Adrian Flux - 0800 916 1257

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

Timing chain

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeaninNZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:44    Post subject: Timing chain Reply with quote

After visiting and phoning around many Mitsibishi dealers on the subject of timing chains the results have turned out to be clear.
It seems the L400/Pajero and L200, 4M40 motors suffered from timing chain problems on models built in 1994, it turns out that revised timing chains and guides were released to overcome initial issues with the chain strectching and wearing the guides causing a chuffing noise.
It seems many of us with 94's who presumably didn't get the mod have experienced this issue and several have succesfully resolved it.

When purchasing a 1994 4M40 please bare this in mind.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Michaelr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

But mine is a '95 which was chuffing pretty well at 64,000 km. Fixed under warranty though.
FirebirdUK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the chuffing noise seem to come from the middle area of the engine? And only sometimes?

We've got a chuffing noise - it's only there sometimes (must be about 2 chuffs a second when it is going)?

Would that be covered under a second hand car warranty? If not, how much am I looking at? Is it something that any local garage should be able to do?

I put the noise down to the worn discs on the front (but like I've mentioned elsewhere - I'm not that technical) Smile
chiefie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michaelr wrote:
But mine is a '95 which was chuffing pretty well at 64,000 km. Fixed under warranty though.

but is that date of reg. or date of manufacture? its incidental anyway coz yours is now fixed Wink
rutz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirebirdUK wrote:
Would the chuffing noise seem to come from the middle area of the engine? And only sometimes?

We've got a chuffing noise - it's only there sometimes (must be about 2 chuffs a second when it is going)?

Would that be covered under a second hand car warranty? If not, how much am I looking at? Is it something that any local garage should be able to do?

I put the noise down to the worn discs on the front (but like I've mentioned elsewhere - I'm not that technical) Smile

Sounds like when a speedo cable is about to wear out and seems to come from the front of the dash,gets noisier under load.
Diamond Geezer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the 94 model Delicas imported into the UK will have had the timing chain fixed as they have done on average around 120,000 klms, if they start chuffing around 60,000klms they would be well chuffed, I mean knackard.
Well worth checking though.

Cheers
Ian
chiefie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

rutz wrote:

Sounds like when a speedo cable is about to wear out and seems to come from the front of the dash,gets noisier under load.

L400's have electronic speedo's so don't have cable drive
Diamond Geezer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have downloaded the user manual from the Australian site and noticed it recommended changing the timing chain at 100,000 klms.

Cheers
Ian
Michaelr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond Geezer wrote:
...recommended changing the timing chain at 100,000 klms.

Total rubbish! (IMHO) Only change the chain if it is worn. Having said that, mine needed changing before 100,000km, but it must have been faulty.

Watch out for the famous "chuff chuff" noise!
Diamond Geezer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Australian owners manual is rubbish is it ?

Cheers
Ian
FirebirdUK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the chuff chuff noise. The Delica has done 106km.

The garage we bought it from said the timing chain was okay (wouldn't expect anything else really though would you) - "they last for hundreds of thousands of miles"....

We took the car back with the noise three days after picking it up (told him we suspected the timing chain), but he said it was likely to be some rod that sezed up on the turbo. When we picked it up, it was better, but the chuffing was still there (albeit quiter than before) and only doing about 80mph uphill... Previously it would chuff at about 50mph on the straight...

The car is still under warranty for another 2.5 months - do you reckon this is this something I can get done under warranty or something I should just sort out myself? (Bearing in mind I'll be heading off to France in it next weekend, so will be putting a few miles on it)
DeaninNZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definetly try and get it done under warranty if you can, its a big expensive job otherwise, they will try and deny thats what it is but if you have a 94 thats sounds like Ivor the steam engine under pressure I'd make a pretty confident guess thats it also has the problem.
As for K's don't forget that most of these vehicles have spent their lives in congested cities and are generally poorly serviced, so the clock isn't a clear view on how much the engine has done and imagine the stop starts they've done, ouch.
chiefie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond Geezer wrote:

as far as i can find, there is no recomended replacement interval for the 4m40 engine, deffo not on service schedule :?
FirebirdUK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it mention 100km for a change of the timing chain in the Aus manual too...
Michaelr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond Geezer wrote:

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) the "Aus Manual" is not a load of rubbish, but a very useful compilation. It has gone through several editions and is constantly improving. As Dr. Pons notes, it is a "work in progress".

However, the "Aus Manual" is not a Mitsubishi publication, just a collection of accumulated "wisdom" from Delica Club members and other sources. Any information found on this or any other web site should be verified by the reader. That includes my posts too! Laughing

As other posts have mentioned there is no Mitsubishi recommendations re. timing CHAIN replacement. There is however a very clear service life for timing BELTS on the 2.5l diesel which must be replaced regularly to avoid catastrophic failure.
Diamond Geezer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michaelr.
I was just pointing out that it is recommended in the AUS manual, three times in fact, THIS IS NOT MY OPINION, IT IS THEIRS.
You were very forthright with your IMHO saying that it is Total Rubbish and making it look like it was my opinion.
The manual is indeed a very useful compilation of information so there must be a reason for saying the chain needs to be replaced at 100,000 klms three times.
Did it get mixed up with a timing belt Question
I am a Motor engineer and can in most cases distinguish one noise from another but there are a lot of folks on this forum who can't and information like this needs to be precise if it is potentialy expensive or dangerous.

Cheers
Ian
THE KICK INSIDE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

could someone post a wav file or the like of the 'chuff chuff' noise...might help!
chrishoward63

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 13:56    Post subject: Chuff chuff Reply with quote

Is there anyway that someone can put this noise on the members sight, I have a noise on my lovely 400 but its doesn't sound like chuffing more like a ticking and yes i have searched and Can't seem to place it also other members have made suggestions to no avail.Boo.Hoo.thanks
tttonyyy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a loco chuff chuff.  You'd know it if you've got it, it's loudest over 3k rpm when the engine is loaded, IE going up a hill.

If you're worried about chain tension either lift the oil filler cap off and see if you can lift the chain from the sprocket with a screwdriver (you shouldn't be able to):

Or, with the oil filler cap off unbolt the tensioner from the side of the block (but hold it in place with your fingers).  When the bolts are out, remove the tensioner - if you hear it go "zzzzzk" then there was still travel on the tensioner and no problem with chain stretch.

Note that to refit the tensioner you have to do up the little clip on the side, like this:

...bolt it back in:

...then turn the engine over CLOCKWISE by hand on the crankshaft (22mm socket on the crank bolt) to knock the clip off - if you leave the filler cap off you can hear it go "zzzzk" as it retensions the chain, and the chain won't be slack if you poke it through the oil filler hole.  Sometimes requires a few short sharp clockwise jerks on the crankshaft to slap the chain against it and make the clip pop open.  Done it a few times now and you can tell when it hasn't come out with the old screwdriver through the oil filler hole trick, the chain is all flappy and slack if the tensioner hasn't popped out.
Max-rpm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

With reguard to the information from the Australian site. I've noticed from their site that they tend to have an ultra-cautious approach to Delica maintenance. This is because it's a big place and people who buy 4x4 vehicles tend to live or drive in remote regions. A breakdown that would be an inconvenience to us may have far more serious consequencies to them if they are stranded tens or hundreds of miles from help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: