2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Belts Replacement

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NikTheGreek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 18:54    Post subject: Belts Replacement Reply with quote

Hi again.

I've got to replace alternator belts ( power steering belt is making some funny noise )
Is there a step by step guide on how to ?

Thank you in advance.

English is not my native language, so please feel free to correct any wrong spelling or syntax errors in my posts.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 18:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink Pig has uploaded the L300 workshop manuals here:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45972

pdf No 11 for the engine shows it on Page 11-31-5.

This link will open the pdf directly:-  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_VNtPLlw6UzQWs4RUJJRDh4bVk

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
NikTheGreek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lewis ..  Smile

I've seen this (actually in my case is in page 167 )  but since it's the first time I'll try to do this ,  I don't feel very comfortable.  Embarassed
I was hoping for a step by step guide with some pictures.

English is not my native language, so please feel free to correct any wrong spelling or syntax errors in my posts.
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to see, Nik, but the P/S pump has a slotted mounting hole to allow adjustment. With the alternator, you have to slacken the bolt through the top of the alternator parallel to the alternator shaft - it's a clamp bolt. The adjuster bolt is on the transverse axis, and needs to be slackened right off, so you can pull the alternator in and slacken the belts. If yours has a twin pulley, get belts from the same batch, and check they are the same length. In theory, if one is smaller and tighter, it takes most strain and stretches to match the slacker one. You will also need to slacken the bottom pivot bolt - one end is semi captive, so you only need a spanner for (I think) the front. Ideally, you need a skinny-armed, double jointed elf with small ratchet spanner to loosen the adjuster and top clamp bolts, and you need to go in from underneath. Good luck.
NikTheGreek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately Mitsos is  left handed so.
P/S pump, alternator and belts are placed under the passengers seat, giving me a view, with no obstacles .
Seems an easy task but I can't find the courage to proceed .

Anyway the how to guide could be made by me.
If and when I find the courage.  Wink

andyman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for courage, just determination. What could go wrong? Skinned knuckles, muck in your eye and cramp. That's in the small print on your purchase contract - it's an old Delica!
NikTheGreek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://i63.tinypic.com/989c3b.jpg

Following your advice andy and ...
today I was determined to replace the oil pump belt  ... after all , as you said ... what could go wrong I thought ....
Took my tools , the new belt and a few moments later I was under the passengers seat ..
What I discovered was .... totally unexpected  ... the lower bolt depicted as A it's welded on the bracket  Shocked !!!!!

http://i68.tinypic.com/29zdlbr.jpg

!!! HELP !!!
What can I do now ?

Question  Question  Question  Question  Question  Question  Question

NikTheGreek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to  ... MegaZip
the welded bolt is ...

MB243171
BOLT, P/S OIL PUMP
Flange , 8x105

Right ?

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

By welded I take it you mean the flat sides have rounded off, so you can't get a spanner on it ?

If so;  File two opposite side flat, then you can get an open ended spanner on it.

HTH

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
NikTheGreek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Lewis ...
I mean that nut is welded ( with stick welder ) to the bracket as one piece ...
which means that in order  to adjust the oil pump I got to cut the nut flat to the surface of the bracket
and then replace the destroyed  nut and possibly the bolt  with new ones .

The question is why the previus owner welded the adjustment nut to the bracket ?
maybe destroyed threads in the bolt ?

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the L300 parts that well, but is it a capive nut, i.e. One that has the bolt going into it from the far side ?

ルイス
NikTheGreek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Lewis ...  Embarassed
first time ever i've seen this so ..... i can't tell for sure. :?

Looking at L300 manual 37_Steering page 54 in lower left corner you can find this ....

http://i66.tinypic.com/s43lgk.jpg

as you can see the manual above (previus post) says that I have to loosen bolts A and B ...
does it means to loosen A from the back side of the pump ?   :?

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks more like a captive nut.

Take a look at the other side, to see if there is a bolt head. You may need to use an obstruction spanner to undo it.

HTH

ルイス
NikTheGreek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a closer look tomorrow ..

NikTheGreek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eureka !!!!  :D
Bolt can be loosen from the backside of oil pump !!!

http://i68.tinypic.com/20st4t3.jpg

But ... now I've got to find a way to remove the belt from the fan axle ...  Laughing

Visually inspected both belts and seems that they are in good condition .
I tighten a bit power steering belt and noise stoped for now .
I'll leave it this way for a while and if noise is stoped for good I won't replace the belts.

One small step for Nikos experience .. one biger step to Mitsos road stability .

To be continued ...   Wink

NikTheGreek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay.. now i'm totally dissapointed ..  :?

I took a ride , around 20 Km long and back home in order to be sure that there is no more noise from the P/S belt  ..
everything okay  ...
a few hours later , I started the car and the  oil pressure light is ON and it is not turning off ...
probably I accidentaly  created the problem .. but how ?

I'm searching the manual to spot where the oil pressure sensor is located with no luck ...  Embarassed

jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,
Yikes. Unlucky!
I may be leading you completely astray and someone will no doubt be able to correct me, but from memory the oil pressure switch sensor is just below the oil filter. I think it's a single connector and easily disturbed, so perhaps you just accidentaly knocked the wire or connector? Fingers crossed...
Are you losing oil?
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen is correct with position of oil pressure switch. Dunno why I didn't see this post yesterday. I suspect that a previous mechanic has stripped the thread in the pump casting, and found it easiest to simply weld a suitable nut on the front of the bracket, and insert the same bolt from the rear.
adam.peddar

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at Tojo's head replacement guide? Definitely has steps in there for loosening alternator tensioner et al...just google "tojo's head replacement guide" and should be more or less first result...think it's posted on motorang.somethingsomething...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nik, did you ever end up replacing the belts? I suppose the plastic fan can just come off the pulley, and then tension released from the alternator/ PAS pump side, to get enough slack to remove/fit belts?
I am considering doing this at some point - currently all is fine, but I will be going on a road trip soon and will be bringing a spare set of alternator/fan belts just in case.

(In case any one asks why not do it before going on the road trip - cut a long story short, I rather won't fix what currently isn't broken, for fear of REALLY breaking things!  Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: