Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 Wheel Dimensions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 0:44    Post subject: L300 Wheel Dimensions Reply with quote

I've been on the lookout for new (used) wheels for my L300.

One thing I noticed was that very few folks advertising wheels on-line seem to include all the dimensions you need to make sure they'll fit. Offset (ET) in particular.

So, while I've been looking, I've also saved any info that I found along the way. The idea here is that when I find wheels I can afford and that aren't too far away, if they are advertised without the full dimensions, I might already have a record 'on file'. Kind of matching photos of rims to their dimensions.

My understanding - larger offset brings the rim nearer to the suspension components, smaller offset pokes the rim further towards the outside of the wheel arch. E.g. 6 inch rim with ET22 is 27 mm nearer the suspension that a 6 inch rim with ET -5. The ET -5 rim pokes 27 mm further towards the outside of the wheel arch than the ET22 rim. Please correct me if that's wrong.

Incidentally, on the L300, I get the impression that a 6 inch rim with anything more than about ET 30 is probably getting too close to the upper wishbone edge. ET25 will allow my (quite fat) finger between the rim/tyre and the wishbone. Not sure I'd want it much closer than that (what do others think?).

Here are a few I have gathered so far, in case they can help anyone else.  Feel free to add any more.

These two images go together (15x6 ET33)...

...as do these (15x6.5 ET25)...

(15x6.5 ET30)

These are 15x7 ET10,

...and they appear to fit an L300 quite nicely...

Also 15x7 ET10...

And some 16 inch rims (16x7 ET10)...

And some more (16x7 ET10) (there were 4 of these at this price, in nice condition - I just saw them too late Sad )

And these are (16x7 ET10) too (not normally painted black, but hopefully recognisable here...)

Okay, can anyone tell me what the size is for these steels? I think they might be 16 x 6.5. Can anyone confirm and know the offset? I love them and would like to get a set if they're suitable.

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 0:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mouseflakes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:39    Post subject: Re: Wheel Dimensions Reply with quote

Sorry folks - can't edit the original post, but this one was wrong...

mouseflakes wrote:

...as do these (15x6.5 ET25)...

That ^^ wheel style is actually 15x6 ET22

It's this wheel style that is 15x6.5 ET25...

andyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

My L300 has Toyota 15x7 ET-8 rims with 265/70/15 tyres. The front ones used to just to say rub on the bumps on the mudflaps at certain angles of lock. The tyre walls are flush with the bodywork, if not bulging slightly outside, but still legal, as the tread is within the bodywork.
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. That's another possible combo to add to the list.

While looking for wheels on-line I came across some 30x9.50x15 BFG A/Ts that had loads of wear left in them and were very cheap, so I bought them. I've previously been concerned that these might rub on an L300, but I tried them out today - full lock, forward and reverse, no issues (yet). They don't look as huge as I expected actually.

No worries on the 'poke' front...

The steel rims are what they came on. They're from a Ford Maverick. 15x6 ET25. A bit ugly and I had to grind a small amount from the centre hole to clear the hubs, but they suit the van quite well I think.

Things I've noticed from a short test drive today....

On the old 215/80R15s the van felt more lively (quite a lot less weight and effectively a lower final gearing). The Deli feels more sluggish now - it's harder to regain lost speed. I'm not sure it's travelling any faster at 'top speed' than it did on the smaller wheels. It slower to kick down (i.e. speed drops off more before it'll occur - or requires more of a jab on the accelerator to invoke it). I can adjust this of course, but might not get it as well matched as it was for the old tyre size. Another thing that hadn't occurred to me before, but is quite evident already - less effective engine braking (again, due to higher effective final gearing I guess). I've always liked the high level of engine braking from the L300, especially handy on the local passes, so it's a shame to have this drop off a bit.

So, overall, I'm not 100% sure how much of an improvement the bigger tyres are. They look funky and are a good tyre from what I've read. My old tyres were showing nasty cracking in the side walls and a bubble on one of the treads, so they had to go. But it's no a great surprise that the car seems to 'perform' best on the tyre size that Mitsubishi had in mind when they put the drive train together.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fantastic!!  :D  thumbright  thumbright  thumbright
Thanks v much for this. I've been trawling the interwebs in a very similar fashion.
Have been coveting a second set of wheels (with smaller offset - i.e. further "out") for mine, too.
I too have been annoyed by the fact that it is really hard to get info on the offset for different wheels, particularly more unusual ones.
Most sellers don't seem to know what it is!
So this is very useful, and I may just start adding to this thread as I find things...!
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
My L300 has Toyota 15x7 ET-8 rims with 265/70/15 tyres. The front ones used to just to say rub on the bumps on the mudflaps at certain angles of lock. The tyre walls are flush with the bodywork, if not bulging slightly outside, but still legal, as the tread is within the bodywork.

Andy, am I right in thinking that yours are these?

If so, ET-8 then.
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly those, Jeroen!
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Fronts now fitted with 235/75/15s after splitting 2 of the 265/70/15s on a rather jagged trail last year. These don't rub at all, but still look wider than Tim's, - I suppose due to the negative offset.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy that's useful to know.

If anyone here has suggestions (photos?) for alternative rims with a similar offset, I for one would certainly welcome them!
mouseflakes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jeroen, I'm glad they're useful to someone.

Here, have another...15x7 ET10

mouseflakes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look like 15x7 ET5...

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:54    Post subject: Re: L300 Wheel Dimensions Reply with quote

mouseflakes wrote:

Incidentally, on the L300, I get the impression that a 6 inch rim with anything more than about ET 30 is probably getting too close to the upper wishbone edge. ET25 will allow my (quite fat) finger between the rim/tyre and the wishbone. Not sure I'd want it much closer than that (what do others think?).

I found that if you wind up the torsion bars to get a bit of lift the end of the upper wishbone moves out so if you have slightly wider tyres (eg 235/75x15) on the stock 15x6ET22 rims the inside of the tyre will slightly rub on the end of the wishbone, which is an MOT advisory.
Can be fixed with a 5mm spacer, but not ideal.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever run 15x8J with a -8 offset on an L300? If so, any issues?
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, that would make them project around 12mm inboard and outboard of my rims. I currently have approx. 25mm between my wheels and the upper wishbone. Tyres bigger than 265/70 would still be an issue.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Andy. Turns out the seller in question had confused rim width and offset, so they are exactly the same as your wheels! Smile
(which I thought they were, I was a little puzzled by the width given, given the photos on the ad).

It's still a pretty good deal though... just a shame they are pretty much on the south coast, delivery up here would double the cost!
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely there are good sets of wheels at a reasonable price closer than that?
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be, I hope... I think I'll have to have some patience, though, as the best price for the same set I've seen nearby are nearly four times the price of this offer...
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

jejoenje wrote:
Thanks for that Andy. Turns out the seller in question had confused rim width and offset, so they are exactly the same as your wheels! Smile
(which I thought they were, I was a little puzzled by the width given, given the photos on the ad).

It's still a pretty good deal though... just a shame they are pretty much on the south cost, delivery up here would double the cost!

I could fetch them for you and store them until one of us can work out how to transport them ?

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh... that's a very kind offer! Thank you!
When I said "south coast" I kind of meant "south-ish" (as far as I'm concerned anything south of Leeds is pretty much the tropics!  Laughing ) - they are in Andover, so it would still be a little bit of a way for you...?
Deker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

jejoenje

If those wheels can be transported from Andover to Hertfordshire,
I could bring them to the Coniston meet for you.

Mr D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: