Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Mechanical security lock suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kit352

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:40    Post subject: Mechanical security lock suggestions Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a quick fitting non permanent security lock we can put on our Van's.  Stuff that allows you to put a padlock on the doors like on commercial transit Van's.  I haven't seen any practical way of adding them to the Deli without cutting and grinding.  I am hoping someone has a slick little system they are willing to share.  We will be travelling all over Europe in April and I want to make sure the Deli is secure while parked up in remote areas.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

annek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the padlock style ones seem to have easily accessible screw/weld points.

But saw this where everything is encased, seems perfect for the sliding door

this at Van Toys

Did you already have an alarm/immobiliser?  I'm trying to find out what people are recommending at the moment but it seems quite quiet on this board?
Good luck with your adventure!
Deker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

kit352
Not much point with padlocking the doors - Glass breaks too easily  Sad

I use a device called Autolock, designed on a manual gearshift to lock Handbrake to Gear lever - -
On an Auto Deli, with a slight modification = a bit of grinding to give a bit of extra bend.

I put the clasp on the Steering Wheel, using full Left Lock, and the Tube slides over the gear shift.

It's virtually impossible to turn the wheel to the right, and get the gear shift out of Park.

Add to that, the device is Bright Yellow, can be easily seen, as to what it does to prevent scum,
trying to relieve owner, of their hard earned and probably costly maintained vehicle.

Photo can be sent via email.

Mr D
kit352

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

annek wrote:
Most of the padlock style ones seem to have easily accessible screw/weld points.

But saw this where everything is encased, seems perfect for the sliding door

this at Van Toys

Did you already have an alarm/immobiliser?  I'm trying to find out what people are recommending at the moment but it seems quite quiet on this board?
Good luck with your adventure!

I keep seeing those types of locks but I'm loath to drill into anything.  I  going to look and see if i can adapt something to be strong yet non permenant.

I am working on getting an alarm in but haven't found much yet.  I'm not after anything crazy, just something simple and effective.
kit352

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deker wrote:
kit352
Not much point with padlocking the doors - Glass breaks too easily  Sad

I use a device called Autolock, designed on a manual gearshift to lock Handbrake to Gear lever - -
On an Auto Deli, with a slight modification = a bit of grinding to give a bit of extra bend.

I put the clasp on the Steering Wheel, using full Left Lock, and the Tube slides over the gear shift.

It's virtually impossible to turn the wheel to the right, and get the gear shift out of Park.

Add to that, the device is Bright Yellow, can be easily seen, as to what it does to prevent scum,
trying to relieve owner, of their hard earned and probably costly maintained vehicle.

Photo can be sent via email.

Mr D

I am more concerned about the contents of the Deli rather than the Deli itself although if they take the whole thing then I've really lost out.  I am going to look into those club type locks.  I am getting more and more paranoid about security while i traveling. i wish i could find a set of oem curtains to at least hide things a little bit but everyone wants crazy money for them.
annek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvious dashcam, and stickers showing CCTV on board might be a good deterrent too.

Let me know how the alarm search goes, I am trying to find something thatcham rated.

Maybe something like those WiFi door bells that show you who's there via a mobile app on your phone, but triggered by motion instead so you could always see Deli is okay?
jaspa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your layout, Maybe have a look at ex-military ammo crates. They are relatively cheap, could be bolted though the floor and easily locked with a padlock.

Stuart
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wasting time and money looking for door or window locks, as there is nothing to prevent them getting access if they really want it.  Evil or Very Mad

All you can do is ensure that there is a really loud alarm, with a movement sensor inside the van, which will also detect air movement when a window goes through. That will hopefully draw attention and make the scumbag run for it, rather than be caught.

Then ensure that valuable items and documents, cash, etc is put away in a place that takes time to access, so they don't have enough time to grab it before they are spotted.

Don't fall under the impression that curtains will help with security, either. As you can see from the photo below the glass is tinted and there were thermal blinds and a curtain at the other side.

A vehicle with foreign number plates on is easily spotted and watched for a while before they go for it.

I've even been woken up by someone knocking, to see if there is anyone in.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
annek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Lewis, that's shocking!  Very sad to see a Deli looking this way Sad

Yes, I'm all for the loud alarm!  Mine messed up the other day and the noise of the horn on continuously brought many neighbours outdoors!!  It really works and there's no substitute for it, hence insurers discount their rates for good ones.

Warning stickers can be a deterrent also, so at least prospective thief (scumbag) will be aware and perhaps decide to move on instead of risk it (along with obvious cameras)
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

A camera is not a deterrent, as any scumbag getting into the van will take the camera with them.

For a simple inexpensive visual deterrent install a small red flashing LED, in the cab area, which switches on when the ignition is off. That may make them think an alarm is fitted, so they go elsewhere.  Wink

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of my adapted Autolock.

From the inside.

Thro the windscreen. Pic is hazy, due to sunlight caused the glare.

As can be seen, should be a good deterrent.
As said above, steering is on full Left lock. Therefore the gear shift cannot be pulled out of Park

Mr D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE / Sat-Nav / Alarms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: