2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Removing rear bumper cover?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejoenje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 19:11    Post subject: Removing rear bumper cover? Reply with quote

Hi all
Has anyone here ever removed the rear plastic bumper cover (the bit that essentially has the "step" for the tail gate) from an L300?
I've got a bit of a case of tin worm in the metal underneath (visible from below) it that I would like to address...
The manual suggests that some of the "plugs" in the step have to be cut off, which seems annoying. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks.
Thank you!
Jeroen
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 19:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mr.b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeroen,

The plastic plugs can be removed carefully with either a couple of thin screwdrivers or long nose pliers, a lot
depends on how they line up with the holes in metalwork underneath.

To remove the whole thing you have to remove the two plastic corner pieces that are bolted from the inside
behind the flaps that hold the jack and rear window water bottle, then there are two bolts under the step facing to the rear
and then from underneath there are two long bolts that are threaded about 30mm and about 100mm long, you will then have
to undo the M6 bolts that go through the bottom of the plastic cover into the metalwork, this should then let you work the step
backwards,if my memory serves me right that will leave the middle of the metalwork fixed to the rear of the vehicle by 4 bolts.
The metalwork is in three pieces and the end bits have a sponge gasket where they form a seal between the step and the
body.

I think that is fairly accurate, hope it helps,
                                                  Cheers Chris & Chris.
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the caps fell out of mine long ago, as the metalwork which holds them in has long since disintegrated. It's strange that the rear section under the tailgate which this reinforcement box is connected to, is still so intact. Possibly even stranger that for the last X years, MoT testers have either not noticed, or don't give a stuff!
jejoenje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!  thumbright
Exactly the sort of insights I was after. I'll take some photos when I get the chance to attempt removal.
mr.b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Jeroen,

I forgot to say, the bolts holding the middle section to the body were really rusty on mine so I hammered
progressively smaller sockets onto the bolts until I'd made a new hexagon head on the bolts. When I replaced it I re-tapped
the holes and used stainless bolts with some copper grease to aid removal next time. If you want to remove the rear washer
bottle its located on a dovetail similar to the front one, you might have to give it good tug if its never been removed before,
and now a warning- try not to drop the nuts from the plastic corner pieces they seem to find places you can't get to.
                                       Good luck Chris & Chris
autotech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 22:15    Post subject: rear bumper Reply with quote

Any pictures of the rear area with the bumper plastic removed?
mr.b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:35    Post subject: rear bumper Reply with quote

Hi Autotech,

If you look in L300 faq section the first sticky is a downloadable pdf of the Mitsi
service manual, courtesy of Pink Pig, if you look in the exterior file it shows the 2 different
styles of rear bumper, pages 7 & 8.
           Sorry no photos, bit of a ludite when it comes to computers.

Hope this is of some help,
                                    Cheers Chris & Chris.
autotech

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 18:15    Post subject: rr Reply with quote

Thank You !
K
jejoenje

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually done this yet, but I do still intend to proceed at some point. When I do, I will take some photos (I suspect it won't be pretty underneath, mind!  Rolling Eyes
autotech

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:35    Post subject: under Reply with quote

Hey have been working on  some NEW tow hitches and  hoped to find some some metal back there but as it seems  its NOT.    We have built and sold 4 that work off the lower bash bar  holes  for bike racks etc.   Only  for light duty   Class 1 in USA   using the   (4) threaded  M10 .  I had another acct I couldn't log into so  yea its same guy porscheken back again.   Thanks  all  K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: