subject: No Brakes - Newbie Reply with quote

Hi All

Sooo  No Brakes  on my L300/ 1991

bought with the brakes not working have not had a real chance to look over them.

First port of call was to top up the fluid which was low,

Filled it and it went down, filled again and it went down filled again and it went down and no brake pressure still, can't seem to see any leaks and theres nothing pouring all over the floor.

So not sure where to start I'd like to get some pressure in them without taking loads of things apart however if that's the route I must take I'm up for it just seeing if there's a really simple issue.

It was standing for five years prior and as far as I know everything is complete.

When I push the brake a red light would show up but just hits the floor no pressure built up at all.

This is my first L300 and 4x4  

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 16:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Deker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL300. You say -
Filled it and it went down, filled again and it went down filled again and it went down and no brake pressure still, can't seem to see any leaks and theres nothing pouring all over the floor.

Does that mean the fluid is going down, by what quantity  Question  - Or the pedal "went down" as in, no pressure  Question  Or both  Question

I'm somewhat confuddled, if fluid goes in, it has to go somewhere - First, the pipes & cylinders need to be filled - But, they should have some fluid in them  Confused

Mr D
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check behind the steering column and under the carpet. If the master is leaking it may just be going somewhere you can't see

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently replaced the refurbished master cylinder on mine with a brand new one, due to loss of brake fluid down the steering column and into the carpet. It was only when I removed the speedo binnacle that I found the culprit was merely one of the reservoir to M/C pipes leaking at the M/C end, the OEM spring clips no longer able to provide enough clamping pressure to form a seal. Replaced with a jubilee clip, and problem solved. I still have the refurbed, not-guilty M/C.
EL300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses .

Any idea how much it would take to fill the whole system think i put about 500mls in.

And to be fair the carpet was a bit wet today when I checked it but theres is also a hole under the carpet to the outside world and a lot of other holes to the outside world.
The pedal goes down with no pressure in it maybe a bit if i push it faster but i don't think its holding any pressure and i agree i would imagine there would be some in the system already.

So first place to check would be master cylinder behind the steering column and behind the speedo to check for a leak, was planning on replacing a lot of the system but i just need them to work to move it as there s a lot of welding to do and would be good to be able to move it around safely and maybe get it to an mot centre to get the big list of things wrong that i Can't see!

Thanks for your responses guys very helpful also printed  the Brake system download that was placed here by Pink Pig very useful!
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

500ml must go somewhere. if it's rainy/wet where you are (it's been LOVELY in Cumbria!), slide some dry cardboard underneath it and see if its dripping. Brake fluid has a distinctive, slight smell, but different from oils and coolant, it also attracts moisture so accelerates corrosion (my steering column pretty much siezed up where the fluid had leaked). Try running your fingers along the underside of the dash and  pedal area. It's worth getting a replacement/new M/C anyway, they are readily available. If you want my refurbed one, PM me with your address. It's a DIY job, even if it's raining, you can do most of it from the driver's seat, especially if you have an assistant to do the nipple work at the wheels while bleeding. There are only three wheel nipples, the fourth is on the load compensation valve next to the fuel tank.
davep10000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very common for the M/C connection to the reservoir to leak as Andy found.
Very simple fix, although new rubber seals need to be got from Japan I think, but very cheap.
Dave
EL300

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
500ml must go somewhere. if it's rainy/wet where you are (it's been LOVELY in Cumbria!), slide some dry cardboard underneath it and see if its dripping. Brake fluid has a distinctive, slight smell, but different from oils and coolant, it also attracts moisture so accelerates corrosion (my steering column pretty much siezed up where the fluid had leaked). Try running your fingers along the underside of the dash and  pedal area. It's worth getting a replacement/new M/C anyway, they are readily available. If you want my refurbed one, PM me with your address. It's a DIY job, even if it's raining, you can do most of it from the driver's seat, especially if you have an assistant to do the nipple work at the wheels while bleeding. There are only three wheel nipples, the fourth is on the load compensation valve next to the fuel tank.

Cheers Andyman , I can't pm yet as not posted enough .

I think it  is the m/c that's leaking so going to start there . Will have to bleed the brakes to. I've got the service guide though not sure if it's a g sensing valve or load sensing  with mine how can you tell ??

Also are the back plates  for the brakes available anywhere or a is there a shared part with a pajero ? I've had look not found anything online . Mine are really corroded and think I'm gonna have to find replacements

Cheers
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if G sensing and load sensing aren't the same thing? As yours is a 1991, I suspect it will be the same as mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: