4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

aftermarket battery tray recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kit352

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 16:44    Post subject: aftermarket battery tray recommendations Reply with quote

My battery tray is beyond destroyed and i need a new one. Its cracked all over the place.  I haven't seen any pop up on ebay and I'm not sure if a pajero one fits.  Has anyone used a universal fit one for a single battery with good results?  Care to share a link?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 16:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the shape and low quantity of vehicles on the market, aftermarket versions are limited to either 2nd hand units, which invairiably are damaged, or getting a stailess one made.

However you can still buy original ones brand new from you local Mitsubishi parts department:-

MR105741 -         Battery Tray Double £76.08 (approx)
MR105671 -         Battery Tray single £37.88 (approx)

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
kit352

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great.  Thanks for that.  I may have to pop down to the dealership this weekend.
sl8ter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a double for sale  :D was going to use it my self but change of plan
kit352

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines a single.  I don't think I can use a double version easily.  I will look into it though.
kit352

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local mitsu dealer says they Can't order a new tray.  I pulled the old tray out and looked at the various aftermarket single units and none or them seemed right due to multiple heights our stock one has to deal with.  I have gone ahead and started repairing the old one using a combo of epoxy resin, zip ties to stitch it together while the epoxy sets and some diamon plate to spread the battery load better.  So far with just the epoxy on it its good enough to go back into the Deli.  I've grabbed and twisted it fairly hard and its rock solid.  The diamond plate tray I'm going to make tomorrow should really just add to the strength.

I did see some odd things while pulling the battery tray out which makes me think i had a dual battery setup originally.  The positive lead terminal has a second heavy guage lead thats maybe 2ft long going off it that ends in a taped battery lug.  It runs through the main corrugated covered harness so i think its oem.  The other power lead runs outside the harness and to the starter.  The ground cable runs near the headlight where a section is stripped back and bolted to the inner wing panel then runs along down the front of the battery tray then back towards the rear of the motor.  I Can't see where it goes but i assume its grounded to the chassis someplace.  The battery tray area also has several recently used holes closer the the fuel filter as well.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly sounds like it was a twin battery setup.

There are diagrams of the trays and looms on this electrical forum post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42084

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
kit352

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, pretty sure it was a dual battery and now its kind of screwing me.  Looks like the po moved the double negative cable to take up a lot of the slack and what remains is very short.  I am guessing they moved the middle ground lug part and bolted it to an existing item on the fender well and now the end lug isn't quite long enough to reach the battery terminal.  I am also thinking thats why by battery tray was smashed to hell.  Since the battery lug is so short the tray had to be broken to get the battery to lean enough so that it could be connected.  Not with a freshly repaired battery tray the battery doesn't fit. I got it in the end to check everything out but i am not happy with it.  The battery is at an odd angle and the lug barely reach.  I need it to be better.  If that cable was just a little longer it would be fine.  I just don't know what to do.  I could bring the middle lug back up to the battery and it would fit fine but then i have the end lug just floating around and thats no good.  If i could add a couple inches to the end lug wire length that would work as well.  I may bring it back to dual batteries just to get it sorted.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undo the bolted in lug and use some rubber hose and tape to insulate it, then use the end one on the battery terminal.

Alternatively you may find a suitable earth further up the bulkhead, that can be utilised, instead of using some hose.

HTH

ルイス
kit352

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up unbolting the lug from the fender well which i was loath to do.  It was a pain as it had a nut on the other side.  Wrapped up that lug and tucked the excess out of the way.  It works fine but i am bothered by the whole mess.  I will correct the entire thing one way or another in the future.

Thank you for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: