2Gether FS : 01945 585322

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Glow Plug Relays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevefhot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 17:04    Post subject: Glow Plug Relays Reply with quote

HI, hope someone can help. I have a 1991 L300 P35 4x4. I have been away for a few days. when i got back and went to start the van everything worked as it should except i did not hear the relays click on. then a few seconds later they usually click off but no clicks at all. the engine turns over fine it was okay. before i went away it would always start on the button, always has. Any ideas would be great, are there any fuses for the glow plug system. Thanks in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 17:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jejoenje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmh. So no relay clicks at all, but it still started okay?? Or do you mean it didn't start at all?
stevefhot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it would not start. everything else worked okay. it would turn over, but would not start. no clicks from the relays at all.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, that's odd that that happened from one day to the next, usually it's only one of the relays that gives up, so there should still be some clicking! This is if you actually have the "super quick" glow system, with the dual relays. The 12v glow system has only one, so I guess in that case if that one relay fails you might get the symptoms you have!

I would first try to jump the glow plugs with a jump lead briefly - if you feed them 12v for a few seconds (not more than 3 or 4) and then immediately try to start - that should tell you whether for some reason the problem is with the glow plugs (perhaps unlikely).

If not that, I'm not 100% sure if there are dedicated fuses for the relays themselves.
I would probably "bench" test the relays. Easy to do.
You can get to them via the hatch at the back of the drivers seat - it's easiest to remove the top plastic intake pipe that sits in the front of them (just one 10mm? bolt). Just disconnect each of the relays (make a note of which is which and which cables connect to them). Then you can unbolt them from the bulkhead. To test each in turn, put a wire (jump lead?) lead between the back plate of the relay (the bit that sits against the bulkhead) and a good ground. Then take another lead to 12v, and touch the central connector (the one facing you when attached to the bulkhead). It should give a satisfying click. Ideally, you want to combine that procedure with measuring continuity between the two other connectors as you energise the front connector - you should get continuity with 12v, but none without.
Some photos here.
stevefhot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thanks for the detailed reply. I have just jumped the glow plugs with a jump lead and the van started first go no problem. I can now get it down to my workshop and test the relays etc. Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, you might actually be able to check each of the relays without even taking them off the bulkhead or disconnecting them. Just take a jump wire and touch the front terminal (the one with the white clip on in my photo). That should activate the relay (click) as well as send voltage to the bus bar for the plugs. You can check that with a multimeter.
Good luck!
stevefhot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken both relays off and going to test them tomorrow. In the mean time i have rigged up a by pass system which seems to work just got to find out what size fuse to use as it blows a 20amp. It is using a push switch that i hold down for 3 seconds just wondering if this is okay. It is wired from the positive on the battery through a fuse and push switch then to the busbar.
jejoenje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no electrician but i would be very very careful with that- it would need to be quite a hefty switch (and cable) to handle the sort of current that the plugs would draw direct from the battery...
There's quite a bit of chat on bypass switches like this both on here and the Canadian forum, but most folk seem to use at least one of the relays to switch the main current, so the switch itself just energised the relay.

Other thing to bear in mind is that if you do have the two relay setup (the Super  Quick) system, the idea is you get several stages of glow plug heating, at 12v and 6v, controlled by an ECU based on the Water temp sensor... using a manual switch alone you can't replicate that, so i t might be difficult to start without rapidly wearing out your glow plugs.

Given that it sounds like you went from relays clicking to no clicks at all, I suspect it is more likely your problem is with the ECU or the Water temp sensor, or associated wiring.
stevefhot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i was thinking that it was a to easy remedy as i am finding out on the Delicas not much is easy. I have VW Type 2 campers and they are so easy to maintain. I will investigate more.
stevefhot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE. Spent the morning checking out all the glow plug circuit parts cleaning and checking, they all checked out okay when i put it all back together the glow plug circuit worked as it should so all is back to normal now. I made up a glow plug circuit by-pass which work very well for 5 days, i have disconnected it but left it there just in case the OE one breaks down again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L300 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: