Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Timing that was what was wrong !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gypsy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 14:12    Post subject: Timing that was what was wrong ! Reply with quote

okay I think I can pick up my Deli from Mitsi in Penryn Cornwall.
To  say it has been a bumpy start would be a massive underestimation. I brought it from Algys Autos ( don't do it ) and had it completely serviced at their mechanics in Bristol, new Cam belt, other belts spark plugs and new fluid changes. I drove it back from Bristol to Cornwall and one more day and then it conked out completely.

Called out the AA, they had no clue, called out an auto electrician as it was turning over just wouldn't start.
Was told after a day of this guy working on it that it was most likely the ECU. Sourced a replacement ECU from the states for 200 quid, got the auto electrician back after six weeks and he had another day at it. Still no joy.  

So  sent it down to Mitsi Dealer as I am now desperate.
They got to the nitty as the Cam belt had slipped and so the timing was out.
So now they have reset the timing marks and have it started.

So what could I be looking at a FKTD engine, or as it starts then it's okay. It never went as soon as the belt slipped !

Also what come back on the original garage could I have, as I am pretty sure they did not tension the belt correctly, or have they even used the correct belt for a new one to slip.

I have had nearly seven weeks of this and having to borrow a car just to get about. Surely  there must have been an easy check other than thinking its an ECU that things were  amiss.

Any suggestions going forward ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 14:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyman

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should have some comeback on the original garage. Did they fit a new tensioner with the belt? did they tension it sufficiently/in the correct way? Slipping by a couple of teeth might be enough to ensure it didn't run, but not necessarily cause valve-piston interference (luckily). I once changed the timing belt on a Peugeot diesel, and got it one tooth out. It started, sounded really rough and had no power. When the Mitsy garage took it apart, did they find the tensioner bolt loose, or just the tensioner incorrectly tensioned. How many miles had it covered before it broke down? I recommend owners to check and adjust the timing belt tension if necessary within 2,000 miles of a belt change, sooner, depending on the driving conditions. If it went after a few hundred miles, something wasn't done right. Did the Mitsy garage fit a new belt? I'd be surprised if they didn't. Ordering a £200 part to check if the glow plug system is at fault does not sound like the work of a competent auto-electrician. You could establish that by listening for the relevant clicks and watching the display on a multimeter suitably connected while you turned on the ignition. Or by hot-wiring the bus bar directly from the battery, ideally with a switch, so you can disconnect easily after 5-10 seconds pre-heat, by which time, all else being correct, the engine would start. It is not rocket science, it is actually a relatively simple machine - which is part of why I love it.
andyman

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, I take it yours is a 2WD L400 with the 4D56 engine? The 2.8 L, 4M40 engine as fitted to the 4x4 has a cam chain.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that gypsy mentioned getting the spark plugs changed, they don't do a 2.8 petrol variant.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
andyman

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH!! Embarassed
gypsy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said this was a V6 petrol 2005 active field. Thanks for the sdvice.
I will go back to the original garage and ask for some money back, I don't think I can get the Auto Electrician to give me some money off as he was just doing his best, Nothing he did has to be re-done, its just it was a waste of time in the first place.
Here's his chain of thought before swapping out the ECU

Summary of findings.
1). vehcale turns over but dose not fire !

2). computor diagnostic performed on engine e.c.u = no faults recorded ?

3). engine e.c.u active live dater = crank senor active, throttel  senor active and responsive ,  fuel presure present.

4).diagnostic function test = powers up fuel pump in tank okay , cooling fans function correctly.  

5).coil ht lead removed and in line spark tested placed in line = pulsating strong spark = okay

6). either added to air intake and engine turned over on ignition key but fails to fire ?

7).suspected alarm system fitted , located and decommissioned and removed from vehcale all affected wiring made good / insulated  so wiring back to standard configuration.   ( the system was only an addisional audio alarm and central locking system ,Non immobilising ).

8). all fuses boards tested 2 x engine bay and 1 x driver side internal cabin with ignition on all tested okay for voltage with the exception of on internal fuse board , which may be only powered by lights on ?

9).all relays in engine bay fuse board area and 1 x bulk head along with internal fuse board mounted relays were all removed and tested okay for 12v switching and continuity switching. also two relays located on passenger side kick panel behind e.c.u all functioning correctly.

10)in tank fuel pump was then powered up remotely, ignition on engine turned  over but failed to fire ? smell of fuel in engine bay ?

conclution :- the in tank fuel pump which is powered by one of the relays located next to the engine e.c.u is not being energized possibley from and earth return from the engine e.c.u as the relay has a  2 x 12v feed’s and 1 x earth but the forth is dead ?????? which would require a switchable earth to simulate the relay  (neither earth or power present? on this feed when ignition is turned  on !
also it appears that the injectors are failing to inject ? (on one occasion whilst in the engine bay with the ignition live sounds were evident of the fuel injection system appeared to be clicking and humming as if it had swung to life but when i attempted to engage the engin it turned over but failed to fire and with the ignition still on the sound of the injection /fuel system fell silent again. unable to tell if the fuel pump relay / fuel pump was also active at the same time ???
as a result of these finding it may be possible that all systems apart from the fuel delivery / fuel relay /pump are not being energised by the engine ecu resulting in a failur of fuel delivery as we have full pulsating spark !

11). engine e.c.u removed and all pin connectors were tested all earths appeared present , several 12v volt feeds present on ignition on along with several low voltage readings , this was only a ruff test as no pin data available to do an exact reading .

12).e.c.u removed from its housing and visually inspected,  no hot spots ,components all appear to be in  good condition with no signs of corrosion or water ingression, all socket mail pins precent and clean.

suspected injection & fuel pump  failure may be due to possible engine ecu out put single loss ?

only out standing test to perform is  locate all earths / strip / clean/ reasemble & retest !
andyman

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I hadn't sussed it was a petrol model, - obviously more  complex electrics and electronics. Once upon a time, your engine would have popped and banged but run, albeit like a bag of hammers. I am surprised that the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors did not throw up a discrepancy on the diagnostics.
gypsy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its finialy got the all clear from Mitsi today. I can go and pick it up tomorrow. To say I can't wait will be an understatement. And Mitsi only charged me 300 quid to get it back running.

So far it was 1200 for the original garage to do the complete service that was faulty
800 in parts for the wrong diagnosis of the timing problem.
and 300 from Mitsi to put it all right !

If anyone is thinking of buying a Deli from Algys Autos, use me as the poster boy for not doing it. All these costs would have been taken up by the dealer if I had bought it from them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: