4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

L300 engine conversions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p1ahoward

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 19:57    Post subject: L300 engine conversions? Reply with quote

hi everyone,just bought a L300 with a water pump problem(leaking for a long time)thought it would be best to remove the head and get it checked as well,rebuild it and have a lot of pressure in the cooling system,the head checked okay so I'm thinking the block is warped,i really Can't be bothered fixing this 4d56 engine so was thinking of putting something else in and i don't mean a 4m as they seem to have problems as well?so just thought id ask and see if anybody has manged to fit something else in one of these?i don't want to give up on it just yet!ps I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section??
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 19:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that -apparently- Hyundai are making what amounts to new 4D56T engines - their code is D4BF I think.
From various posts scattered across the other forums, it appears that these are basically almost a like for like replacement for the 4D56T:
http://Delica.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18559&hilit=hyundai

You'd have to import, of course, which may be too much of a hassle and it might be more than you are willing to shell out. (BUT OH SO SHINY!)

An alternative would be to try to find a scrapper from a slightly less broken L300?
p1ahoward

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

that just looks like a 4d56 but made by hynudai?meaning its probably got the same problems?i was thinking more like a landcrusier,nissan patrol,izuzu trooper engine?maybe even a old merc lump,surly somebody has fitted something else in one
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be because I'm pretty sure it is. Just Hyundai badged.

GIYF. http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/100137/engine-swap-suggestions-Delica?page=1
andyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 4D56T is inherently problematic, otherwise they wouldn't have continued to make it and fit it into several generations of L200s, as well as other vehicles. It has a similar reputation for cracking heads IF THE COOLING SYSTEM IS NOT WELL MAINTAINED that many grey imports have, including some Toyotas. I have never heard of a block warping, but a long term gasket leak may well require both head and block mating surfaces to be skimmed, and a thicker gasket fitted. I have often thought that a Merc 230K petrol engine would be a good reliable (and powerful) replacement for the L400's V6 petrol - but would be lethal in a 300. The Ford Transit 2.5 diesel has a good rep, but I don't know what it would take to fit one.
Deker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
The Ford Transit 2.5 diesel has a good rep, but I don't know what it would take to fit one.

If that engine is anything like the Ford 2.4 diesel, they are bl00dy noisy, and other problems.

The 2.4 fitted in my taxi, cost me a lot of time, frustration, and of course - money  Evil or Very Mad
which, as I'm retiring at the end of January 2019, would have been useful in "The Bank"

Mr D
mung is mercyless

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

holla.
I'm late to the party as always.
I have done a few conversions, all come with problems, in one way or another.
the most succesfull was a mitsubishi 3.8 cyclone engine code 6g7, had to dry sump it to get over the diff. downer was the fuel consumption and the auto box and diff ratio's had it leaping through the gears.
I eventually go used to driving it on tickover.
also thinking about it most of the other conversions had custom bell housings which were time consuming, like a perkins diesel onto the L300 box.
the worst was a nissan diesel, only because nissan just did not respond to questions, we usually got back no service parts are available or just no reply.
which is odd since nissan and mitsubishi are build partners on the d2 and d5.

also take a look at this
https://chinaautoweb.com/car-models/soueast-Delica/?pid=9176
soueast use the 4g64 mitsi engine

anything can be done if your willing to do lots of measuring and plannng.
andyman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger job though, is it not, going diesel to petrol, or vice -versa? You might find a decent, lowish mileage Bongo 2.5 diesel engine, might even be the same as the Transit, as Ford and Mazda are in partnership for so much, and I believe Mazda have also done  a L300 clone (saw one in Sri Lanka). Bongos rot even quicker than Delicas, and as many are camper pop-tops, may rot out at low milages, whereas your average Transit goes to the moon and back in the same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: