4x4 Mart magazine discount

Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™
Mitsubishi Delica L300, L400 and D:5 Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms   Delica Club ShopClub Shop  MDOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
MDOCUK home pageMDOCUK Home  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs  Delica Club (CA)Delica Club (CA)  Delica Club (AUS)Delica Club (AUS)

S2 cool air issue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lerxt355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 19:45    Post subject: S2 cool air issue Reply with quote

Hi all, i did post about this sometime ago but never got to the bottom of the problem and wondered if anyone else has experianced the same issue.

I have an 05 series 2 V6 petrol.

If i set the cabin temp to 17 ( lowest setting ) without the AC on and set to fresh air I get cool ambient temp air coming through the vents, if i stop in traffic the incoming air rises until it is coming out hot, if i drive off again eventually the temp comes back down, this happens obviously when the weather is hot but also when it is warm but not so hot you'd need the AC,

I never had this issue with my S1 Diesel,

I have checked the operation of the actuated flaps and cold weather damper all appear to work and seat correctly, its as if the cool air only gets into the system when rammed in but the vehicle moving along,

I wonder if anyone else has this problem, I'm thinking maybe the V6 creates more heat and doesn't have the bonnet scoop so heat builds up more, and you have to run on climate control full time ?

Not a massive issue but does use more fuel with AC on,  just beginning to really irritate me !

Cheers Lerxt
2015 Merc C220 estate
2 x Labradors!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 19:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

annek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If of any use, same here.  Be interested to see responses too
lerxt355

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Annek, thanks, its good to know that its not just my truck !
2015 Merc C220 estate
2 x Labradors!
annek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give a bit more context for my interest... Just recently had complete air con service which failed to get air con working despite complete clear out and replacement oil\gases was still running hot. The same happened when simple regas attempted. Just ran hot stll

I then drove 800 miles and my air con is soo cold! Was extremely grateful of it during the scorchio 30's heat wave and so were the dogs!!  Although is very pathetic on the rear aircon.
andyman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Audi A4 whose diverter/mixer flaps didn't work properly. The aircon system also wouldn't keep gas pressure. So 3 days after trading in my convertible for said Audi, summer arrived, so I turned the heater off, and programmed the system for fresh air. Getting into a hot car in the afternoon, I turned the fan on full, and 5 minutes down the road it was blowing hot air! 10 minutes down the road, and finally onto dual carriageway, 70mph - and cool air at last. I reckoned the flaps needed a helping hand from the high-speed air! This happened regularly - the servo motors didn't seem to be able to move the flaps on their own! My L300 has good, old fashioned mechanical slider controls - easy to get a nice cool gale blowing into the cab, even while stationary.
lerxt355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is the diverter flaps, I physically checked them behind the dash operating, also if i drive off from cold start with A/C off and temp set to 17.5, i get cold air. if I drive for a few mins then select a higher temp, ( with the engine not fully up to temp ) I get heat as it should do, if I then go back to 17.5 i get cold air again, this tells me, I think, also that the flaps are operating correctly.
2015 Merc C220 estate
2 x Labradors!
andyman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree, so warm air from the engine bay would seem likely, much cooler once you are on the move. I thought they had stopped taking warm air from the engine bay with the demise of the Ford Pop E93A!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The L400 2.8TD has the air intake connected direct to the air scoop on the bonnet, so external air is always taken in, unless you press the recirculation button, which then cuts of external air flow and just sucks air back in from the interior side wall air bents in the back and the ones in the computer cover cowl, below the central dash section.

The V6 doesn't have a bonnet scoop and as I've not peeked under the bonnet of one I don't know how the air intake is set up.

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
annek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can add to that is that I can't really remember using the recirc button so air intake should've come from bonnet air chute.

Was blinking hot!
lerxt355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The v6 fresh air is connected directly to the bonnet chute via the fresh air duct on the underside of the bonnet,
2015 Merc C220 estate
2 x Labradors!
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify things..

Annek; what model is yours ?  The last I remember both of your were 2.8TD's ?

Copyright is retained for all my photos. Please don't copy them without asking permission
Do not blindly go where the path may lead you. Go where there is no path and leave a trail that others may follow!
ルイス
annek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Lewis, thats right.
andyman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe you are still suffering!
annek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was standing when the air was blowing so got, whilst trying to test aircon, it took a long run to cool it down..a couple of miles or so, and was v hit day.  Obvs when stationary no ext air coming in at speed, just still. So was heat of engine blowing in, certainly felt it, was melting on hot day with hot air blowing on me!
b3lha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

My S2 has a lever below the steering wheel on the left. It looks like a choke, but actually it is for ventillation.

My Japanese friend translated that page of the owners manual for me.

It's intended for use in very cold weather. When the lever is pulled out, the fresh air is sourced from a warm area in the engine bay rather than the outside.

If you have this lever, check that it is in the correct position.
annek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Am going to hunt for that..how helpful in the cold..is a facelift an 'S2' then?  Like an L400 series 2 or something?
annek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, did we lose functionality bon the wing mirrors that I hadn't eve realised I might have had on previous version, of opening wing mirrors automatically on wing mirror adjustment switch?
Lewis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

annek wrote:
........is a facelift an 'S2' then?  Like an L400 series 2 or something?

See this post:- http://www.MDOCUK.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30196   Wink

ルイス
Green Grouch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

b3lha wrote:
My S2 has a lever below the steering wheel on the left. It looks like a choke, but actually it is for ventillation.

My Japanese friend translated that page of the owners manual for me.

It's intended for use in very cold weather. When the lever is pulled out, the fresh air is sourced from a warm area in the engine bay rather than the outside.

If you have this lever, check that it is in the correct position.

Thanks for clearing up a mystery for me Smile

I can hear a flap doing something when knob is pulled.

Cheers
annek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't know anything about that lever, don't know how that can be, at this moment convinced mine doesn't have one,  but it must do, and that would explain the hot air entry!
where is it in relation to the diesel filler cap pull lever?

That was great Lewis, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mitsubishi Delica Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Delica L400 Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: