4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Gripe Moan Complain (leaky McLeakface)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 21:25    Post subject: Gripe Moan Complain (leaky McLeakface) Reply with quote

(Sorry I tried to find a "General whining" section but someone seems to have misplaced it)

ARGH!
After all of this fun about a year and a half ago,
I am still chasing bl**dy leaks! angryfire  angryfire  angryfire  Crying or Very sad
Kept finding the footwell carpet wet, took it out again, dried out, wet again.
Main patches seem just to the right and left of the steering wheel.
Given that I've just finished welding a new section of floor in (a small patch of rust inside the foot step was traced all the way up to
below the steering wheel, oh joy (anyway, gave me a nice excuse to buy myself a MIG welder, watch Youtube videos incessantly
and pretend I can weld).
Anyway, there still seems to be a seep coming from the front right corner (up and back from the fuse box).
I couldn't for the life of me work out where the other damp patch, to the left and below the steering wheel, came from - the outside
skin to the front of it seems dry, as well as the joint for the windscreen washer squirter.
(Yes, before you ask, I have sealed the front quarter panel joints.)

So, getting majorly fed up with all the damp, off I went tearing the dash apart yet again.
I've now gone so far as to actually removing the entire steering column, as well as the full metal "brace"
bar that runs below the dashboard. SO much more accessible.
Investigations now seem to suggest that perhaps my sealing of the outside of the front quarter panel wasn't as succesful as I hoped,
because some of the joints on the inside were a bit damp.
Out came the Squirty Black Goo of Doom (sold as Tigerseal).

Then I noticed that the bottom of the brake master cylinder seems a bit damp... OH NOES!  Shocked Leaking master cylinder??
Anyone had issues with this? My brakes seems to be fine, no fading or apparent loss of fluid or power.

Then I idly cast my eye up, and I notice that both the inside of the roof is VERY damp. And some serious drips along the inside of
the top windscreen rubber... right above BOTH of the wet patches on the floor. DOUBLE OH NOES!  Shocked  Shocked  Crying or Very sad

Is the roof leaking AGAIN? Up I go, and a quick check of the join of the new panel to the old, and oh yes... rust...

Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad

... And to think I was almost, almost, at a point where I had worked up the courage to do some painting of the outside of Selma...

More to come. Perhaps even some photos.

Although the shame... oh the shame... Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 21:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Fostlongstrider
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same with Mitsi FI and it turned out to be the roof corner top right of the windscreen being pervious and water running down the pillar and dripping on to my right leg.
When cut back there was a hole approx 4" across.
It is double skinned up there and I had to be a bit ingenious with some fibre glass after clearing the rust.
This cured the leak.

All the best from the East Riding of Yorkshire.
'93 L300 Super Exceed  Corse Gray over Grace Silver.Auto.

Flying Brick Supporter.
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this thread:
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45619

And this thread
http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49179&highlight=master+cylinder

But also check the reservoir hoses going into the top of the master cylinder aren't just loose - cable tie them down.

A never ending camper/restoration project
Project 1 - Pop-top camper conversion 2011-2015
Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we have a leak in the footwell of an L400 it's only one thing the ruddy matrix is leaking.
Bazza Crying or Very sad

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
Deker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclebazwold wrote:
If we have a leak in the footwell of an L400 it's only one thing the ruddy matrix is leaking.
Bazza Crying or Very sad

AND, the rubber wiring grommet that passes thro the right inner wing.

Easy fix - - -  simply  Rolling Eyes  remove Right wing, and seal the grommet  Smile  Been there, done that  Arrow

Mr D
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, for the pointers.

PinkPig, I'm no longer convinced it's really the master cylinder. Or at the very least, not just that! It sure does have a slow seep going on, but on further inspection I think the liquid on the floor below it is water, not brake fluid. Where or where it's coming from is beyond me, though.
Again there was a bit of water collected at the same two places described above, thats in 24 hours without rain (!), I suspect this is just been ice melting. Meant to take a photo this eve of where exactly but forgot, I'll try to remember tomorrow.
Again tried to "chase" the bit below the fuse box up, and I'm completely stumped: there's a drip hanging just on the underside of where the front outside skin curves inwards, but nothing further up (where i attempted to seal some joints yesterday evening) appears to be even damp... but theres no joints I can see further down....  Question  Question  Question  hmmm  :confused:

Fostlongstrider wrote:
I had the same with Mitsi FI and it turned out to be the roof corner top right of the windscreen being pervious and water running down the pillar and dripping on to my right leg.
When cut back there was a hole approx 4" across.

Perhaps... maybe water is making its way along that pillar and down - but as far as I can see, it would still than first collect on that little "shelf" area above/behind the fusebox I referred to above - which seems dry at the minute.
Again, as far as I can see, even water coming in through the joints behind that quarterpanel should pass over that area... hmmm

Like I said, I'll try taking some photos tomorrow.
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Jeroen, I can't help on the water leak except to say my driver's carpet dampness seems to have little relation to amount of rainfall, ie - torrential westerly downpour - slightly damp carpet. Minor steady drizzle (scotch mist) underfoot squelch and running windows. At least it seems like that, so I wonder if it's a directional thing to do with door/window seals, as well as the penetration of your roof repairs and possibly elsewhere. Regarding the master cylinder - if it is starting to leak, best to sort it out while you have the dash in bits. I bought a seal kit, and changed most of the seals in there - there were 2 I couldn't get off, but none of the originals looked much different to the new ones. I cleaned everything thoroughly, and reassembled it and it has been perfect for the 18months since. NB take pics as you take it apart so you can get the 2 pistons right way round. Also, be careful when you disconnect the reservoir, or the brake fluid in it drains into your dash. Mine had been leaking for a while, dripping down the steering column, causing rust which made it start to seize up, - very dangerous, as well as rust on the dash frame and floor where it dripped.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
I can't help on the water leak except to say my driver's carpet dampness seems to have little relation to amount of rainfall, ie - torrential westerly downpour - slightly damp carpet. Minor steady drizzle (scotch mist) underfoot squelch and running windows. At least it seems like that, so I wonder if it's a directional thing to do with door/window seals, as well as the penetration of your roof repairs and possibly elsewhere.

Hi Andy, and yes, good points, I'm beginning to think it's something to do with this, too... In the recent weather, the whole of the inside of the van has been pretty damp with condensation (in fact, there was some ice on the inside of the windscreen the other day!) so that can't be helping. I'm really not sure how to effectively rule out this from "real" leaks from the outside, though.

andyman wrote:
Regarding the master cylinder - if it is starting to leak, best to sort it out while you have the dash in bits.

Sad  Yeaaa. That's what I'm thinking now, too... I was really hoping to have it all back together soon though, because we were planning a winter trip "up norf"!  :?

andyman wrote:
I bought a seal kit, and changed most of the seals in there.

Where did you buy the kit from, Andy?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but do you have aircon installed, which may be dripping the condensation from the internal cooling unit onto the carpet ?

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently replaced my door seals with generic larger seals (19mm) which makes the door hard to close for a week, but keeps out some of the rain and wind noise.

Project 2 - Campervan the sequel - 2016 restoration, welding, respray, new interior, vertical pop...
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
Just a thought but do you have aircon installed, which may be dripping the condensation from the internal cooling unit onto the carpet ?

I don't Smile At least, it doesn't work and has never worked for as long as I've had it (the pump is dead, I'm pretty sure, nor is there any refridgerant in the system). I did check whether the infamous pipe below the dashboard was loose; it's still connected...

PinkPig wrote:
I recently replaced my door seals with generic larger seals (19mm) which makes the door hard to close for a week, but keeps out some of the rain and wind noise.

That's a thought... any chance you could point me to the ones you got?
PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay.
Item ID: 332437222653
Seller: sirusuk

I got 8 meters which did the passenger door and sliding door. I did the driver's side last year.

The seal that is factory fitted doesn't have rubber all the way around, but I put new one as far round as possible. You have to trim off the rubber bulb from the top of the door card trim downwards.
I'll grab a picture for you when I get the van back from the garage (nothing serious!, just front wishbone bushes).

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is worth a read on the USA site
http://~.com/index.php?threads/wet-front-carpets-footwell-leaks.713/

jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkPig wrote:
eBay.
Item ID: 332437222653
Seller: sirusuk

I got 8 meters which did the passenger door and sliding door. I did the driver's side last year.

Thank you sir! Smile I will get myself some of these, I think.

Thank you also for that link... I had seen that post and have now read it a few times. I think most of the points mentioned on there i don't have a specific issue with,
although I must say that the point about water coming down the inside of the A-pillar is confusing me... I've had a pretty close look now at where it joins the guttering,
and i really can't see where it would be leaking, in my case.

As an update, I've now gone so far as to get the offside quarter panel off again, removed all the sealant I put in a while back, and reapplied it.
I *thought* I'd done a better job and found some spots I may have missed previously (right under the windscreen seal, below that topmost demon screw that holds the
panel on). I've kept the panel off for the last few days, and somehow, somewhere, there is STILL water coming into that seal - the inside seal gets damp and water
keeps collecting on same spot on the floor... SIGH... sad7
jejoenje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add the above, actually - its not even been raining (or at least not to speak of) - again all of the water must be melting frost from the roof/windscreen...
This is what bothers me; if this is what happens with just a bit of melting frost, it can't be good in heavy rain!

Here's some pictures with the spot where water collects highlighted.
Note that the bottom one was after some heavier rain, and it looked like the water and moved further down - I don't think this came in through the door, is what I mean...

PinkPig
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the seal where the glass meets door?
A little far off that puddle though, but may be coming through bottom of door?

Have you got access to a jet wash or a decent power hose pipe and a friend that is keen to soak you?
Sprinkle flour over the floor area and see where it gets wet first.

PinkPig wrote:

I'll grab a picture for you when I get the van back from the garage (nothing serious!, just front wishbone bushes).

okay, more serious...but I will get pictures soon!

Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't see in the photos are any water marks showing where the water could be running down the walls.  :?

So I would be looking much lower down for leaks, such as it running down the outside of the door seals and then getting in at the bottom of them.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
grib

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem and after lots of investigation I found it was coming in a hair line crack between the corner of the gutters and the roof. I smeared some silicon in it and it as stopped that leek. It was the smallest crack and could only see it in the day with a very bright torch shining at it. But Now I have found water coming from another place so my mission for dry feet continue
grib

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

While looking for leaks I found another one. this is the bracket just behind where the cool box fits. it's the same on both side of the box both leak through this bracket. what I Can't see is how to seal it from outside I removed the bash plate and tried looking there but no luck. Any Ideas ?
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about drying it out with a hairdryer, then squeezing in as much mastic as you can?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: