Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L400 cylinder head removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menteth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 15:18    Post subject: L400 cylinder head removal Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I have a lwb L400.
Suspected head gasket blown:
water shoots out of the radiator expansion tank (cap off) when engine is rev'd. .

3 questions please:

1. Is there a morons guide to changing cylinder head anywhere here?  (I'm not a mechanic, but am okay with spanners etc).  
2. If needed, can anyone suggest a decent cylinder head supplier?
3.  does anyone have access to the pictures on this site?

Many thanks all
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 15:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

YOZA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a step by step post called 'Pulling the Head off it' - I think the photos have been deleted by the photobucket cull.
YOZA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still here.

http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41716&highlight=pulling+head
AWG81

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine just recently. I bought a new head complete with all gaskets etc from Milner Off Road. Also replaced the thermostat and radiator at the same time. It's a fairly big project - I found these posts on the Pajero forum useful as well as YOZA's post: Pajero forum And also some information and links on here that helped: Pajero Forum. And also couldn't of done it without the workshop service manuals which there's a link to in the FAQ. I'm not a mechanic and did it slowly over the course of a week or so and am now back up and running after a few minor teething issues.
Good luck!

(Links Corrected. Admin)
Menteth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the posts and links.

I'm going to tackle the head removal today.  

I may well be back here to pick some brains.

Many thanks indeed to YOZA and AWG81.
YOZA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember there are different thicknesses of head gasket, I would suggest you buy an original 3 notch gasket.

The notches denote thickness.

It would be a good idea to change your timing chain and tensioner while you are into this job.

Let us know how it goes.
Menteth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 16:54    Post subject: cylinder head suppliers Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
So sorry to trawl this all back up.
I know that the cylinder head supplier discussion stirs deep emotions. Sorry (in advance), and I know there's lots of info out there.  I have read it all, and I must say, I'm in a real muddle now.  My skull has more or less imploded.

I stripped and removed my L400 head at the weekend (many thanks to yoza and others).  Head is scrap.

Fleabay has so many on offer.  Prices vary from 200-1200.
Heaven knows who the vendors are.  Most say that they're not cheap copies (which makes me immediately suspicious).
And the forums MDOCUK and MPOC are full of peoples horror stories about rubbish castings etc.  And lasting no time at all.

Is there a go to place that is a favourite for the Delica/pajero mob (like me)?  For cylinder heads?  

I Use milners for lots of stuff.  Their heads any good?

And: Has anyone tried the FAI heads? Sold by a company called everlex? A fully built head is about 580.

(There's lots of talk about AMC heads, though I can't find anyone who sells them).

I'd rather spend a little more and feel reassured, than drive around praying.  

Does this make sense?

Also, the posts relating to lots of stuff go way back, and I assume that suppliers, and quality (over time) will change.  Best current players (in the world of heads) please.

Can anyone shine a light for me?

Many thanks indeed to you all.
The MDOCUK forum is brilliant for non-mechanics like me.

Menteth
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me I would buy a complete head from a breaker with assurances that it was good when they took it off, or even have it pressure tested and if it fails take it back.

I like the idea of having a genuine head that will inspire confidence when re-fitted with a new OEM gasket, I have seen complete heads sold for £200 but the vendor is very unpopular on this site, yet he has never let me down.

I changed the valve stem oil seals on my head whilst it was in my workshop a nice cheap job, also de-coked every thing and lapped the valves in, very satifiying work.
Laurenceo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can be daunting for a novice.

My recommendation is to get some baggies or sandwich bags and sticky labels for your nuts and bolts etc, also if one bolt is longer or shorter than the rest wrap a label round it with ‘top’ or ‘top left’ or wherever it goes.

Watch a few different videos of head removal on YouTube, doesn’t have to be the same model, you’ll get an general understanding of thinks to keep in mind and certain techniques like head bolt tightening sequence etc.

Good luck!
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

And take pics of everything before you remove it, at every stage, so you know exactly how to put it back.
rekab6969

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 19:31    Post subject: In the same position head wise.. Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Just joined in with Delica ownership, N reg L400, crystal roof, electric curtains (not working) bought it with a blown head gasket, it's pretty solid underneath, couple of dents in the body & one rusty rear wheel arch..

So I feel it's worth spending time & money on, will do daily camping trips once done.

i pulled the head off today, whole engine is oily, and the expansion tank would pressurise so the head had to come off.

Found two of the head bolts had signs of combustion on their shafts..?

Which head to go for..?

Reading the replies in this post Yosa suggests a original head, would it be worth having my head pressure tested..?

Re head gasket mine has two notches, any difference with that and a 3 notch...  Availability..?

Couldn't fine any timing marks on the bottom crank pulley so guessed tic by cam lobes, these corsponed with 2x dots being horizontal to the casing face along with the notch in the cam pointing upwards..?

Thanks in advance,

db.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: