Yellow diamond : click here

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

The sunroof conundrum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kit352

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 23:56    Post subject: The sunroof conundrum Reply with quote

So my Delica came with one warning and that was to never touch the sunroof.  Apparently it didn't close well and hasn't been touched in over 8 years.  Thing is i really, really want it to open or at least have a good look into it.  As it stands now it doesn't leak.
I am planning on pulling the motor and leaving the housing as is for now.  I want check the motor over and make sure its functional before i try to use it to open the roof.  Now before i do that i have a couple questions that i didn't see in any of the sunroof repair threads-

Does the manual tool always work?  Will i be able to use it to shut the roof tightly again if the motor fails or something else goes wrong?
Can i use the tool to go through its range of motion completely before powering it up or it it just design to get the unit closed?
If i do use the tool is there a certain feel to it that may alert me to potential problems like is it an easy smooth opening action or is it rougher and harder to open and close using the tool?

Can the unit be lubricated somehow in the closed position to help it on its way to working glory?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 23:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tool overrides the electrical controls, in both directions.

When you can't turn the tool any further then the sunroof is either fully closed or fully open.

Use both hands, on the tool, to keep it steady and in the socket.

HTH

NB: Removal of motor =

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily drop the motor out and test it works using the open/shut switches. If the cog has worn down, even the manual winding won't move the sunroof as it still jumps on the ridged cables that pull the glass back and forth.

Rich
kit352

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

So theres no harm in just pulling the motor down and testing then.   Maybe just playing with that will pay off.

I know its foolish to be messing about with the roof but i really would like it to be useable.  With no ac it would a major bonus if it opens.
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sunroof is currently closed and weather proof, you can remove the motor and mounts without interfering with it if you want to check the motor/cog etc. It won't go anywhere as the cable mechanism that holds it in place it pretty hard to move.
The motor mount pushes a small cog (on the motor) between 2 ridged cables attached to the sunroof mechanism. If the mount is loose (easily done as it's cast from a rubbish alloy) then you get the machine gun noise as the cog skips. The motor has a couple of plastic cams attached that power on/off for the correct position of the sunroof.

I milled mine out on the reverse to take a couple of Nyloc nuts to screw into, so the bolts can be very tight without stripping the alloy body of the mount.

Rich
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

kit352

I would not mess with that component till the weather gets warmer and drier -

Just in case the component develops a leak  Shocked  

Mr D
kit352

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, against all advice and common sense i went after the problem today.  Seems someone had been in there before me so the task was a little easier due to loose and missing bolts along with a few wire splices.
Anyway, first thing i come across are the bolts that hold the unit had backed out and the centre long one has stripped it nut so while it grabs it just spins when i try to put torque on it.  I dropped the assembly out pretty easily and had a go at the activating it.  The motor was spinnning but not the gears.  I manually turned the gears with an allen key and found it had a dead spot.  After messing about for a bit i decided it was too far gone to repair so i just pulled the motor off.  With it out i could see the inner plastic gear had worn away on one part so it was never gonna work.  Everything else seemed fine though so i left i motor off and remounted the remaining bit of the assembly.  Again, going against all judgement i tried opening it with the allen key and to my surprise it opened and closed easily. I lubed up the sliders the best i could and hand operated it a few times . It seems to be fine and closes tightly so i put the overhead light back in and knocked out the manual access port so i can get to it easier.  I am just going to run it as a manual while i keep a watch out for a super cheap motor assembly but as far as I'm concerned its fixed for now.  I just wanted it to open and close, i didn't care how.
On a nice side note taking everything apart and putting it back together with all of its missing screws have really tightened things up like the rear view mirror and the whole overhead lighting assembly.
CSMonkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alloy block the the motor/gears are mounted in is soft as anything and it's very easy to strip the thread on the 3 bolts that mount the 2 halves together.

It took a bit of fiddling but I was able to get the other half out as well, and mill a slot to take a Nyloc nut. Much better to screw the bolt into and could torque it up.

Rich
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip: carry a cordless drill with the correct size of allen bit fitted! (Manual winder is an allen key, isn't it?)
kit352

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need.  I grabbed a 5mm T handle from work today I'm going to use to open and close it.  It only takes a couple twists to get it to open partly. I haven't counted the revolutions to completely open it but it's probably about 40 or 50 which is done pretty quickly with the T handle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: