Diamond Auto Parts - discount Mitsubishi parts

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Night heater

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdavey2002
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 23:33    Post subject: Chinese night heater Reply with quote

I have just fitted a 5KW one bought on Ebay for under £120:

Just stuck it in the back for now and used a smaller fuel tank as I struggled to find somewhere to put the 10l one that it came with.

It also came with a remote so I plan to mount the controller on a plate above the missing ashtray in the back and use the remote to switch it on and off from the front if necessary.

Still to fit the exhaust silencer but for now I think I should have put in a 2KW model as it is very noisy.

Plenty of heat though and a fraction of the cost of the Webasto or Eberspacher offerings.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 23:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks the dogs, I've been thinking about fitting it between the outer side and inner trim using the inner gap to get the air intake in case of wading

It's A Shame That Stupidity Isn't Painful..

One dent at a time...
jdavey2002
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 14:08    Post subject: Wading Reply with quote

Cheers buzr6mille, I don't do any serious off roading so hopefully will never be in any water deeper than the axles. I lifted the heater in a frame inside so even if I wade up to the floor level as long as the heater isn't running it shouldn't take in any water. I also means I can stack things around it a bit and still get airflow through. I read the air intake for the burner needs to be external as if the exhaust gets blocked or there is strong wind it can blow back some combustion fumes - not recommended lol. Also it is more efficient not to draw any of the internal heated air through the burner.
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed maybe I should read the instructions before I decide where to put it  Rolling Eyes

Is the exhaust pipe okay so close to the carpet, I'm a little worried it getting to hot

One dent at a time...
jdavey2002
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 21:13    Post subject: Carpet Reply with quote

If your instructions are anything like mine they may not help much lol Youtube is good. I cut the hole in the carpet about 2 cm bigger than the exhaust and filled the gap with silicon to prevent it touching the carpet or rubbing against the metal of the floor. Seems okay so far but I'll be keeping an eye on it as the exhaust gets really hot. Can't see it in the pic unfortunately as the black inlet pipe is in the way, I'll try to get some more shots tomorrow.
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbright brilliant ta

One dent at a time...
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good info, and maybe I'm over worrying,  but what are the rules on internal fuel tank?

I had a Webasto fitted in my engine bay on Deli number 1, which had small fuel bottle in engine bay also.

The exhaust and whole unit got incredibly hot,  enough to damage anything close by.

I'm not familiar with this sort of heater but I reckon it's asking for trouble with carpet, silicone etc, anywhere near that exhaust.?  But then again, it's designed to be used inside?

Sorry if I'm being boring. Embarassed
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not boring, all good points, fuel should be okay inside as its derv not petrol, they look the same unit as in commercial trucks, you can tap into the original fuel tank I  believe and the heat did concern me, that's why it's not fitted yet

One dent at a time...
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got a couple of questions in the internal fuel tank.

1. Is it vented, so no vacuum forms in it.
2. Is it removable, so you don't spill diesel on the carpets when filling it.
3. Is there any diesel smell in the van.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdavey2002 wrote:
I have just fitted a 5KW one.....

I've got a couple of questions about the internal fuel tank.

1. Is it vented, so no vacuum forms in it.
2. Is it removable, so you don't spill diesel on the carpets when filling it.
3. Is there any diesel smell in the van.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
jdavey2002
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:27    Post subject: Heater exhaust and fuel Reply with quote

The carpet did worry me but seems fine, I've had it running for a couple of hours so far. I used a medium temperature black silicon (what I had), should be good for 600 deg c and the exhaust should be well below 200 deg c where it exits. If you are really concerned there are high temperature silicones available - good for up to 1200 deg c and the max temperature of the exhaust at the unit is just over 400 deg c.

The unit came with a silicone gasket for mounting to the floor if you do go down that route. I'd use that as a template to cut out a small section of carpet where you plan to site the heater. This would mean the exhaust is well away from carpet and no need to seal anything else.

Fuel is no different than carrying a spare can which you tend to just leave bouncing about so unless it was petrol I can't see any risk - fairly sure there is a legal limit (maybe 5l) for petrol. The heater came with a 10l tank made of strong moulded plastic with a good tight screw lid and three mounting points. I haven't figured out where to fit this yet so have converted an old washer bottle. Again hard moulded plastic with a tight lid with tiny hole drilled to let air in to replace the used fuel. Seems to be a bit over 3l and that should run the heater for about 12 hours at high temperature and longer in most conditions - this may never get changed lol

If you plan to run the heater on diesel best just to tee into the vehicle fuel line. I'm running my heater on Kerosene (standard home heating oil grade) - this is the cheapest fuel I can get and is the best for any of these type of heaters as it doesn't coke them up. Apparently they can run for years without servicing on Kero, win win as far as I'm concerned.
jdavey2002
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:34    Post subject: Vent and spills Reply with quote

The lid is the vent. Just a tiny pin sized hole in the middle as the unit uses very little fuel. No noticeable smell in normal conditions but potential for slight evaporation if hot.
Unfortunately not removable as plumbed to the heater and attached to the vehicle for safety. I just use a 1l transfer bottle and a small funnel.
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 13:26    Post subject: Re: Heater exhaust and fuel Reply with quote

jdavey2002 wrote:
fairly sure there is a legal limit (maybe 5l) for petrol.

There are umpteen website giving conflicting info, but the best to use is the Government and also the HSE's.

Basically you can only carry 10 litres in a plastic container and 20 Litres in a metal one. Provided they are approved by the UN and marked accordingly:- http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/portabable-petrol-storage-containers.pdf
It is illegal to carry more than 10 Litres of petrol in a single container.  You can store 30 Litres of fuel at home or on none work related premises. If over that you must notify your local Petroluem Enforcement Authority You can get a licence to store more.

You can download a pdf on carrying fuel in vehicles with this link:- https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/527033/dangerous-goods-guidance-note-23.pdf

If you want to tow a bowser (up to 3000 Litres):- http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/manual/commonproblems/bowsers.htm

ルイス
jdavey2002
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 15:13    Post subject: Exhaust pics Reply with quote

Well done Lewis, looks like the Chinese have done their homework and are sending 10l plastic fuel tanks as the largest allowed in the UK. Must look around it for the fake CE stamp :-)

Inside exhaust picture:

From below:

Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my concern was more about the filling of fuel in a tank inside a vehicle, which i read somewhere, who knows, and then forget,,  Embarassed

The 10 litre limit seems to ring a bell though.

Whatever - nice pictures and well appreciated that you shared.  Smile

Keep warm and toasty
andyman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered a 2kw heater. Due to arrive around Jan.10th, then I'll start planning my movable 'cassette' design. Could make a useful garage heater when not camping. A 2L milk bottle might serve as a kero tank, although the standard 5L may be small enough.
jdavey2002
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 14:37    Post subject: Portable heater Reply with quote

Sounds good, look forward to seeing that. What are you planning to use as an exhaust? That corrugated stainless stuff is about £15 a meter so I wouldn't want to be running that too far...
andyman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping the length of exhaust they send with it will be long enough. It may have to all sit on the front passenger seat.
buzr6mille
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only about 24" long

One dent at a time...
unclebazwold
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used to keep warm by farting in ya sleeping bag.
Bazza Wink

Mine is black and silver it is the best colour.
Just remember when you read my replies i know nuffin..............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General Non-technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: