Adrian Flux - 01553 845 945

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L400 eBay Fibreglass Wheel Arches

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Newbies questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayC1977

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 19:44    Post subject: L400 eBay Fibreglass Wheel Arches Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. I have a 1996 L400.

I have bought a set of wheel arches from eBay to help cover some new (2nd hand) wheels and tyres which when fitted will protrude out from the car bodywork. The arches are supposed to be a copy of the original Mitsubishi arch extensions. The guy selling these arches has 100% feedback and has sold many sets, however, they don't seem to fit my car at all, the radius of the fibreglass arches is totally different from the radius of the car's wheel arch.

I have the std short wheel base model.

I'm hoping that somebody on here has fitted a set of these and can offer some advice on how they got them to fit.

Thanks in advance..
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 19:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

sl8ter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have your tried each one on different wheel arch? I have a set for sale for £50 will need just a we bit of tlc .
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they for the older L300 Delica?
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
JayC1977

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very muchly for the replies:)

I have tried them around the car. They're not so far off that they are for a different model, just that if for instance the rear arch is pushed into place correctly at the front then the rear of the arch is in contact with the tyre. The front arches are worse still though...

I guess I'll have a better look at them this weekend if I can, and I'll try and figure out what I'm going to do. Thanks for the offer of a set sl8ter, but I spent about £150 on these so would like to try and get them to fit. If they simply won't go on I may get back in touch to see if you still have them though!

Cheers.
sl8ter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel arches are now sold. How are you getting on with yours ?
JayC1977

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know. I spent the weekend fitting my new cybox exhaust and doing a spot of welding on the chassis. I have now fitted the new wheels and tyres to see what they look like on the car, and tonight had another look at the arches. They are actually worse than I first thought. Iím gonna have to cut them up and glass them back together in approximately the right shape and then fill and sand them to a finish if I really want to fit them. They truly are an appalling layup. I suspect they were laid up in one quick hit and then pulled from the moulds too early and have deformed (I used to do a fair amount of fibreglass work). I donít know whether these are worth the effort but now Iíve spent so much on wheels and tyres that really do need flared arches to cover them, I donít think I have much option but to try and get them on...
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am fitting a set of fibreglass arches to my L400.

I can see exactly what you are saying, if you set the front arch to the correct position against the bumper then the rear of the arch should then be touching the base of the wing, but it doesn't, it clashes with the tyre. :?

And if you try it flush to the rear of the wing then it clashes with the tyre on the other end, as though it was made for a 13inch wheel. Shocked

The rears are not as bad, but they still don't fit without reshaping around both lower ends.

I got mine from a guy who bought them from Rabbitz2k, but when he saw the fitting issues he thought it easier to sell them on. Idea

I didn't pay too much for them so i am happy to chop away a considerable amount from the base of both front legs, and re-shape the rears.

Other than that they are okay. Laughing
sl8ter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

If seen some one on youtube fiting landie archers to an L400 .well I think it was youtube.
YOZA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does mention the fit in the advert........

ďArches are already basic trimmed to shape but may require slight finishing as being fitted

No fittings supplied.Ē

:o  Sad
YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to finish off this post I have fitted my arch extensions.

I had to chop the rears in half at the 12oíclock position, then open them out by 30mm and then fix and plate from the back to strengthen them.
I then filled in the gap at the front with fibreglass filler and finished with matching grey paint.
I also applied a rubber edge seal to the arch and a 5mm thick extension rubber strip to extend the arch even more to suit the wide track of my truck.

CHOP AND FILL

The fronts had to lose 150mm from the leading edge of the arch where the bumper meets the arch and there was a nice style line to flow the arch into. Again I finished with rubber edge seal and rubber extension.

I will do a full write-up when I get time. along with the extra work getting the arches to fit there were also a few nasty surprises that I had to overcome fitting these.

Last edited by YOZA on Sun Mar 10, 2019 13:01; edited 2 times in total
JayC1977

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody who has posted here!

Yoza, thanks for the pics and descriptions, you have some meaty wheels and tyres to cover there! I'm still going through the fitting process on mine, I've been at it a while now and will post some pics of the process I've used once I've finished in a week or two. I wanted to maintain the full arches, without losing the bottoms, and yet still have clearance for my new wheels and tyres (-15mm offset on the wheels) so I need the arches to fit closely to the body work all around and have wound up taking slices out of the arches all around and then sticking them back together.

As mentioned above I'll post photos and a description once I'm done:)

Cheers  :D
YOZA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worthwhile buying the bigger seal as it covers up to 25mm of gap between the arch and the bodywork.

You simply press it up until the gap has gone and it stays in place when you tighten up the arch fixings. Idea
DoriDorito

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want arches too, impossible to find don't even know how to search for them 0 results all the time  angry5
YOZA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been for sale on ebay for years, rabbitz2k has listed and sold hundreds of sets, and there is a set there now for £140.
jaspa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoriDorito wrote:
I want arches too, impossible to find don't even know how to search for them 0 results all the time †angry5

http://bfy.tw/MeYO  Smile  Smile

Stuart
DoriDorito

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen those by rabbitz2k, it is always a first link that comes up on a search. However they will not fit s2 only s1... rears maybe but fronts will not
Pierre
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Yoza!

Delica Super Exceed LWB
Sunbeam Tiger 289
Benelli 750 SEI
rekab6969

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 17:05    Post subject: rubber edge trim Reply with quote

Hi Yoza,

Can you let me know the size / profile of the inner rubber trim you used please..  looks nice and pliable too..  

Cheers,

db
YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:03    Post subject: Re: rubber edge trim Reply with quote

The price is per meter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Rubber-U-Channel-Edging-Trim-Seal-21mm-x-8mm-Fits-2mm-3mm-The-Metal-House/121796822559?epid=11017002533&hash=item1c5ba8061f:g:h~8AAOSwl9BWK~TP
rekab6969

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:55    Post subject: Thanks. Reply with quote

Thanks, I had looked on eBay too many to choose from.  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UKô Forum Index -> Newbies questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: